Help finding certain freqs in greater Boston

Discussion forum for scanning Eastern Massachusetts, including Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex, and Essex counties, as well as the greater Boston metropolitan area.
scannermaster

Help finding certain freqs in greater Boston

#1 Post by scannermaster » 26 Dec 2018 23:03

Hi All,

I'd very much appreciate it if anyone could give me a hand finding the freqs for these agencies/companies. I think this is one of the joys and draws of the hobby -- researching and listening and ferreting out these difficult to find channels. I've tried but have had no luck with these:

1) Red Cross Boston Area -- They used to use 47.42 and 47.58 but that was years ago. They're probably just on cell phones now but does anyone know if they still use any two-way comms?

2) Mass Army National Guard -- I used to hear them during storms and the Marathon on their 139 and 142 MHz freqs and also some at 49 MHz, but haven't heard them in years. Anyone know what they're using now? Am I just missing them and if so do they have a roll call time at all?

3) Boston Public School Buses -- I see these buses with what appears to be VHF whip antennas on the top front of their roofs. I can't find any city of Boston freq that would match that. I've looked in the database for freqs used by the transportation company that has the contract (Veola or something like that, formerly something else and also First Student -- I checked all the licenses) and nothing matches up that's obvious. Have done some listening with no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

4) Eastern Bus Company -- They have the school bus contract in Newton and other cities. They are based in Somerville. There are no licenses I've found in the database. You can see a small antenna, appears to be a UHF or 800/900 antenna, off the front side of the buses. I got a peek inside a bus and they are using what appears to be older style Motorola mobiles. A driver said the channels are very busy. Could be UHF or it looks like older style 900. Have listened to the DMR 900 MHz trunks and found nothing.

5) Prudential Center Shops Security -- Went with the Mrs. there and while she shopped I listened and could not find them. Checked that 470 MHz channel they've had for years. Also some DMR channels licensed to the Prudential Center. Maybe they just weren't talking but never heard anything.

6) Gas company Boston/Greater Boston. I gather this is National Grid. I've looked in the SNE database and couldn't find it. Tried old Boston Gas channels with no luck. Are they just not using radios anymore does anyone know?

7) Galleria Mall, Cambridge -- They used to be on the state system but I haven't heard them in a while.

8) Finally, a handful of college security channels...I see these are in the databases but I've had no luck hearing them:
a) Curry College -- does anyone know definitely what's being used?
b) Roxbury Community College
c) Mass Bay Community College (Wellesley)
d) Emmanuel College
e) Regis College (Weston) (I think they may have gone DMR)

Thanks very much,

Rich Barnett

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Re: Help finding certain freqs in greater Boston

#2 Post by ecps92 » 27 Dec 2018 06:49

WoW - a Blast from the Past :Bruins: :celtics: :sox: :Pats:
Welcome Richard

Lots of the info is in the Wiki's, but is always in need of Validation

1. Yes they still have Radios in the Response Vehicles, but do tend to rely on Cellular [Confirmed at a Command Post Rally]
Not there is a UHF in Worcester which does CWID Beacon
http://www.scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?t ... _Red_Cross

2. Low Band is still used, linked to the HUB on Mt. Wachusett [Low Band the forgotten Band]
Some P25 use has also been reported - No Roll Calls, but activity does occur the week before the Marathon, 4th of July and First Night
Even "Central" from the FED Bands who used to have a New England wide ROLL Call at 0830 stopped years ago
http://www.scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?t ... Operations

3. Boston School Buses - Contracted and generally PVT Calls
http://www.scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?t ... Trbo_Trunk

4. Unknown / Not Reported

5. Prudential aka Boston Properties and Avalon at Pru have some 450-460 Channels
http://www.scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?t ... io_Systems

6. Boston Gas aka National Grid [Gas] seem to be on Cellular and [Data] from seeing the vehicles and no one using a Portable outside of the vehicles
unlike the Electric side that still heavily relies on two-way

7. Galleria was heard back in Nov on the UHF
http://www.scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?t ... encies_A-H

8. Many schools moving to DMR and P25
scannermaster wrote:
26 Dec 2018 23:03
Hi All,

I'd very much appreciate it if anyone could give me a hand finding the freqs for these agencies/companies. I think this is one of the joys and draws of the hobby -- researching and listening and ferreting out these difficult to find channels. I've tried but have had no luck with these:

1) Red Cross Boston Area -- They used to use 47.42 and 47.58 but that was years ago. They're probably just on cell phones now but does anyone know if they still use any two-way comms?

