Radioreference database GPS info

For any scanning or radio topic that does not fit into the other forums. Anything that simply doesn't fit anywhere else!

MrSvenSven
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Radioreference database GPS info

Post by MrSvenSven »

I know that there is at least one radioreference DB admin here and I considered asking this privately, but I figured others might be interested. I just obtained my first BCD536HP scanner which uses the radioreference database. I've found that the database has a lot of inaccuracies, specifically incorrect coordinates and ranges that are set too high. I'd like to submit some new data to have the database corrected. What is the preferred format for such a submission? Are there any suggested mapping tools to find the correct coordinates and range? Can I submit any range, or does it have to be an even number of miles? For example, I'd like to change the radius around Clark University to 0.7 miles. Is that OK, or does it have to be an even 1 mile? (I think 1 miles is too big because it includes the highway through the city)

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

I know what you're talking about and can tell you, this has been a long on going issue. Many (and I mean MANY) cities , towns, groups have these GPS inaccuracies. I have been slowly trying to get to them, but just in New England alone there over 1000 that can be handled. Coverages can be done to the 0.x miles, but understand, to fix it all is, all hand-entered. There is no auto import like we can do with frequencies. I have gone through some of them, and made sure that the radius of the preferred sub category completely covers the town/city, but not try to extend further beyond that. There are some states (New Hampshire, New York) that the radius's way too large. Again, the radius should not extend far beyond the boundaries of the town, but should be enough to encompass the entire town. It's a big flaw in the Radio Reference coordinate system, in fact. We've discussed using polygrams versus circles to better boundary the town. The bigger issue comes with the statewide entries. In order to have the statewide entries bind the whole state, they "circle" ends up crossing Long Island.
I am not sure what the policy is regarding range corrections. I know we've had some complaints from other users and some admins felt they were asking us to change on personal preference. I disagree, I think the ranges should be set to a standard. Let me get back to you on how to submit the ranges, and I'll start looking at some of them.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

MrSvenSven
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by MrSvenSven »

W1KNE wrote:I know what you're talking about and can tell you, this has been a long on going issue. Many (and I mean MANY) cities , towns, groups have these GPS inaccuracies. I have been slowly trying to get to them, but just in New England alone there over 1000 that can be handled. Coverages can be done to the 0.x miles, but understand, to fix it all is, all hand-entered. There is no auto import like we can do with frequencies. I have gone through some of them, and made sure that the radius of the preferred sub category completely covers the town/city, but not try to extend further beyond that. There are some states (New Hampshire, New York) that the radius's way too large. Again, the radius should not extend far beyond the boundaries of the town, but should be enough to encompass the entire town. It's a big flaw in the Radio Reference coordinate system, in fact. We've discussed using polygrams versus circles to better boundary the town. The bigger issue comes with the statewide entries. In order to have the statewide entries bind the whole state, they "circle" ends up crossing Long Island.
I am not sure what the policy is regarding range corrections. I know we've had some complaints from other users and some admins felt they were asking us to change on personal preference. I disagree, I think the ranges should be set to a standard. Let me get back to you on how to submit the ranges, and I'll start looking at some of them.
Thanks. I'm willing to do some work to figure out what they should be, I'm just wondering if there is a good tool for figuring the info out. Freescan used to have one built in, but I stopped using it a while back and I seem to recall it had issues with rounding off numbers but maybe it works now. I figured this would be a tool that radioreference would have on their site but I don't see one.

I went through the entire Worcester county database yesterday and identified about 20 that need to be corrected. I'll start with those when I have time. I didn't see anything too large, rather many of the ranges were set to only 1 or 2 miles, or had the center of the circle set to downtown rather than the geographic center of the town.

I also looked at the 800MHz trunk system and most of the circles are way too big. When I first turned the scanner on it was scanning many MA sites and also CT SP troop D even though I'm not near the border.

Once I get through the small towns there probably needs to be a discussion of how statewide stuff should be listed in the DB. In NH, all the regional dispatch centers are in the DB in multiple places, including in the statewide section, so as soon as I hit Sterling on 190 I start picking up Lakes Region dispatch over 100 miles away. I drove to Gardner yesterday which caused me to start scanning the statewide VT stuff and noticed that one repeater currently scanning was on Mt Mansfield about 150 miles away.

MrSvenSven
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by MrSvenSven »

I just made two submissions, one with new coordinates for the entire MSP analog trunk and one for Brimfield, Holland, and Wales in Hampden county. If the info gets into the DB properly, I'll keep working on the areas that I am familiar with.

I've been using this tool to determine proper coordinates and ranges, but it is still a pain because that map doesn't show town boundaries. If there is a better way to do it I'd love to know about it. I'm just surprised that with how long the homepatrol scanners have been around that there is not a better tool in existence for this.

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

I'll work on it when I get the chance in the next couple of days. I've been going through a number of these to correct them. The problem is, the DB/Scanner software still relies soley on a circular distance, rather than a polygon type distance.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

As an update to this thread. MrSvenSven and I have been working together to clean up a lot of the RR DB coordinates and ranges. It makes sense to have the end user determine "how far" out they want to listen to, which is backed by the administration team. We have worked on Worcester, Middlesex, Suffolk and Essex counties so far. If you use the RR Database via the GPS function, it should work better, once Uniden pulls their next update from the RadioReference servers.
Mike Fitzpatrick

Mark SNE Moderator
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by Mark SNE Moderator »

Great work, Gents. Thanks.
Mark,

Scan New England Moderator