Westborough Police

Discussion forum for scanning Central Massachusetts, including the City of Worcester and Worcester County
KB1FJR

Westborough Police

#1 Post by KB1FJR » 01 Nov 2017 21:14

For Some reason I cannot hear Westborough Police on 482.3625 in Grafton at all I live by the Northbridge line. In Westborough and towns close to Westborough I can hear westborough police some what scratchy but clear. It doesn’t matter what radio or antenna I use.

Westborough Fire on 482.400 on the other hand is loud and clear at my house in Grafton even on the HT.

Westborough Police and Fire recently combined dispatch.

It appears that Westborough Police and Fire transmits from either the “Westboro” Water Tower on route 9 Behind BJs/former Mass Electric corporate offices or on the Fay Mountain.

My guess is that Westborough Fire are transmitting on the Fay Mountain tower and Westborough Police is probably transmitting either at reduced power or from the route 9 water tower.

Any ideas or info? I have given up on listening to Westborough Police from home they don’t even break squelch.

UHF 480 Mhz I have found to be not a very forgiving band to monitor in the grafton area. Very directional and I have to use back of set telescoping antennas since it tends to get noisy.

It wasn’t too long ago a lot of grafton area towns were on low band. I wish somehow they went to VHF high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrSvenSven

#2 Post by MrSvenSven » 02 Nov 2017 08:34

You aren't the first resident of South Grafton that I've heard complain about not being able to hear Westborough, however they aren't a town I usually keep in my scanner so I'm not sure how their coverage usually is. I did hear them this morning from Worcester.

If you look at a topo map you'll see that (assuming that they are transmitting from rt 9), there is no location in South Grafton that doesn't have an at least 600 foot hill in the way. The Rt 9 site looks right down Rt 9 and into downtown, so it probably gives them better in-town coverage than Fay Mountain which is higher but surrounded by other hills.

KB1FJR

#3 Post by KB1FJR » 02 Nov 2017 18:13

I am willing to accept not being able to hear Westboro Police as I can hear westboro fire. Since most of Westborough major population is in the downtown/route 9 area it makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KB1FJR

Re: Westborough Police

#4 Post by KB1FJR » 03 Jun 2018 21:29

Through out the past 2 weeks I have been able to hear Westborough Police at home in Grafton. I also have been able to hear them mobile as far as Auburn. Maybe its conditions but I seem to think maybe they have switched the transmitter site to Fay Mountain site the same as Fire.

deacon

Re: Westborough Police

#5 Post by deacon » 04 Jun 2018 08:40

Perhaps you should use a tuned UHF antenna. I have outstanding performance using an Ringo Ranger II tuned to the center of UHF band. I also employ a Advanced Receiver Research low noise preamp tuned to 453-483 mhz. From North Mashpee (Cape Cod) I am able to monitor Sharon, Randolph, Milton, etc. I use LMR 400 coax.

Chuck