2) Mass Army National Guard -- I used to hear them during storms and the Marathon on their 139 and 142 MHz freqs and also some at 49 MHz, but haven't heard them in years. Anyone know what they're using now? Am I just missing them and if so do they have a roll call time at all?

3) Boston Public School Buses -- I see these buses with what appears to be VHF whip antennas on the top front of their roofs. I can't find any city of Boston freq that would match that. I've looked in the database for freqs used by the transportation company that has the contract (Veola or something like that, formerly something else and also First Student -- I checked all the licenses) and nothing matches up that's obvious. Have done some listening with no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

4) Eastern Bus Company -- They have the school bus contract in Newton and other cities. They are based in Somerville. There are no licenses I've found in the database. You can see a small antenna, appears to be a UHF or 800/900 antenna, off the front side of the buses. I got a peek inside a bus and they are using what appears to be older style Motorola mobiles. A driver said the channels are very busy. Could be UHF or it looks like older style 900. Have listened to the DMR 900 MHz trunks and found nothing.

5) Prudential Center Shops Security -- Went with the Mrs. there and while she shopped I listened and could not find them. Checked that 470 MHz channel they've had for years. Also some DMR channels licensed to the Prudential Center. Maybe they just weren't talking but never heard anything.

6) Gas company Boston/Greater Boston. I gather this is National Grid. I've looked in the SNE database and couldn't find it. Tried old Boston Gas channels with no luck. Are they just not using radios anymore does anyone know?

7) Galleria Mall, Cambridge -- They used to be on the state system but I haven't heard them in a while.

8) Finally, a handful of college security channels...I see these are in the databases but I've had no luck hearing them:
d) Emmanuel College

Thanks very much,

Rich Barnett
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

#3 Post by W1KNE » 27 Dec 2018 10:43

scannermaster wrote:
26 Dec 2018 23:03
d) Emmanuel College
Curry is DMR. 452.7625, CC10. I heard them talking about something that made them identifiable a month ago.
Security comms too. I don't think they use it a lot, as I only have heard it the one time despite being programmed in the scanner for months.
(Although I also don't monitor it often)
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#4 Post by ScanBoston » 27 Dec 2018 13:03

MA Army National Guard:
142.5625 Rptr PL 167.9 Princeton Rptr

140.525 156.7
49.930 Rptr PL 110.9 Plymouth Rptr
49.790 Rptr PL 131.8 Worcester Rptr

There is also a repearter on Prospect hill in Waltham just don't remember the frequency. T

Overall I only hear them when they are preparing for an exercise or the marathon etc.

scannermaster

#5 Post by scannermaster » 27 Dec 2018 22:42

Great to hear from you guys again. Sorry I've been so quiet, just been focused on other projects since the books have lost their luster in the face of the Internet. I do miss researching and putting together the guides and always very much appreciated the help I received from the community.

Thank you all very much for all the great info. And John, if you can find/remember that Army National Guard channel from Prospect Hill I'd really appreciate it. You mention only hearing them during Exercises or the Marathon week, but what about during major storms? I haven't heard them at all.

