Incident Notification Forum

This forum is for discussion about the overall website and message board setup, comments, suggestions, and gripes.

Would You Like to see an incident notification forum return?

Poll ended at 13 Apr 2020 13:12

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 18

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Incident Notification Forum

Post by W1KNE »

Just gauging interest here.
Years back, we used to have an incident notification forum here, that was quite popular. Would you like to see one again?
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
garys
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Re: Incident Notification Forum

Post by garys »

Yes.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.
Citywide 173

Post by Citywide 173 »

With the current availability of other options, a forum is an archaic way to notify. A Google form tied to a mailing list would be much more efficient. It takes about the same amount of time to set up.
Ed Burke
Administrator-Firepics Online Groups
KD1EMS WQRD823 WRZG255
CG

Post by CG »

I already put into a notification system so I would rarely participate.

chris
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

The issue I always had with that over the years was how to make the notifications. It's great to post it here but the info quickly becomes dated. When we had people subscribe to it to receive notifications by email, the "mass email" being sent was perceived as an attempt to send spam and it was halted by the webhost; I believe that was a few incarnations prior to the current host.

So while I think there is a place for such things as many of the older ones have gone by the wayside, I'm not sure that this is the ideal platform for it. Something external as suggested above is probably a better solution.
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"
Scanner Master Customer Service Rep
N1FKO

Post by N1FKO »

I stay up-to-date via the RSS interface, so if you just add a forum I'm good to go.
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

This isn't intended to be a type of notification forum that does instant notifications on incidents. Rather just a place to discuss them, maybe even afterwards.
It's not meant as a media notification service, nor was that my intention. Just something that was pretty popular here in the past, and I was gauging interest.

If I do create it, no one has to participate in it either.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Mark SNE Moderator

Post by Mark SNE Moderator »

Should this come back in one form or another, would it be better to keep the information simple, to just include location, type of incident, and maybe updates as needed? Is it worthwhile to include multiple frequency/channel information? For instance, if I get a notification via Twitter or however it comes, if there's a 3rd alarm fire in Andover do I need the FD's frequency info? A simple notification and brief description would be fine by me.
Mark,

Scan New England Moderator
ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

I agree, a keep it simple format

ie:
Working Fire - Andover MA
and include info a known about the incident, we don't need to post the Freq info, but should indicate what channel got assigned as the Fireground
ie: Norfolk County 5, Metro Fire North , Quincy 2, Boston 3 etc

Some of us had been well involved in prior notification networks [Radio and Pager] and much has changed in platforms available now,.

Mark SNE Moderator wrote: 04 Apr 2020 20:00 Should this come back in one form or another, would it be better to keep the information simple, to just include location, type of incident, and maybe updates as needed? Is it worthwhile to include multiple frequency/channel information? For instance, if I get a notification via Twitter or however it comes, if there's a 3rd alarm fire in Andover do I need the FD's frequency info? A simple notification and brief description would be fine by me.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"