MSP ALL Known TalkGroups

This forum is for discussion about the overall website and message board setup, comments, suggestions, and gripes.
pete
SNE and Wiki Moderator

MSP ALL Known TalkGroups

Post by pete »

I know this topic has come up before, but why doesn't the MSP wiki page have an All Known Talkgroups page (listed in numerical order) like we have for RISCON ? (in the past a link was provided to another site ((Scott Johnsons ??)) that had an up to date list, but that site has been gone for years) Does anyone else think this would be beneficial ? How hard would it be to construct ?
Pete :Pats: :sox: :Bruins:
never forget W6 & 343 & C9

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Re: MSP ALL Known TalkGroups

Post by ScanBoston »

If we decide to do this (and I understand the pros and cons) we should put the analog and the digital ones side by side in the same list. The whole state will be slowly transitioning that way eventually anyways.

sawyer100

Post by sawyer100 »

from Pete's initial post:

unfortunately, that's actually what I stated few weeks ago now when I submitted my huge talkgroup list (cross referenced P25 & analog ID's) to be data entered as new & re-confirmations into the analog & P25 CoMIRS P25 wiki pages. So what I was suggesting was to simply create a "master talkgroup page" that has the P25 ID & next column over is the analog ID, as the talkgroup alpha tag/name is the same. The discussion of my suggestion was that it drives me nuts because there is no "master listing". There are talkgroups here in this wiki, and there are talkgroups on the RadioReference wiki and 2 website don't share the same data. Personally, when I monitor the State 800 system, I'm always in "ID search" mode, so I'm always finding new talkgroups in my zone. So when I see a new talkgroup, example 12345 and I don't know the agency. I have to search the MSP analog page, the MSP P25 page, the MEMA page, the DFS page, the DCR page, City of Worcester page, etc, etc. If you know the agency then you know what page to see if it's listed.

Second issue: someone in MetroBoston hears a P25 CoMIRS talkgroup, and it could be new. Then I hear a new item in the Zone 8 analog. I personally take every new talkgroup posted and add it to my scanner (P25) and then I add the (analog) one. So my scanner talkgroup listings are identical from P25 to analog, just the ID # is different. Exact example is Worc EMS Wide (P25 ID 631) and then someone heard (analog ID 10096) and it was reported twice here. I immediately knew when I saw the 10096 post that it was the same item as the 631 post days prior.

What it all boils down to is, when someone finds a new talkgroup, there is a lack of a "master listing" and yes, the one master listing should be one list, having the P25 ID & the analog ID in the same row, keeping the website data plain & simple. Now the "master list" page can either be a) numerical number order (low to high), or b) be broken down by category (i.e. DCR, MSP, mutual aid, corrections/prisons, etc). Either way, you can go control + F (find) and key in a talkgroup and see if it's on the page or not. If it's not, then someone submits a submission to add it. This would reduce future postings of "hey I found a new talkgroup, 12345". and someone's reply to that thread is " you are hearing 12345 PRISON TRNASPORT, it's on the MA Corrections wiki page.... "

hope this helps with ideas to make the data here on this website, much easier to find, locate & funnel inquiries to 1 spot/page versus many multiple pages.

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by ScanBoston »

The thing is some of us hate the Radio Reference site as it is riddled with errors or things posted from lists that don't exist. The folks on this site try to have everything be confirmed from listening. So the two lists are different, to begin with. Also, All talkgroups aren't on every site so how do you handle that? Some are on some sites all the time and some come and go as they affiliate with a specific site. So that's why there are a few different schools of thought on how to list them and no one specific correct way. We are just discussing options and different points of view.

sawyer100

Post by sawyer100 »

to echo 1 item what scanboston just mentioned. I'm also a member of RR, but I don't post many freq updates there, as it's too much work to post here 1st, and then there as well. So yep, I agree RR is so far behind on data, so I've been using this as 98% accurate.