The Unofficial Official COVID-19 Thread

Discuss any non-radio topic. Just about anything goes. Be civil, no personal vendettas and NO FLAME WARS are allowed! Kick back...relax...have a virtual beer...it's on Scott! Welcome to the Bar & Grille!
Scott
Site Administrator

The Unofficial Official COVID-19 Thread

Post by Scott »

Discuss it here, debate it here, but play nice. What's going on in your neck of the woods? Etc. Have fun. Be safe. Stay healthy. And to those on the front lines, thank you for what you do.
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Re: The Unofficial Official COVID-19 Thread

Post by ecps92 »

And no one took up your offer Hmmm :t
Scott wrote:
16 Apr 2020 15:25
Discuss it here, debate it here, but play nice. What's going on in your neck of the woods? Etc. Have fun. Be safe. Stay healthy. And to those on the front lines, thank you for what you do.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Seems like I made that post a year ago. I don't blame people for not wanting to talk about it. I'm one of them. It's all we hear all day. Enough already.
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

That's because the thread is unofficial. Who wants to be unofficial.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by ScanBoston »

I guess I missed this thing. What is this Covid-19 you speak of? New sports team??

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

Am I discussing it by saying I have no interest in discussing it?
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

ScanBoston wrote:
09 May 2020 09:02
I guess I missed this thing. What is this Covid-19 you speak of? New sports team??
No, that's the Masphee Murder Hornets.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

cdgordon
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by cdgordon »

I am still trying to figure out...
- the people driving around alone in their cars with masks and gloves.
- the ones with rubber gloves on using their cellphones in the grocery store "contaminating" this thing they will all but sleep with at home
- my dad spraying Lysol on the gas pump (okay there) but then on his hands. Before and after using the pump. Then using hand sanitizer in the car.
- the checkout person at the grocery store cleaning the belt with so much disinfectant that there was puddles... and not wiping it off. She wondered why I didn't set my stuff on it.
At least they can't see me laughing with my mask on.

chris

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

People riding bikes, motorcycles, or running while wearing masks.
People in general walking on sidewalks wearing masks on residential streets.
The people with masks on yelling into their cell phones while having the external speaker selected. As if we care how many packages of toilet paper they should buy.

cdgordon wrote:
09 May 2020 11:16
- the ones with rubber gloves on using their cellphones in the grocery store "contaminating" this thing they will all but sleep with at home
- my dad spraying Lysol on the gas pump (okay there) but then on his hands. Before and after using the pump. Then using hand sanitizer in the car.
- the checkout person at the grocery store cleaning the belt with so much disinfectant that there was puddles... and not wiping it off. She wondered why I didn't set my stuff on it.

chris
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

I do
I want to be Officially UnOfficial
W1KNE wrote:
09 May 2020 07:49
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

the masks in cars, is so they can't be identified by those Red Light Camera on CSI, NCIS, JAG, FBI, Swat etc

The gloves are so than can adjust their masks 75 times an hour

Another round here, Please Barkeep :beer:
cdgordon wrote:

chris
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

jrm3607

Post by jrm3607 »

W1KNE wrote:
09 May 2020 07:49
Real question here is this thread essential? If not it should be closed and everyone should get a $600 check :t

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

jrm3607 wrote:
09 May 2020 12:25
Real question here is this thread essential? If not it should be closed and everyone should get a $600 check :t
All threads are essential. Except for this one.
It's only officially unofficial.

Or something.
Mike Fitzpatrick

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

cdgordon wrote:
*We've done a couple of stories of people wearing their masks in their cars and passing out, causing accidents.
*I've stopped wearing gloves. I have soap at home and know how to wash my hands. I do wipe down my phone with a Lysol wipe when I get home from work, however, precautionary
*I wear gloves at the gas pump and have for years, because I hate the smell of gas, and having it on my hands. (And yes, I am of the generation that used to actually wash my hands with gas after changing the oil in the car. But it smells different now and not in a good way).
Mike Fitzpatrick

wb1hbu

Post by wb1hbu »

Hello,

Very likely to be anecdotal, but I noticed more ordinary crime and emergencies on the scanner over about the past week. Several weeks ago it seemed like almost every call was "difficulty breathing" and other possible Covid-19 calls.

Unfortunately my mom died Thursday after testing positive the week before. She was 91 and frail. Unfortunately nursing homes are hot spots with very vulnerable populations.

73 Eric

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Our condolences Eric from your SNE and Scan-Mass-East families.
wb1hbu wrote:
10 May 2020 10:27
Hello,

Very likely to be anecdotal, but I noticed more ordinary crime and emergencies on the scanner over about the past week. Several weeks ago it seemed like almost every call was "difficulty breathing" and other possible Covid-19 calls.

Unfortunately my mom died Thursday after testing positive the week before. She was 91 and frail. Unfortunately nursing homes are hot spots with very vulnerable populations.

73 Eric
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

I'm sorry for your loss, Eric. You're absolutely right about nursing homes. Assisted living facilities are not too far behind.

Yes, crime is picking up again now that people are our and about. The fact that everyone is wearing masks in public doesn't help.
wb1hbu wrote:
Hello,

73 Eric

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

wb1hbu wrote:
Eric,

My deepest condolences to you and your family. Very sorry to hear about your loss.

-- Mike
Mike Fitzpatrick