Rich

scannermaster

#6 Post by scannermaster » 27 Dec 2018 23:16

By the way, I'm pretty certain 464.425 D205 is the Copley Place Mall and not the Cambridgeside Galleria security.

jrm3607

#7 Post by jrm3607 » 28 Dec 2018 00:51

scannermaster wrote:
27 Dec 2018 23:16
By the way, I'm pretty certain 464.425 D205 is the Copley Place Mall and not the Cambridgeside Galleria security.
Confirmed Cambridgeside Galleria Security and Maintenance today, still TG 1223 on the Cambridge P25 system. They have started to buy 800MHz APX radios, so i doubt they have any plans to switch off the trunk.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#8 Post by ecps92 » 28 Dec 2018 06:33

Hmmm, got them on the input freq and they were talking about Alarm Systems and Cambridge Fire [CFD]
when I caught them last month, while sitting outside the Museum of Science
scannermaster wrote:
27 Dec 2018 23:16
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#9 Post by ecps92 » 28 Dec 2018 06:34

John, for some reason I don't think the 139 Mhz is there anymore [Waltham]
ScanBoston wrote:
27 Dec 2018 13:03
MA Army National Guard:
142.5625 Rptr PL 167.9 Princeton Rptr

140.525 156.7
49.930 Rptr PL 110.9 Plymouth Rptr
49.790 Rptr PL 131.8 Worcester Rptr

There is also a repearter on Prospect hill in Waltham just don't remember the frequency. T

Overall I only hear them when they are preparing for an exercise or the marathon etc.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#10 Post by ScanBoston » 28 Dec 2018 07:36

John, for some reason I don't think the 139 Mhz is there anymore [Waltham]
Thanks Bill, I will investigate.

On The Pru (Boston Properties) I was not aware they had made any change. The only change I have seen visually is that some of the security folks carry small Kenwood radios and less Motorola. Still sounded analog last I heard them. However I will say after doing an FCC search last night I was amazed at how many repeater licenses I came up between both the Pru and 200 Clarendon (former Hancock Tower) which they now also manage. So if they did move it might take some time to find them. They also have a new license for the new building at North Station that they manage for Delaware North.

Prudential Tower 800 Boylston
451.9000R WPTE605
461.1750R
463.7750R
463.5000R WNYS969
461.6750R WNIW457
461.5000R KNE2651
484.0125R KNP388
472.0625R WIJ885
451.7250R WQNC814
452.7250R
451.6875M, 456.6875M

200 Clarendon (Former Hancock Tower)
464.8500R WNIM395
461.7250R WPBD898
463.7750R WPLR608
464.7250R WQGU691

(new) 100 Legends Way
451.4500R
452.4500R

OceanNora

#11 Post by OceanNora » 28 Dec 2018 13:27

3) The Capacity Plus system BPS uses is very odd. The only non-private calls I've heard have gone over TGs 110, 120, 122, 130, 140, and 150. Most were looking for drivers in particular areas to help with pickups, I haven't listened enough lately to pin down if they're assigned by areas or school (High School, Middle School, etc.) The only interesting thing I've heard over a TG was on 150 when the safety desk was talking about School Police.

4) - I believe Eastern Bus Company is TG 600023 on the OneVoice UHF Connect Plus system. It's definitely a bus company that picks up in Newton (Ward and Underwood Schools were mentioned). Most traffic seems to be radio checks from buses around 1-3 p.m. If someone else could have a listen with more local knowledge I think we could conclusively pin it down as that.

7) I still hear Galleria Security on the Cambridge system, and when monitoring 464.4250 D205 from just northeast of Boston all traffic seems to be Copley-related based on the stores and streets mentioned. I haven't attempted to monitor the frequency from around the Galleria so it could be low-power sharing the same frequency and tone with Copley for all I know.

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

#12 Post by W1KNE » 28 Dec 2018 14:04

ScanBoston wrote:
28 Dec 2018 07:36
200 Clarendon (Former Hancock Tower)
464.8500R WNIM395
461.7250R WPBD898 Custodial Services - D464
463.7750R WPLR608 Building electricians - 114.8
464.7250R WQGU691 Security - 107.2
Hancock Information off of the radios on 60, in bold.
This was as of November-December last year.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

scannermaster

#13 Post by scannermaster » 29 Dec 2018 00:12

Regarding the Eastern Bus Co info, is this the system you're referring to OceanNora?

