The Who At Halftime

Discuss any non-radio topic. Just about anything goes. Be civil, no personal vendettas and NO FLAME WARS are allowed! Kick back...relax...have a virtual beer...it's on Scott! Welcome to the Bar & Grille!
Mark SNE Moderator
SNE and Wiki Moderator

The Who At Halftime

#1 Post by Mark SNE Moderator » 07 Feb 2010 20:18

Decent performance from The Who at halftime. Daltrey has definitely lost his range but accepts it and finds ways to get thru. Must have been quite the light show in person!
Mark,

Scan New England Moderator

On Twitter @marksheehan17

Scott
Site Administrator

#2 Post by Scott » 07 Feb 2010 20:21

Avid Who fan here, completely unimpressed.
Scott

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

#3 Post by W1KNE » 07 Feb 2010 20:36

I will take the WHO, even how they performed tonight, ANY day of the week over the Jonas Brother's or Justin Timberlake.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

jwb8734

#4 Post by jwb8734 » 07 Feb 2010 21:20

NECRAT wrote:I will take the WHO, even how they performed tonight, ANY day of the week over the Jonas Brother's or Justin Timberlake.
I am a bit young but to know about the background of "The Who" but I agree.

rry4488

#5 Post by rry4488 » 07 Feb 2010 21:31

They sounded pretty good, much better than I expected.

macphersonj

#6 Post by macphersonj » 07 Feb 2010 21:40

I like the Who, I've even seen them live at the Garden. But their performance tonight resembled one similar to the four old men who play cover songs at my local legion.

Ever since the "Wardrobe Malfunction" a few years back, the NFL has gone the "safe" route with bands like the Who, and even Bruce last year. It's funny how the once revolutionary and rebellious rock of the who is now viewed by network executive a safe and family-friendly.

I used to get excited about who was performing for half time at the Superbowl, but as the years have gone by I have started to assume a crappy and boring performance by who ever gets picked. I am starting think that someone like Justin Timberlake could end up being more exciting, at lease my girlfriend would be happy.

But hey, at least the Saints have really picked it up since the first quarter.

Mark SNE Moderator
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#7 Post by Mark SNE Moderator » 07 Feb 2010 21:59

The problem with today's "music", if you can even call it that, is it's not real. Most of it is done via machines simulating instruments, heavy vocal overdubs, engineering know-how, etc.... They all sound cool on a CD, but put them LIVE, in front of a mic? They are ****ed! That's why they revert to the Classic Rock Genre, they can perform LIVE. Maybe some have lost it, but they still deliver a much better LIVE performance than the so-called "Artists" of today.
Mark,

Scan New England Moderator

On Twitter @marksheehan17

Joe SNE Moderator

#8 Post by Joe SNE Moderator » 07 Feb 2010 22:04

Much of the tonight's performance had background tracks. Don't be fooled. Particularly, Teenage Wasteland and Who Are You.

I'm aware that they're one of the true performers from back in the day, but CBS lost A LOT of viewers 15 seconds into the performance. It was horrendous. At least they made up for it with special effects and lighting.

kenny

#9 Post by kenny » 07 Feb 2010 22:14

Overall I was not impressed, it was OK that's it. I did think that Pete Townsend rocked out pretty good though, Roger Daltrey has lost quite a bit over the years.

PeterGV

#10 Post by PeterGV » 07 Feb 2010 22:33

Whoever did the staging and light design should definitely get some sort of prize.

In terms of the music, well, better than the wardrobe malfunction but not as good as U2.

Peter
K1PGV

N1BHH (Silent Key)

#11 Post by N1BHH (Silent Key) » 07 Feb 2010 22:39

All bands today playing live do have a back track they rely upon in cases where an amplifier goes down or a keyboard catches fire. The only exception I can say is Emerson Lake and Palmer. Yes, Keith Emerson's L-100 organ caught fire at the Garden in '73 but luckily he had 3 more under the stage after the fire died down. It also became the inspiration for his latest album art.That particular incident was amazing to watch.
CLYDE - N1BHH - A KNOW-CODE AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR / WQWJ272 - GMRS
Pro94 Pro106 Pro164 Pro197 Pro2006 Pro2015 Pro2021 Pro2055
Yaesu's FT60R, FT2900R & FT8800R, Icom IC735, Motorola MTX9250 (900 MHz.)

Smerri

#12 Post by Smerri » 08 Feb 2010 00:15

I wish Pete smashed the guitar.

KDWMAEMT

#13 Post by KDWMAEMT » 08 Feb 2010 02:12

One word....TERRIBLE. I couldnt believe how bad it was. Then again, there hasnt been a really good performance since U2 in 2002 when the Pats won. But there was A TON of emotion in that performance because of 9-11, and rightfully so. With that being the case, would they have been AS GOOD. I t couldnt believe how bad The Who were tonight. Very disappointing.

