Television Repack Thread

Discuss any non-radio topic. Just about anything goes. Be civil, and NO FLAME WARS are allowed! Kick back...relax...have a virtual beer...it's on the house! Welcome to the Bar & Grille!
W1KNE

Television Repack Thread

#1 Post by W1KNE » 25 Apr 2019 08:42

So for those of you who are unfamiliar, or vaguely familiar, we are about to enter a second time where a lot of changes are going to happen to the broadcast television landscape.
As the results of a congressional order, a reverse (or "incentive") auction was performed a few years ago, and 94 MHz of RF spectrum was sold off from UHF broadcasting to be used for wireless communications.
The FCC allowed stations to elect a few choices as to what they wanted to do with their channel. UHF TV stations were allowed to.
1) No changes, stay UHF.
2) Surrender their channel, and enter into a "channel sharing" agreement where the license mirrors the facility of another station, and their signal is merged onto the primary transport of the main station
3) Go to VHF Band 3 (Channels 7-13).
4) Go to VHF Band 1 (Channels 2-6).
Stations that elected to use option 2 were paid the most amount of money for the surrender of their UHF spectrum. 4 next, followed by 3 and then 1.
After the election process was complete, the FCC then decided to go through the channel spectrum in the country and using an algorithm, they shifted channels around. Any channel above 36, the cut-off, is required to go into an open slot below 36. Because the channel shifting involved "pairs", triples, and in some cases even more, channels were swapped out with other channels. The timing to shift channels was also done in such a way so that groups would be switching with coordination. Here in the Boston area, you may have noticed a very big tower project at the American Owned former Candelabra tower, where a new set of antennas were installed. The new antennas will serve as primaries for 2 stations, and backups for 4 more. You will notice over the summer, a bunch of more work being done on the American Tower in Needham, that is just west of 128, known to some old timers as "The WBZ tower".

In Boston, of the 14 stations, 11 were affected by the repack. Three (WYDN 48, WLVI 56, WMFP 62) entered into channel sharing agreements with other stations. One went to VHF Band 1 (WGBH 2), and the rest remained.
WUNI 66.1 (RF Ch 27) was the only UHF not affected, and WWDP 46.1 (RF Ch 10) was the only VHF not affected.

Everyone else is moving.
A full list of who is moving where is located here.
http://www.necrat.us/biz/wiki/index.php/Repack

In Boston, everyone minus two stations, are moving on the Phase 4 deadline of August 2, 2019. Two stations (WHDH 7, WSBK 38) both will transiiton on January 17, 2020.

Because we have a lot of TV DXers and RF guys here, I decided to start this thread. Any discussions or questions about the upcoming changes can be asked here.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

W1MTW

Re: Television Repack Thread

#2 Post by W1MTW » 25 Apr 2019 09:07

Interesting up here, is that WPXT will be moving to the WMTW tower in Baldwin (not surprising, since Hearst now owns WPXT, even moving the WMTW studios from in town Portland to the WPXT facility in Westbrook). But, what I see is more surprising is WIPL (the ION station), also has applied to move it's transmitter and antenna to the WMTW tower. Could be since they are still in the same building, saving on a seperate STL to the old site in Gray? Or, maybe better coverage into Portland?
Mark, W1MTW
Windham, ME
PRO-106

ScanBoston

#3 Post by ScanBoston » 25 Apr 2019 13:36

W40BO-D moves to ch26 after Repack not Ch28. As far as I know Ch28 remains empty at least in Boston.

W1KNE

#4 Post by W1KNE » 25 Apr 2019 14:07

ScanBoston wrote:
25 Apr 2019 13:36
W40BO-D moves to ch26 after Repack not Ch28. As far as I know Ch28 remains empty at least in Boston.
Geez! Who did that??

Sorry John, it was a typo. I fixed it.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

ScanBoston

#5 Post by ScanBoston » 25 Apr 2019 14:21

I only care cause that is where my new IFB transmitters sit.

Kaimbridge

#6 Post by Kaimbridge » 27 Apr 2019 02:05

Whoops! It looks like the ones that have already gone to their shared Ch. (“prepack”? P=) are still listed with their vacated Ch. as “Current”—at least with the Boston area Ch.s:

CALLs:VirCh “Current”Actual (Host Station)

Code: Select all

WYCN-CD:15     36         43 (WGBX)
      WFXZ:24     24         19 (WGBH)
   WWJE-DT:50     35         27 (WUNI)
      WLVI:56     41         42 (WHDH)
      WDPX:58     40         32 (WBPX)
      WMFP:62     18         10 (WWDP)
    ~𝓚𝓪𝓲𝓶𝓫𝓻𝓲𝓭𝓰𝓮~ KMA1DGT
**** Void Where Permitted; Limit 0 Per Customer. ****