SDS200 Observations

Scanners, antennas, coax, filters, amplifiers, demodulators...you get the idea. Scanning equipment questions, answers, and discussion belongs here!

deacon

Re: SDS200 Observations

#26 Post by deacon » 30 Apr 2019 18:57

Does Uniden and/or SNE announce when a firmware update is available for the SDS200?? I have been running two SDS200's for several weeks. The firmware upgrades have taken care of the issues I have had. However, AM air does not seem to perform as well as the 996XT.

Chuck

W1KNE

#27 Post by W1KNE » 01 May 2019 14:32

On the Radio Reference forum for Uniden Tech Support, Paul Optiz does. They've been mostly updating them on Fridays...
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

deacon

#28 Post by deacon » 01 May 2019 16:12

Thank you

Scott

#29 Post by Scott » 01 May 2019 18:19

It usually trickles down to SNE too....but as Mike says RR is the place for that, and the subsequent discussion is sometimes productive and at times hilarious. They are (over)due for a new one....I truly hope they will add a fast way to get to filters. That's a biggie from where I sit. But I'm adjusting to these scanners, both the SDS200 and the 100 that I now have. I think there is a lot of possibility here. There could be some pretty nifty paid upgrades for these scanners, especially the 200, coming along. And as I expect Uniden will be all SDR tech going forward these originals should have a pretty good support window for a while.
Scott

garys

#30 Post by garys » 01 May 2019 22:49

The last SDS update was April 15, so it might be a while. As I mentioned at RR, it would be nice to be able to add per frequency filters for conventional systems. So far, I've had overall good results with "Wide Inverted" when I've needed to add filtering.

I think you're right about SDR, but only for their upper level scanners. There are still some, maybe many, people that will be happy with a less capable scanner. Which might be why the x35HP scanners are still in production.

Uniden certainly has enough connectors to add hardware options if they come up with them.
Scott wrote:
01 May 2019 18:19
It usually trickles down to SNE too....but as Mike says RR is the place for that, and the subsequent discussion is sometimes productive and at times hilarious. They are (over)due for a new one....I truly hope they will add a fast way to get to filters. That's a biggie from where I sit. But I'm adjusting to these scanners, both the SDS200 and the 100 that I now have. I think there is a lot of possibility here. There could be some pretty nifty paid upgrades for these scanners, especially the 200, coming along. And as I expect Uniden will be all SDR tech going forward these originals should have a pretty good support window for a while.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

Scott

#31 Post by Scott » 02 May 2019 14:07

I was talking about per-channel filters in one of the threads too and it was brought up that at some point enough may be enough in that regard, in other words, the amount of capacity that takes up in system memory might bring the thing to a crawl. So I think it's a great idea but I also think maybe they would limit the amount of channels that could be used with it. After all not every channel is going to need filtering, so that would be a good compromise if they can't offer it for all. I hope they do eventually get to that point but I'd be happy for starters if I didn't have to drill down to and out of 5,073 menu levels to change a filter!

As far as down the road enhancements I think it would be cool to be able to dump data out to a spectrum display screen for a point/click/tune option. A spectrum display on the 200's screen would be "okay" but it's small by comparison when you've already been spoiled by the likes of SDR# and SDR-Console software. But no doubt lots of possibilities hopefully forthcoming!
Scott

W1KNE

#32 Post by W1KNE » 05 May 2019 13:20

So the hum was driving me nuts, and based on a suggestion, I squeezed the scanner really hard where the "foil piece" was, and poof. The noise is now almost 100% gone!
The suggestion in the thread is, the foil piece is meant to ground the front display to the main PCB/chassis of the scanner, as the noise is data noise on the interface to the front panel getting into the audio amplifier. And that the foil, even after installed, doesn't make good contact. One intrepid poster added a couple of layers of copper to "thicken" it some for better contact.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

deacon

#33 Post by deacon » 07 May 2019 13:32

I filed a complaint with Uniden about the less than stellar analog reception of my new SDS100 and two SDS200. Here is their reply. I am 72 years of age, and have been purchasing Uniden radios since day one. To me, this has all the smell of a bait and switch. The analog limitation was not disclosed by Uniden. For me, I now have to reprogram radios given this analog limitation. The old man is pixxed.

MAY 07, 2019 | 10:11AM CDT
Caleb replied:
Good Day,

Thank you for contacting Uniden! We apologize this is happening, the new scanners are designed to handle LSM first and foremost and do not pick up analog as well as older scanners that were only designed for one type of system scanning.

