Power outages

Discuss any non-radio topic. Just about anything goes. Be civil, no personal vendettas and NO FLAME WARS are allowed! Kick back...relax...have a virtual beer...it's on Scott! Welcome to the Bar & Grille!
garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Power outages

#1 Post by garys » 07 Feb 2020 17:17

There are a lot of power outages in the Stoughton/Canton/Brockton/Sharon area. Police and fire running all over the place.

Of course the National Grid website keeps crashing.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Re: Power outages

#2 Post by W1KNE » 08 Feb 2020 14:28

Was a good night to monitor utility frequencies around.

National Grid, on the "south shore net" , listen to the lone channel on the LTR, (472.7500), heard a ton of traffic, lights out calls in Douglas, Quincy, etc.
If you can put up with the LTR nonsense. (The LTR is a Passport system, so most scanners won't trunk track it.)
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#3 Post by garys » 08 Feb 2020 14:54

Stoughton PWD was very busy. At one point, two workers were discussing the outage on the radio. One said that National Grid had estimated that they'd have power back by midnight. I laughed. The other guy replied that meant that it would be 5:00AM. As it happened, i received an email from National Grid at 4:30AM saying that power was back up.

When I woke up at 7 this morning, power was on, generator was off, and Comcast was back on line. Seems that they don't have back up generators for their network, so they must have been running on batteries. Those ran out about 7:00 PM and we lost cable TV, Internet, and phone. I switched over to OTA TV and got enough channels. I did a rescan on the TV in the living room because my wife couldn't get Channel 10. The rescan fixed that. For a small flat panel indoor antenna, the upstairs TV gets good reception. Down in the family room, it's not as good.

I'll have to keep the 472.7500 frequency in mind. In the old days, when they were just LTR, it was easy to listen to them.

Stoughton PD reported about 150 9-1-1 calls in five minutes after the power went out. They used the reverse 9-1-1 system to call everyone and ask them not to call the police for status reports.

W1KNE wrote:
08 Feb 2020 14:28
Was a good night to monitor utility frequencies around.

National Grid, on the "south shore net" , listen to the lone channel on the LTR, (472.7500), heard a ton of traffic, lights out calls in Douglas, Quincy, etc.
If you can put up with the LTR nonsense. (The LTR is a Passport system, so most scanners won't trunk track it.)
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

MaineRadioMan

#4 Post by MaineRadioMan » 08 Feb 2020 16:24

I haul alot of Demo out of Stoughton Mass from there to Canada to make particle board and kitchen cupboards! Stoughton Recycling near the DD and Deangelo's

Sorry to get off topic
Up on a huge hill with a tower 100ft in the air!

2- BCD996P2
2- BCT15XT

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#5 Post by garys » 08 Feb 2020 16:32

I know where that is. I just never knew exactly what they did there.
MaineRadioMan wrote:
08 Feb 2020 16:24
I haul alot of Demo out of Stoughton Mass from there to Canada to make particle board and kitchen cupboards! Stoughton Recycling near the DD and Deangelo's

Sorry to get off topic

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#6 Post by ecps92 » 09 Feb 2020 09:13

For those who might want to use "SEARCH" our friends from
Hydro Quebec have arrived in the area, as well as many other Utilities from south of New England
and the tree services.

For those who find the french speaking frequencies, keep in mind, Canada does not use
the US Channel plans and many frequencies will be 5 khz off the US Channels.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

#7 Post by W1KNE » 09 Feb 2020 11:01

ecps92 wrote:
09 Feb 2020 09:13
For those who might want to use "SEARCH" our friends from
Hydro Quebec have arrived in the area, as well as many other Utilities from south of New England
and the tree services.
I concur. I believe during storms, searching should always be in the forefront of thought with scanners. With Utilities seemingly moving around quite a bit, and contractors abound, there are definitely radio frequencies/PLs not in the wiki, even in the Boston area, for utility work.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

MaineRadioMan

#8 Post by MaineRadioMan » 09 Feb 2020 13:26

garys wrote:
08 Feb 2020 16:32
I know where that is. I just never knew exactly what they did there.
We haul alot of it from there, Taunton, Roxbury, Devens New Bedford Ct and it all goes to Canada!
Up on a huge hill with a tower 100ft in the air!

2- BCD996P2
2- BCT15XT

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#9 Post by garys » 09 Feb 2020 15:18

Canada deserves it! ;)

I know where the Roxbury facility is too.
MaineRadioMan wrote:
09 Feb 2020 13:26
We haul alot of it from there, Taunton, Roxbury, Devens New Bedford Ct and it all goes to Canada!

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

#10 Post by W1KNE » 09 Feb 2020 21:12

Getting back to the subject at hand here...

I am amazed at how much traffic is on the 472.7500 National Grid frequency.

I've heard calls from Westerly to Holbrook to Douglas.
I assume all operations are out of Westborough for them.

Gary, the repeater for this is in Fall River on that tall tower near I95 and 24. I wonder if you'd even receive it there.
Mike Fitzpatrick

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#11 Post by garys » 10 Feb 2020 10:26

I'll plug it in and take a listen. I'm surprised at what I hear out of FR. I get the fire and police, and even the Commtronics 900 trunk once in a while.

Westborough is the operations center. A friend of mine has a son who works there.
W1KNE wrote:
09 Feb 2020 21:12
Getting back to the subject at hand here...

I am amazed at how much traffic is on the 472.7500 National Grid frequency.

I've heard calls from Westerly to Holbrook to Douglas.
I assume all operations are out of Westborough for them.

Gary, the repeater for this is in Fall River on that tall tower near I95 and 24. I wonder if you'd even receive it there.

pete
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#12 Post by pete » 10 Feb 2020 11:14

Yes, the National Grid channel 472.750 carries traffic for the entire system in MA and RI. This is the main (Home) channel and when its busy you will also hear one of the other channels. (471.1125, 472.175, 472.8375) Like Mike said, this is a Passport LTR system and cannot be trunk-tracked by the currently available scanners. You can hear them all conventionally, as long as you don't mind the annoying LTR data stream. The antenna's for this system are on the top of the 400' ICE Fall River tower. I'm sure they cover quite a distance.
Pete :Pats: :sox: :Bruins:
never forget W6 & 343 & C9

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#13 Post by ecps92 » 10 Feb 2020 11:37

The Substation-Subtransmission control center is in in Westboro Massachusetts.
The Distribution Dispatch Control center is in Lincoln Rhode Island and is also the Distribution trouble center.

Most of my 451/454 monitoring has been hearing Lincoln RI
garys wrote:
10 Feb 2020 10:26
I'll plug it in and take a listen. I'm surprised at what I hear out of FR. I get the fire and police, and even the Commtronics 900 trunk once in a while.

Westborough is the operations center. A friend of mine has a son who works there.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"