Indoor Antenna

Scanners, antennas, coax, filters, amplifiers, demodulators...you get the idea. Scanning equipment questions, answers, and discussion belongs here!
chiefj

Indoor Antenna

Post by chiefj »

Now that I have the coax connection, I am not fond of the receiving capability of the Com all band antenna, which is basically a collapsable antenna.

Any recommendations for something I can put on a windowsill? I mostly use my HomePatrol to monitor the 400 and 800 bands.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson
Scott
Site Administrator

Re: Indoor Antenna

Post by Scott »

You may laugh at this but I wonder if you could fabricate a neat indoor install using these, tucked into a corner near a window. I can't vouch for how they perform but they may be worth a try.

https://centerfireantenna.com/folded-di ... -antennas/

These get good reviews as portable antennas:

https://edsantennas.weebly.com/
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"
Scanner Master Customer Service Rep
chiefj

Post by chiefj »

Thanks Scott....but I do not think my wife would approve of either sitting on a windowsill.

Any thoughts on these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X2LJ4HB?th ... s_li_ss_tl

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXZDSNK?th ... s_li_ss_tl
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson
murphcc1

Post by murphcc1 »

On the left is a Larson Tri band NMO mount, on the right is one for Air band.
Both are mag mounts, the metal corner bead around the window provide the metal for it to stay there.
Attachments
20210731_192811.jpg
20210731_192811.jpg (684.48 KiB) Viewed 4253 times
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Chief, I don't think either of those are likely worth the time of day. Murph's Larson antenna is a renowned performer while mobile; if you could make that work you might see some improvement. If you have to stick to a "back of set" type of arrangement there are some good quality Diamond antennas that work very nicely but I don't believe you'll find one that is cut for both UHF and 800 MHz.

Also, Murph's antennas are upside down....which means they may pull in signals from Australia but they will not work at all locally... :rolleyes: :D
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"
Scanner Master Customer Service Rep
murphcc1

Post by murphcc1 »

Ive been trying to nail down the accent Scott......thanks for the heads up!!! :pint:
chiefj

Post by chiefj »

Thanks murph....I may try that one. I just need to mount it on something metal, correct?

And thanks for your input Scott.

I am now 200 feet above sea level on a ridge with a great view to the north, south and west. Can easily see the Providence TV towers about 10-13 direct miles away in Rehoboth. My flat Wineguard TV antenna mounted in a north facing window brings in about 80 channels. Boston has a SS of 85 and Providence 77.

Providence Fire comes in very clear with the antenna that came with the HomePatrol, but I haven't heard anything from the North or South RISCON Zones. Not even the RI SP. Coventry and Cranston Fire come in well too.

Thomas Jefferson
murphcc1

Post by murphcc1 »

Yea it's a mag mount but can just sit on the sill if needed, you dont HAVE to have it connected to metal......even use a baking pan or something like that to keep it from tipping over.
chiefj

Post by chiefj »

Thank you Murph.

Thomas Jefferson
Tim

Post by Tim »

Chief, not to go off the topic. Do you have the Riscon East zone loaded in the Home Patrol? You will receive the RISP South and North zones with the East zone.
SDS 200, BCD996P2, PSR-600, Pro-2006 and TRX-1. Home ant.- Par Mon-3. Handheld ant.- Gemtronics 800 mhz antenna,Gemtronics 830B Base Angle antenna, David Clark headset. :Bruins:
chiefj

Post by chiefj »

Hi Tim....I just went into RI SP and added their North and South zones. I dd not see anything regarding an East Zone.

I did the same for RI Fire. I selected several communities from Newport, Bristol and Providence Counties and I believe I added both their conventional and Statewide. Cranston and Providence come in well, but not so much for Warwick.

Now I have to spend some time listening.

I am at 200 ft and my HomePatrol is located near a north facing window. Attleboro comes in fine and I can get Brockton Fire. Boston's Fire Station Dispatch is received, but nothing else. I have everything programmed in for it.

Thomas Jefferson
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

chiefj wrote: 06 Aug 2021 15:17 Hi Tim....I just went into RI SP and added their North and South zones. I dd not see anything regarding an East Zone.

North, South and East refer to the trunking zones. IIRC, RISP are on all three zones.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Chief,
You will need to update the RISCON programming on the Home Patrol. The RISCON East zone is fairly new. You will receive Tiverton PD and all of Aquineck Island and the Water Rescue TG 5&6 and also all RISP zones. The control channel is 860.3125. :sox:
SDS 200, BCD996P2, PSR-600, Pro-2006 and TRX-1. Home ant.- Par Mon-3. Handheld ant.- Gemtronics 800 mhz antenna,Gemtronics 830B Base Angle antenna, David Clark headset. :Bruins:
chiefj

Post by chiefj »

Thanks for the info Tim. Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to program anything, as I own aMacBook and there are no programs I can use.

So I will probably get the services of Bearcat Warehouse for a new SD card or use their mail-in service to optimize my Home Patrol 1.

I like to listen to the FR area and Troop D MSP, Plymouth County Fire, Boston Fire, Providence Fire, RI SP as well as Newport and Bristol RI counties.

Thomas Jefferson
chiefj

Post by chiefj »

Murph...I am going to order that Larson, but can you please advise what I will need just to place it on a wide windowsill? Type of mount?

I do have a SMA to BNC female pigtail that will allow me to connect to the Home Patrol, but is it a male or female that connects to the antenna because I will need about 10 feet of coax?
Is RG58 correct?

Thanks for any advice. I started monitoring on tunable receivers before there were scanners and I am just not up on all the technology.

Thomas Jefferson
murphcc1

Post by murphcc1 »

This where I bought it, along with the NMO mag mount.

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/ ... ts_id=8932

In the picture above it's magnetically attached to the corner bead in the window frame, the only reason I have it up there is for added height and near a window. It can be put anywhere.
It has about10' of cable with a BNC connector.
chiefj

Post by chiefj »

Thank you murph. I am going to order it.

Thomas Jefferson
Tim

Post by Tim »

Chief,

I would just go with this model, you don't need the spring.

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/ ... ts_id=1050
pete
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Post by pete »

chiefj wrote: 08 Aug 2021 16:41 Thanks for the info Tim. Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to program anything, as I own aMacBook and there are no programs I can use.

So I will probably get the services of Bearcat Warehouse for a new SD card or use their mail-in service to optimize my Home Patrol 1.

I like to listen to the FR area and Troop D MSP, Plymouth County Fire, Boston Fire, Providence Fire, RI SP as well as Newport and Bristol RI counties.
Chief,
Check your PM's
Pete :Pats: :sox: :Bruins:
never forget W6 & 343 & C9