Thank you,
Caleb

Thank you for Choosing Uniden!
Caleb
Uniden Tech Supervisor

garys

#34 Post by garys » 07 May 2019 17:04

I think Caleb is wrong. With "Wide Normal" I get very good reception on analog UHF and VHF. Not to mention on the MSP Smartnet analog trunk.
What we really need, or maybe RR needs is a "SDS Filter Settings" forum so people can experiment with different settings and get share their results.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

deacon

#35 Post by deacon » 07 May 2019 18:44

I will try wide normal and see what happens. I live near JBCC and notice the difference on the AM band. Thank you for the input.

garys

#36 Post by garys » 07 May 2019 22:44

AM aircraft is the only disappointment I've found so far with the SDS200. The 436Hp and 536HP (before it died) with the latest firmware are much better on AM aircraft.
deacon wrote:
07 May 2019 18:44
I will try wide normal and see what happens. I live near JBCC and notice the difference on the AM band. Thank you for the input.

garys

#37 Post by garys » 11 May 2019 14:49

Continuing the experimentation, I've changed Global to "Normal" filtering. Overall, that seems to work very well. I'm still fooling around with the ICE system. I had it set to "Invert" and it didn't seem to work all that well. I changed some of the site settings to "Wide Normal" and have seen some improvement.

I'm going to change those same six or so sites to "Normal" and see if it does anything. There are 36 sites in that system, so it's a PITA to change them all every time. I figure that by experimenting with settings on sites I'm most frequently within range of, I can get a good idea of what will work across most of the sites.

Normal has produced really good results on UHF and VHF analog at least for me.

I really do wish that there was a better explanation of what each setting does. Maybe there is over at RR, but if so, I've missed it.

I was going to suggest an "Omnibus SDS Filter" thread over there, but with UPMan gone for the foreseeable future, I don't know if there is any point.

W1KNE

#38 Post by W1KNE » 13 May 2019 10:13

I am having great UHF and VHF analog reception for the most part. I am still skeptical sometimes, as I feel like it should be picking up things it may not be. (My SDS-100 I am thinking has become somewhat deaf, and I need to do a side-by-side on it). I hope to get a 2nd outdoor antenna put up this year as well.

With regards to the noise, I got it down to almost nothing now. There is a trick however. They give you a foil piece to ground the front panel to the body of the scanner. The problem is the way the foil makes contact isn't good. It doesn't have any positive pressure, so it's not a good conductor. The fix was to take electrical tape, and affix a small zip tie to the case. The case becomes VERY tight to put on, but it is because it is pressing down on the foil now. Assembled it all back together, and it's now virtually noise free.
Mike Fitzpatrick

garys

#39 Post by garys » 13 May 2019 12:21

I don't have a severe noise problem, but have noticed the hum when I'm in my truck with the engine off. When driving, the background noise covers the noise. However, I have noticed that when I have the SDS200 running, the FM broadcast signal is degraded on my JVC aftermarket radio. So, I wonder if better shielding via the the Uniden kit would help.

Can you post a couple of pictures of what you did? Or is it too much of a PITA to take it apart again?
W1KNE wrote:
13 May 2019 10:13
I am having great UHF and VHF analog reception for the most part. I am still skeptical sometimes, as I feel like it should be picking up things it may not be. (My SDS-100 I am thinking has become somewhat deaf, and I need to do a side-by-side on it). I hope to get a 2nd outdoor antenna put up this year as well.

With regards to the noise, I got it down to almost nothing now. There is a trick however. They give you a foil piece to ground the front panel to the body of the scanner. The problem is the way the foil makes contact isn't good. It doesn't have any positive pressure, so it's not a good conductor. The fix was to take electrical tape, and affix a small zip tie to the case. The case becomes VERY tight to put on, but it is because it is pressing down on the foil now. Assembled it all back together, and it's now virtually noise free.

Mark SNE Moderator

#40 Post by Mark SNE Moderator » 13 May 2019 20:11

A scanner that costs close to $700 and we are talking foil and electrical tape? No thanks, I'll pass on even considering this scanner.

W1KNE wrote:
13 May 2019 10:13

Mark,

Scan New England Moderator

On Twitter @marksheehan17
http://www.tsviewer.com/locate_user.php ... &sID=42201

W1KNE

#41 Post by W1KNE » 14 May 2019 07:29

garys wrote:
13 May 2019 12:21
Can you post a couple of pictures of what you did? Or is it too much of a PITA to take it apart again?
The thing is, it's wedged in and working great. I don't want to change dislodging it or having it not work as well.

