Stolen Radio

Discuss any non-radio topic. Just about anything goes. Be civil, no personal vendettas and NO FLAME WARS are allowed! Kick back...relax...have a virtual beer...it's on Scott! Welcome to the Bar & Grille!
fishermanscan

Stolen Radio

#1 Post by fishermanscan » 09 Mar 2011 18:01

I work at Mass Maritime Academy as a Campus Police Dispatcher. With that said during the recent sea term one of the radio's on the ship went MIA. Now that that the ship has returned lets just say whoever has that radio has been saying some pretty vulgar things over the radio. My question is how can we track this person down? The radio system doesn't have ID's that show up on the dispatch consul when a PTT button is pressed so we can't track it that way.

What can be done to fix this problem? Maybe a PL or a DPL change? Im sure that would be a great cost to the MMA having to change all the radios! Is there anything else you guys can suggest? :confused:

Thanks,
Jeremy
Jeremy,
Monument Beach, MA

"Our tax dollars should go towards weapons to destroy them - not lawyers to defend them"

fishermanscan

#2 Post by fishermanscan » 09 Mar 2011 18:28

On a side note, we use Motorola HT1250 radios with 4 channels.
Jeremy,
Monument Beach, MA

"Our tax dollars should go towards weapons to destroy them - not lawyers to defend them"

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#3 Post by garys » 09 Mar 2011 19:02

Depending on how long the transmissions last, one of the local ham radio clubs might be able to help you track it down. Some of them practice what are called "Fox Hunts", which is finding rogue transmitters. Start there.

If you find it, and it's a cadet, I'm sure Admiral Gurnon will take the appropriate action.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

JBP

#4 Post by JBP » 09 Mar 2011 20:25

garys is correct, direction finding is a skill that many amateurs practice. The basic idea is simple though, tune a receiver to the repeater input and use a directional antenna to find the direction of origin. You can get several 'headings' to triangulate the location of the transmitter. Since theses transmission may be very brief that could make it hard to track down. See if you can find someone with a portable doppler, that would be the fastest way to find the source.

I believe HT-1250's have a knock down feature but if you don't run id's that feature probably will not work.

Good luck with tracking the interference.
Jeremy
KB1REQ (DMR-MARC: 3125125)

rry4488

#5 Post by rry4488 » 09 Mar 2011 21:32

it will probably stop once it runs out of batteries, unless they stole a charger also.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#6 Post by ecps92 » 10 Mar 2011 07:16

a.) Grab a portable scanner and put the INPUT to the Repeater [contact me off line, if you don't know]
and see what you hear with a small antenna.

b.) Then turn the squelch up [No noise] and see if you still hear it

c.) if B, then take the antenna off and walk the campus with NO Antenna !

d.) It's a Military Academy - Room/Locker Search :)
fishermanscan wrote:I work at Mass Maritime Academy as a Campus Police Dispatcher. With that said during the recent sea term one of the radio's on the ship went MIA. Now that that the ship has returned lets just say whoever has that radio has been saying some pretty vulgar things over the radio. My question is how can we track this person down? The radio system doesn't have ID's that show up on the dispatch consul when a PTT button is pressed so we can't track it that way.

What can be done to fix this problem? Maybe a PL or a DPL change? Im sure that would be a great cost to the MMA having to change all the radios! Is there anything else you guys can suggest? :confused:

Thanks,
Jeremy
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#7 Post by ecps92 » 10 Mar 2011 07:17

Very few agencies implement OTAR which can STUN a radio :(

The majority of them would be Federal and/or a Trunked System who do. :)
jcop225 wrote:garys is correct, direction finding is a skill that many amateurs practice. The basic idea is simple though, tune a receiver to the repeater input and use a directional antenna to find the direction of origin. You can get several 'headings' to triangulate the location of the transmitter. Since theses transmission may be very brief that could make it hard to track down. See if you can find someone with a portable doppler, that would be the fastest way to find the source.

I believe HT-1250's have a knock down feature but if you don't run id's that feature probably will not work.

Good luck with tracking the interference.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

creeperjeep

#8 Post by creeperjeep » 10 Mar 2011 08:17

ecps92 wrote:Very few agencies implement OTAR which can STUN a radio :(

The majority of them would be Federal and/or a Trunked System who do. :)

The kill feature is done with MDC signaling, and there is no box to uncheck to disable it.
the default ID in those radios is 1111 but I dont know if the radio will respond if the MDC is not set up.
Plus, if you could kill it, you would probably kill all the others too.
-Matt

fishermanscan

#9 Post by fishermanscan » 10 Mar 2011 08:57

I'm sure admin will do something if it keeps up I was just inquiring from a radio standpoint.
Jeremy,
Monument Beach, MA

chiefj

#10 Post by chiefj » 10 Mar 2011 16:48

May I ask on what frequency this is occurring? Also is it through a repeater?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson