SDS200

Scanners, antennas, coax, filters, amplifiers, demodulators...you get the idea. Scanning equipment questions, answers, and discussion belongs here!

deacon1

SDS200

#1 Post by deacon1 » 13 Mar 2019 12:40

This morning I was hearing the scanner scanning through my external speaker. The noise grew louder and louder. I opened Sentinal to see if an upgrade was available, it was. After several unsuccessful attempts at downloading the new version of Sentinal, I called Uniden. Customer support was very helpful, almost too helpful. Instead of trouble shooting my download issue, they offered to email the file to me. I opened the email and download the file easily, no issues. Uniden CS advised me to save the email and the link for future Sentinal updates. A strange experience!!! The scanning noise through my external speaker went away after the SDS200 was upgraded. Also, I find the quality of AM (Mil Air, JBCC) not as good as my dependable 996XT.

Chuck

kenny

Re: SDS200

#2 Post by kenny » 13 Mar 2019 15:16

In addition to the firmware update there is also another fix for the hum on the radio. Look for UPMAN's thread on Radio Reference. It involves logging on to uniden 's website and ordering a part that they'll send you free along with free shipping.
Upman has a video showing how to install it. It looks pretty simple, but I haven't done it yet.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#3 Post by garys » 13 Mar 2019 15:50

I moved this to the Scanning Equipment forum.

As I never had the hum issue, I didn't order the part. I did do the firmware upgraded and VHF/UHF analog audio is in fact more clear than it was. I was in Cambridge (near Alewife) this morning and got Georgetown PD with good readability and minimal noise.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

#4 Post by W1KNE » 04 Apr 2019 15:12

My new SDS-200 has the noise issue. It's not loud enough to be a pain but I ordered the free part anyways.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.