Digital scanner P25 and C4 Amateur radio's? are there any?

Scanners, antennas, coax, filters, amplifiers, demodulators...you get the idea. Scanning equipment questions, answers, and discussion belongs here!
brucefl56

Digital scanner P25 and C4 Amateur radio's? are there any?

Post by brucefl56 »

Hello,
Took me a few minutes to find the new page.
I am looking upgrading some or if not all my equipment. The HT and mobile I bought in 1994, but they still work good with the exception of the above mentioned digital.

I am wondering if there is any company that makes any that are capable of receiving both? I dislike the thought of going back to two radio's, but where I am in Maine
I am stuck between to general broadcast towers, one works well the other not so good. With so much on the P25 systems now it can be harder in fringe area's, but even so other
agencies would be left out without the P25.

I am not sure if there any Ham radio's that incorporate the P25 digital? (alone possibly)

Looking for answers? If there are, I am sure the answer is not an inexpensive one. One has to try.
Thanks and 73's
Bruce
Bruce
Millinocket, ME

schwab
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Re: Digital scanner P25 and C4 Amateur radio's? are there any?

Post by schwab »

The only option for a P25 transceiver is a commercial radio. For just receiving you have scanners, SDRs, commercial radios, etc.
Jacob
KB1VLA

brucefl56

Post by brucefl56 »

Are there ones that would do both p25 and C4? I am looking for a transceiver that would do p25.
I know I can get a HT with C4, more inclined for the p25?
I do not want to carry two radio's around. I will be looking around, just trying
to find if I have any choices open that others may have found.
Thanks Bruce
Bruce
Millinocket, ME

schwab

Post by schwab »

C4FM is a proprietary amateur format from Yaesu; the only radios that have C4FM are Yaesu ham radios. None of them support P25. As far as I know, the only multi-mode digital radios are Kenwood NX-52/57 series land mobile commercial radios.
Jacob
KB1VLA

JBP

Post by JBP »

What can be confusing is C4FM, Continuous 4-level Frequency Modulation, is a modulation, a format for sending information over a channel.

C4FM is used both by the APCO P25 standard and Yaesu's proprietary System Fusion digital format.

The 1s and 0s may be sent over the air the same way but the speech and control information is encoded differently and the radios are not compatible.
Jeremy
KB1REQ (DMR-MARC: 3125125)

garys

Post by garys »

I was wondering the same sort of thing, so this is good information. I used my analog Icom mobile to listen to a small list of VHF/UHF public safety agencies. One of them just moved to P25, so I can't do that any longer. Oh well, I still have the SDS200 in the truck so it's no big deal.

The Kenwood multi band, multi mode radios look nice, but it's a lot of money to spend for a narrow application.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.