System ID: Network 171/Site 69 - MA - Boston, with freqs 464.825, 472.450 and 472.050? I assume that's a MotoTrbo system?

Strange, I used to hear that Galleria channel all the time and haven't in a while. It was such a busy channel I thought maybe they got kicked off the system. I'll double check my programming.

OceanNora

#14 Post by OceanNora » 29 Dec 2018 13:19

That's correct for Eastern Bus, Network 171 Site 69. That talkgroup is one of only a few regularly active on that system on the Boston site.

I just left my 436 recording last night into this morning on the Galleria Mall Security TG and can confirm it's still active with traffic that confirms it's still used by them.

7d) I had the opportunity to take a look at a radio that had among other colleges Emmanuel. It was on an XPR DMR radio and the audio was definitely DMR . I'm not 100% familiar with the Motorola DMR radios but the Emmanuel frequency had a closed padlock on the screen whenever there was traffic so I believe it may unfortunately be encrypted. They also made use of the "All-Call" TG. I've picked up 451.7875 with a Color Code of 15 on my 436 with encrypted "All-Call" TG traffic so I believe it may be them.

scannermaster

#15 Post by scannermaster » 29 Dec 2018 13:32

Thanks very much OceanNora. Great info, very much appreciated.

Here's another channel I'm interested in. The Longwood Medical Area has a network that all the area hospitals are on, is it still run by MASCO?. There's a channel for the hospitals to communicate during emergencies. It's not the city of Boston hospital network VHF channel which is encrypted. It's run by the Longwood group and I've been told it's NXDN.

Just been reviewing this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=40474&p=145086&hil ... od#p145086

Which confirms NXDN. Is there any more info out there? It's NXDN on 464.800 or 464.7875 conventional?

Rich

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#16 Post by ecps92 » 29 Dec 2018 14:38

Was analog LTR, now DMR, but not much info
http://www.scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?title=MASCO_LTR
scannermaster wrote:
29 Dec 2018 13:32

Here's another channel I'm interested in. The Longwood Medical Area has a network that all the area hospitals are on, is it still run by MASCO?. There's a channel for the hospitals to communicate during emergencies. It's not the city of Boston hospital network VHF channel which is encrypted. It's run by the Longwood group and I've been told it's NXDN.

Which confirms NXDN. Is there any more info out there? It's NXDN on 464.800 or 464.7875 conventional?

Rich
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

MASSBUSMARK

#17 Post by MASSBUSMARK » 29 Dec 2018 21:05

Eastern Bus Company is the school bus provider for Newton Public Schools. They also have the contracts for school bus transportation for Cambridge, Medford and Northeast Metropolitan Vocational High School in Wakefield. They may still have the contract for Wellesley Public Schools, I know they did at one time. They also have the contract for Billerica Public Schools, but the Billerica buses operate on the town of Billerica licensed frequency of 47.54 DPL 432.
Mark

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#18 Post by garys » 29 Dec 2018 22:15

At least some of those frequencies are NXDN, but others might be DMR. Which doesn't seem to make any sense. 464.600 and 464.7875 seem to be in the NXDN trunk which is on the Baptist.

There should be good line of sight from Big Blue to the Baptist. Some day, I'll maybe have the time to sit up there and listen for a while.
ecps92 wrote:
29 Dec 2018 14:38
Was analog LTR, now DMR, but not much info
http://www.scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?title=MASCO_LTR
scannermaster wrote:
29 Dec 2018 13:32

Rich
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

Mark SNE Moderator
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#19 Post by Mark SNE Moderator » 30 Dec 2018 20:07

If I may add to this;

This website has arguably the best information for frequencies in and around the New England area. I'd suggest anything that has been confirmed here be submitted to www.radioreference.com for submission into their database. The trend in scanners seems to be moving towards the "pre-programmed" style of the Uniden Home Patrols and the 536/436 and SDS100 model scanners that utilize the radioreference database. I know there are still many that prefer to program their scanners to their unique specifications but I also feel this will help newer members to the hobby that are relying on the Radio Reference Database (RRDB) to monitor as much or as little as they prefer.