Scott
Site Administrator

#14 Post by Scott » 08 Feb 2010 04:03

Teenage Wasteland...that's funny. The name of the song is Baba O'Reilly.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Who. My only regret is that I didn't see them when Keith Moon was their drummer. I saw them in DC in 1982, and they were fantastic. This to me is not The Who. It's half of them, and really not what they had in mind during their heyday. They have become the opposite of what they believed, and I guess that's the difference between angry youth and middle age.

I expect they determined it would be "politically incorrect" and "excessively violent" for Townshend to smash his guitar. 'Tis a pity.
Scott

Joe SNE Moderator

#15 Post by Joe SNE Moderator » 08 Feb 2010 10:57

Scott/SNE Webmaster wrote:Teenage Wasteland...that's funny. The name of the song is Baba O'Reilly.
I never said I was a Who connoisseur. :t I actually have a Who album that I ripped into my library that has it titled as Teenage Wasteland, which is what I tend to go on. Thanks for the info though!
"Baba O'Riley" is often called "Teenage Wasteland" after the phrase repeated throughout the song, of which there is no chorus. "Teenage Wasteland" was in fact a working title for the song in its early incarnations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_O%27R ... steland.22

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#16 Post by garys » 08 Feb 2010 12:06

You guys actually watched that crap? I put on Silverado for the length of the half time. I'd rather watch Kevin Costner shoot Brian Dennehy than listen to a bunch of over the hill 20 years ago musicians rasp their way through their 40 year old hits. Actually, I'd rather be shot BY Kevin Costner than listen to a bunch of over the hill 20 years ago musicians rasp their way through their 40 year old hits.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#17 Post by ScanBoston » 08 Feb 2010 12:40

I have been involved in hundreds of live broadcasts of major recording acts over the years even working at two woodstocks. In these situations we get our own split of every single channel used on the stage and a separate mix is made (usually in a truck) just as it is done at the Superbowl. Some bands use tracks and many don't. They are used for a variety of reasons when they are. These blanket responses that all acts use them are completely incorrect. The Who's tracks are usually just for the synthesizer tracks for Baba O'Riely, Won't Get Fooled Again etc and that's all I heard. The Mix sounded very live and was actually a very good mix. More vocals than you'd probably have at a Who show today because they tend to purposely loose them in the mix a little more so you don't notice the mistakes due to age. You can't really do this on TV and that is why it was mixed the way it was. Some of the very flaws you have been commenting on is because it was such a good mix and you really heard the mistakes. I have been a Who fan from the beginning and seen them through the good and the bad with and without Keith and John. Folks also expect all concerts and concert mix'es to sound much better these days than was expected in the 60's and 70's. I saw the Who in 76 at the peak of them trying to be the loudest bands in the world phase and I can tell you there were times that didn't sound very pretty. They have been through a lot and I'd still say I thought they did a lot better than I expected last night. The Super Bowl is no easy gig. It could have gone far worse and it really wasn't really the right booking. The fact of the matter is that though people complain more today about Super Bowl acts more folks actually stay watching them that did in the old MTV act days. Your never going to please an audience that wide with everyone. I actually thought Prince did the best job of them all more recently. Even in the pouring rain he had more stage presence than many of the ageing acts chosen recently. The time they have is so short that you really just need folks that can shine doing three or 4 short songs.

Scott
Site Administrator

#18 Post by Scott » 08 Feb 2010 13:07

It's just another by-product of over-commercialization anyway. The Super Bowl has obviously grown FAR beyond just the game. Sad in some aspects. They must be "scared" to hire modern acts after the wardrobe malfunction a few years back.

Interesting look at things from your angle, John. My issue is that Townshend and Daltrey continue to tour as "The Who". I'm not one that thinks The Who ended when Keith Moon died; after a disastrous "Face Dances" album they came out with "It's Hard" which was in my opinion extremely well done and spoke volumes about the aging of rock stars in general, also spun a few commercial gems and one of the 80's anthems in "Eminence Front". But they're now doing the very thing they were so strongly against at the height of their careers, going commercial. They have at times turned into the very "cabaret act" that Townshend lamented during his tirade from the "Who's Next" era as seen during "The Kids Are Alright". And with literally half a band left they continue to tour in the name of one of the three best rock bands in history (or so I see them in that category anyway).

Imagine the kids listening/watching and asking their parents why these old geysers are playing the music from the CSI shows? Anyone notice how all of the CSI themes were included? I'm sure CBS had NOTHING to do with that, right? :)

I love The Who for what they were. They are not The Who to me anymore.
Scott

Scott
Site Administrator

#19 Post by Scott » 08 Feb 2010 13:11

I forgot to add in the previous message that even into the early 21st century they still provided some inspiring performances. If you have not seen the version of Won't Get Fooled Again from the Concert for New York that took place just after 9/11, you should. Here's a link to it. Of course Entwistle is still with them and Zack Starkey is on drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjA_RtsBfAo

Now that is good stuff, and it brings the house down. Extremely emotional performance and crowd reaction.
Scott

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

#20 Post by W1KNE » 08 Feb 2010 14:06

Scott/SNE Webmaster wrote:It's just another by-product of over-commercialization anyway. The Super Bowl has obviously grown FAR beyond just the game. Sad in some aspects. They must be "scared" to hire modern acts after the wardrobe malfunction a few years back.

