HELP

A forum for discussion of the many trunked radio systems in and around our listening area.
jvaillancourt

HELP

#1 Post by jvaillancourt » 30 Mar 2019 07:45

When looking at a trunked system how do you know which site (that contains the freqs) go with all the different talk groups? Specifically, I'm referring to the Mass State Police trunking system but I've had the same question with different systems. In MSP there are 24 different sites listed each with a list of 6-9 freq and probably over 50 TG. How do I know what site to input for say, the MA environmental police? Do I choose the site closest to my location?

garys

Re: HELP

#2 Post by garys » 30 Mar 2019 09:40

It would be easier to answer if you mentioned which troops you are trying to hear.

There is also a lot of overlap between Zones and many Talk Groups are carried on multiple Zones.

That being said, here is a very rough guide.

Zone 1 carries non State Police traffic, mostly in the greater Boston area.

Zone 3 covers Southeast MA.

Zone 4 covers the Upper Cape.

Zone 5 covers most of eastern MA, from NH down to RI along the I-95 corridor.

Zone 6 covers the outer Cape.

Zone 8 covers Central MA, mostly Worcester County.

From there it gets a bit more complicated because coverage on 800 Mhz can be tough. I have my scanner set up with most of the western MA analog sites. I also have a separate system with the western MA P25 sites. Again, I have all of the sites programmed in. I generally don't get west of Springfield, but from my listening out that far, there both analog and digital systems are active out there.

You don't need to program in the Boston area 700 Mhz as there is no MSP traffic there.

Again, give us a better idea of what you want to listen to and we can give more specific advice.
jvaillancourt wrote:
30 Mar 2019 07:45
When looking at a trunked system how do you know which site (that contains the freqs) go with all the different talk groups? Specifically, I'm referring to the Mass State Police trunking system but I've had the same question with different systems. In MSP there are 24 different sites listed each with a list of 6-9 freq and probably over 50 TG. How do I know what site to input for say, the MA environmental police? Do I choose the site closest to my location?
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

ScanBoston

#3 Post by ScanBoston » 30 Mar 2019 10:32

If your talking talkgroups they don't care what site you are listening too. You want to basically listen to the site you receive the best. If your mobile you want several sites if your base just the site you get the best. If the MSP was system was a real smart zone system you'd hear every talkgroup that a radio was affiliated with your site. But they are not so you will instead hear every talkgroup mapped to your site with a few extra affiliations. But typically you'll hear everything you want to hear in your area.

jvaillancourt

#4 Post by jvaillancourt » 04 Apr 2019 08:45

garys wrote:
30 Mar 2019 09:40
It would be easier to answer if you mentioned which troops you are trying to hear.

There is also a lot of overlap between Zones and many Talk Groups are carried on multiple Zones.

That being said, here is a very rough guide.

Zone 1 carries non State Police traffic, mostly in the greater Boston area.

Zone 3 covers Southeast MA.

Zone 4 covers the Upper Cape.

Zone 5 covers most of eastern MA, from NH down to RI along the I-95 corridor.

Zone 6 covers the outer Cape.

Zone 8 covers Central MA, mostly Worcester County.

From there it gets a bit more complicated because coverage on 800 Mhz can be tough. I have my scanner set up with most of the western MA analog sites. I also have a separate system with the western MA P25 sites. Again, I have all of the sites programmed in. I generally don't get west of Springfield, but from my listening out that far, there both analog and digital systems are active out there.

You don't need to program in the Boston area 700 Mhz as there is no MSP traffic there.

Again, give us a better idea of what you want to listen to and we can give more specific advice.
jvaillancourt wrote:

Thanks for the info. I wasn't really looking for anything specific, just whatever I was able to hear from my location.

ecps92

#5 Post by ecps92 » 04 Apr 2019 09:34

Without your location being listed in the message or you profile, we can only talk in generalities, and since the MSP Operate on two Systems [the old Analog and the ComIRS P25] giving you and answer is hard.

What we need is
a. You Location
b. What Site you are attempting to listen to [sometimes called a Zone]
jvaillancourt wrote:
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"