I think the more information that's available to the masses can only help.
Mark,

Scan New England Moderator

On Twitter @marksheehan17
http://www.tsviewer.com/locate_user.php ... &sID=42201

kenny

#20 Post by kenny » 31 Dec 2018 11:59

scannermaster wrote:
27 Dec 2018 22:42
Great to hear from you guys again. Sorry I've been so quiet, just been focused on other projects since the books have lost their luster in the face of the Internet. I do miss researching and putting together the guides and always very much appreciated the help I received from the community.

Rich
I for one have to say, I do miss the books. Wish they were still published, very handy to keep near the scanners for a quick lookup.
Thanks for publishing them for all those years.

scannermaster

#21 Post by scannermaster » 02 Jan 2019 09:26

Thank you, Kenny. That's very kind and very much appreciated. I was very grateful that the books had such a loyal following all those years.

scannermaster

#22 Post by scannermaster » 09 Jan 2019 08:55

OceanNora wrote:
29 Dec 2018 13:19
That's correct for Eastern Bus, Network 171 Site 69. That talkgroup is one of only a few regularly active on that system on the Boston site.

I just left my 436 recording last night into this morning on the Galleria Mall Security TG and can confirm it's still active with traffic that confirms it's still used by them.

7d) I had the opportunity to take a look at a radio that had among other colleges Emmanuel. It was on an XPR DMR radio and the audio was definitely DMR . I'm not 100% familiar with the Motorola DMR radios but the Emmanuel frequency had a closed padlock on the screen whenever there was traffic so I believe it may unfortunately be encrypted. They also made use of the "All-Call" TG. I've picked up 451.7875 with a Color Code of 15 on my 436 with encrypted "All-Call" TG traffic so I believe it may be them.
I've been listening to the Eastern Bus Mototrbo system and you're right, there are a few mentions of Newton Schools, but it's so sparse and it to me sounds like a separate transport company maybe for special needs kids or something else. I was told by a regular Eastern bus driver that their channels were very busy, another reason why I'm not sure this UHF system is the right one although I thought for sure it would be. Anyway, I appreciate your help OceanNora and if you have any other ideas please let me know.

I did confirm as well the Galleria channel. I had mis-programmed that, got it now. Also confirmed the Boston school bus VHF system, thanks to Mark on that one.

We need a good snowstorm to get things cooking radio-wise. Wish we could get a nor'easter for the game on Sunday. That would've been perfect.

Rich

OceanNora

#23 Post by OceanNora » 09 Jan 2019 11:46

This is both the fun and the annoyance that comes with trying to identify rented frequencies/talkgroups, it basically comes down to educated guessing or hoping that they say their company name on the air. Give TG 1-10-101 on the Dispatch LTR Boston site a try, it's definitely a school bus company operating in the Waltham/Newton/Lexington area but I'm just not familiar enough with the players in the area to get an ID. I've also found writing down unit ID's heard and matching them with what I see on the roads to be helpful.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#24 Post by garys » 09 Jan 2019 15:44

Are you referring to the former Waltham site now in Boston or the original Boston site?

I haven't had a chance to listen to the D&D trunk during school hours, but it's on my list. I've been working on some other unknown sites and systems. As you note, there's a lot of guess work or the occasional mention of something that confirms who the user is. Also some sitting around in odd places with the mobile SDR set up running.
OceanNora wrote:
09 Jan 2019 11:46
This is both the fun and the annoyance that comes with trying to identify rented frequencies/talkgroups, it basically comes down to educated guessing or hoping that they say their company name on the air. Give TG 1-10-101 on the Dispatch LTR Boston site a try, it's definitely a school bus company operating in the Waltham/Newton/Lexington area but I'm just not familiar enough with the players in the area to get an ID. I've also found writing down unit ID's heard and matching them with what I see on the roads to be helpful.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

OceanNora

#25 Post by OceanNora » 10 Jan 2019 00:09

That would be the original Boston site, I still have the old Metro Repeater site marked as Waltham in my scanners even though the site has apparently been moved.