I agree with this statement 110%. However the local commercialization is a huge shot in the arm for local broadcast TV and local advertising.
Imagine the kids listening/watching and asking their parents why these old geysers are playing the music from the CSI shows? Anyone notice how all of the CSI themes were included? I'm sure CBS had NOTHING to do with that, right?

Of course it should be noted that the CSI themes are some of their most popular songs, and that means nothing... hee hee.

John, that is a very interesting point you posted, and provides a different look at it. Bravo.

And you guys liking U2? where you drunk? U2 stinks, and they're worse live! They were terrible during the half time show, and have never had one song out that I like.
My favorite half-time show to this date was the Beavis and Butt-head half time show that aired on MTV back in '95. Now THAT was some funny sh--.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

N1BHH (Silent Key)

#21 Post by N1BHH (Silent Key) » 08 Feb 2010 14:08

Most assuredly Pete and Roger knew they were only going to be on stage for a very short time and had to come up with a short list of tunes, so why not play to the CBS audience. Notice there were a few plugs for CSI during the pre-game and during the game, so it's a win-win situation for CBS. They have some number one shows to celebrate. That Letterman/Winfrey/Leno bit was filmed in NYC Thursday night and only a handful of people knew about it.

edmfox25

#22 Post by edmfox25 » 08 Feb 2010 16:25

You know..with all the AC/DC tunes that the NFL plays around the league stadiums, like Thunderstruck, For Those About To Rock & Hells Bells...why not just have AC/DC play the half time show. The songs are short and for sure the crowd would be into it.

Otherwise I thought the Who was OK. Their songs just don't do well in a medley. Hindsight being 20/20 they should have just done Baba O'Rielly and Won't Get Fooled Again in a minor abbreviated fashion.

AS for U2.. I agree, used to be good now they are just over exposed and over rated for the most part.

N1BHH (Silent Key)

#23 Post by N1BHH (Silent Key) » 08 Feb 2010 16:29

U2 are so full of themselves anyhow. Once they did that Rattle and Hum tour, they just became too snooty for me.

Scott
Site Administrator

#24 Post by Scott » 08 Feb 2010 17:20

As Butthead said, "That Boner Guy, uh huh huh uh huh huh..."

I'd love to see AC/DC do the halftime show but they're probably too drunk and lewd to conduct themselves appropriately! Or the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who are relevant, expend a great deal of energy onstage, and actually incorporate many different musical styles into their act which would probably serve to please the majority of the people there. If you want to see a great video seek out the one for Dani California. Fantastic. They'd be a great show. I agree that a medley of Who songs does not at all work. U2 is "weird"...they lost it after their War album, got some of it back with Achtung Baby and Zooropa, and then just went plain bizarre after that. No worthwhile guitar playing either, just power chords and nothing else. I saw them at Foxboro Stadium in 1992 when you could say they were in their prime, and they put on a very good show. I wouldn't waste my time with them now.

Tommy Chong once said, "I think there should be a home for aged hippies." I'd take it one step further and create one for aged rock stars. Oh wait, I think it already exists at the Cape Cod Melody Tent, Las Vegas, and Branson Missouri. Never mind.
Scott

cja1987

#25 Post by cja1987 » 01 Mar 2010 20:53

Scott/SNE Webmaster wrote: I'd love to see AC/DC do the halftime show but they're probably too drunk and lewd to conduct themselves appropriately!

Sorry to bump an old thread but this is definitely not true.

They would be great for a half time show but they never agree to do "quick" shows for "commercial" purposes except for the RNR Hall of Fame Induction. Plus the production companies that run the super bowl halftime show need to use very portable/generic sound equipment and AC/DC will go with nothing but the best; the stuff they own. Anything else is not loud enough for their liking.

They are definitely not drunk/inappropriate these days. A few of them are over 60, the singer is at least 62 and they definitely could not play drunk at their ages. I saw them at the garden and Gillette in 08 and 09 and they were spectacular, singer sounds a bit different with age but still manages and they rock just as hard as they did in the 70's/80's. Professional and enjoying themselves/the crowd the whole time, except for the blow up doll on stage and the occasional females lifting their shirts that get on the screen, not inappropriate by any means. Plenty of families and young kids at the Gillette show. Never knew anybody in the band to be visibly drunk on stage or have any trouble with alcohol/drugs. I bet that stuff was long gone by 1980 otherwise they would all be dead.

Of course alot of their songs are straight up sexual innuendo and sometimes just clearly about sex, songs like Hells Bells, For those about to rock, Rock N Roll Train, Thunderstruck, Highway to Hell etc would work great in an NFL setting. You will just never get them on a tight time schedule and a generic, overproduced stage. As big as they are, they still shy away from the spotlight.
Chris
GRE PSR-500
Uniden BC95XLT
Larsen 150/450/800 Antenna