What are these things?

For any scanning or radio topic that does not fit into the other forums. Anything that simply doesn't fit anywhere else!

bfrederi

What are these things?

#1 Post by bfrederi » 22 Mar 2020 10:01

I had never noticed these sensors until about three weeks ago, and now I have seen three of them:

1. In Arlington, attached to an outdoor bulletin board in Menotomy Rocks Park.
2. In Burlington, attached to a utility pole in a semi-industrial zone. (See photo.)
3. In Billerica, again attached to an outdoor bulletin board in the park across from the Middlesex Jail and House of Correction. (See photo.)
dingus_burlington.jpg
dingus_burlington.jpg (30.61 KiB) Viewed 209 times
dingfus_billerica.jpg
dingfus_billerica.jpg (35.81 KiB) Viewed 209 times
I'm not particularly interested in theories or guesses; I have plenty of those on mine own. Just wondering if anybody here recognizes them and can categorically identify them. I've spent quite a bit of time Googling possible topics and doing image searches with no results.

Here are some additional details:

1. They look like they've been there a long time, based both on the design and the condition of the enclosures. 1990s-2000s?
2. Totally standalone; no external wiring.
3. The are mounted no more than 6 - 8 feet off the ground, implying that they were installed by non-professionals. The one in Arlington is actually within reach of passers-by and has been trashed.
4. My personal theories and guesses: the two smaller sections are sensors (humidty? temperature? air quality?) and the large outside section houses batteries and transmitter. It looks to me like they were single use: mount them; take measurements while the batteries last; forget them. School or government air quality measurement program from years ago?

But does anybody know for sure what they are and who put them there?
Bruce
Burlington, MA

wscranston

Re: What are these things?

#2 Post by wscranston » 23 Mar 2020 07:25

bfrederi

Re: What are these things?

#3 Post by bfrederi » 23 Mar 2020 12:28

Thank you very much!
Bruce
Burlington, MA