Analog on the SDS100

Scanners, antennas, coax, filters, amplifiers, demodulators...you get the idea. Scanning equipment questions, answers, and discussion belongs here!
Almar514

Analog on the SDS100

Post by Almar514 »

So anyone in the Easthampton Mass area using the SDS100 I really want to get one but I was wondering how the analog stuff works, I'm using a bc125 now but with Northampton going to p25 simulcast WRQW388 I'm gonna need to upgrade and was wondering If the SDS100 will work well in the area as most stuff is analog. Also anyone ever deal with Zip Scanners. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
jbella

Re: Analog on the SDS100

Post by jbella »

Analog trunking or conventional?

I would imagine it's at least as good as the BC125. The few times I've used it analog its been fine, but I tend to use Mother /\/\ products for conventional now. And the antenna matters also.
Scott
Site Administrator

Re: Analog on the SDS100

Post by Scott »

The key to good analog reception is understanding how to manipulate the filter settings, and in some cases the IFX setting. I usually recommend turning the filter OFF for any analog reception. The Global Auto Filter in the settings menu is a good place to start. It will be set to Normal if you haven't already made changes. Select Off and press the Enter (E) key to change the setting. Then press the Avoid key to resume normal scanning. More often than not this drastically improves analog reception.

The SDS models are unlike any scanner ever manufactured, but tweaks like the above can make large differences in quality of reception.
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"
Scanner Master Customer Service Rep