Mark SNE Moderator wrote:
13 May 2019 20:11
A scanner that costs close to $700 and we are talking foil and electrical tape? No thanks, I'll pass on even considering this scanner.
This scanner is really more designed for people listening to Simulcast and LSM systems. For the average user, using analog, it's not really worth it.
The 536 does a nice job in its place. I really hope that Uniden looks to build a scanner with the 536 "engine" and the SDS display, however I get the
feeling as more and more of these simulcast systems come online, they are going to primarily focus on the SDR route.

I fully expect a "HomePatrol III" to come out with this technology at some point.

Also it is an excellent DMR performer, the best sounding DMR scanner I have ever heard, so there is that too.
Mike Fitzpatrick

ecps92

#42 Post by ecps92 » 14 May 2019 07:33

I was laughing at that post [seen on RR] where the Vendor said and I am paraphrasing
"Our concern and interest was not in making a scanner to listen to Analog signals, but one that handles LSM and Simulcast"

So, we need 1 Scanner for Analog and 1 Scanner for DMR and 1 Scanner for P25 :Bruins:
Glad Scott sold off his 898T collection !

W1KNE wrote:
14 May 2019 07:29
Mark SNE Moderator wrote:
13 May 2019 20:11
This scanner is really more designed for people listening to Simulcast and LSM systems. For the average user, using analog, it's not really worth it.
The 536 does a nice job in its place. I really hope that Uniden looks to build a scanner with the 536 "engine" and the SDS display, however I get the
feeling as more and more of these simulcast systems come online, they are going to primarily focus on the SDR route.

I fully expect a "HomePatrol III" to come out with this technology at some point.

Also it is an excellent DMR performer, the best sounding DMR scanner I have ever heard, so there is that too.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

garys

#43 Post by garys » 14 May 2019 08:43

W1KNE wrote:

The thing is, it's wedged in and working great. I don't want to change dislodging it or having it not work as well.
Completely understandable.

W1KNE wrote:
I'm still sorting through the ICE system trying to get optimal performance. My x36HP scanners have better performance, but since they in my house and not in my truck, it's not really a valid comparison. Yesterdays, I set the filters for all sites to "Off" and it seems to work better. When it does receive the audio is excellent.

Digital is really good whether it's P25, NXDN, or DMR.

I think we are in one of the last big metro areas (other than New York City) where analog is still prevalent. At that, ME, CT, NH, and RI, are all moving away from analog.

jbella

#44 Post by jbella » 14 May 2019 08:56

Kinda funny that depending on the number of channels you actively monitor, the best and cheapest bet now for analog and even conventional digital may be /\/\otorola.

garys

#45 Post by garys » 14 May 2019 12:18

Not unless you want to buy several expensive and not that easy to program radios. I suppose if you were wealthy enough you could buy an APX 8000 multi band.

For analog and P25 Phase 1 I'm having good results with my WS 1065. It has the intermod problem on 800 that these scanners have had since the PSR600 days, but attenuation fixes that. It's really good on the 700Mhz overlay. Most of the Phase 2 talk groups are encrypted anyway, so that's not a concern.

Also, the x36HP scanners with the latest firmware are great on all modes and frequency ranges. If not for the weak display on the 536HP, I'd give serious consideration to selling my SDS200 and keeping my 536HP as my mobile scanner. The Siren app has become unstable with the latest versions of the Android OS, so using it is a PITA.

We may live in one of the last areas of the country where the BC780 is a viable scanner if you only need analog. If I were monitoring only the MSP trunk system, the 780 would be a cheap and reliable option.
jbella wrote:
14 May 2019 08:56
Kinda funny that depending on the number of channels you actively monitor, the best and cheapest bet now for analog and even conventional digital may be /\/\otorola.

jbella

#46 Post by jbella » 15 May 2019 10:15

I was talking about the XTS series which are readily available on the fleaBay for only a couple hundred bucks. And they are as easy to program as the SDS scanners.

And no, I'm not talking about trunked and the hidden talk group method, etc. I'm talking about simple conventional analog/digital LMR.

That being said I've got an APX, XTS, 436, 536 and an SDS100. My opinion is that for this area, there isn't much benefit to buying an SDS for now. I haven't seen a significant improvement on the MSP systems over the #36.