DMR out of control

Discussion forum for scanning Cape Cod & the Islands, including Barnstable, Dukes, and Nantucket counties.
deacon

DMR out of control

#1 Post by deacon » 26 May 2018 10:17

So, for many years I enjoyed band openings. Now I find them a PIA. DMR, CC and other similar noise enter my radios from all over, not fun. If you use a tone, you obviously defeat the point of listening. I find myself constantly using the lockout key. Any thoughts??

Chuck

ecps92

Re: DMR out of control

#2 Post by ecps92 » 26 May 2018 12:54

Sadly been that way for me, close to the city for sometime now, and now getting more DMR on GMRS and Itinerants.

Lock-out, Clear-All Lock-Outs, Lock-out, Clear all Lock-outs so many times now my lock-out buttons resembled my Search Button
deacon wrote:
26 May 2018 10:17
So, for many years I enjoyed band openings. Now I find them a PIA. DMR, CC and other similar noise enter my radios from all over, not fun. If you use a tone, you obviously defeat the point of listening. I find myself constantly using the lockout key. Any thoughts??

Chuck
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

deacon

#3 Post by deacon » 26 May 2018 14:21

Amen, I am glad I am not alone.

garys

#4 Post by garys » 26 May 2018 15:33

There is a lot more digital activity, especially on common business frequencies. It's mixed in with analog activity and can be a mess to hear. A couple of private ambulance services share frequencies with other users and if I don't the PL, it's annoying at times.

Whether technically legal or not, there are some UHF NXDN trunk systems that share frequencies with conventional analog. In fact, RDC and Radiophone share a common frequency on their trunk systems. At least the frequency is licensed to both. The distance between them seems to me to be a bit short for interference avoidance, but someone thought it was okay.

Eventually, we'll see little analog activity. DMR offers to the ability to have two voice slots per frequency, so a for profit radio system operator is likely to find that attractive.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

deacon

#5 Post by deacon » 26 May 2018 19:38

Seeking additional revenue seems to enter all aspects of life. I hear DMR CC on some of the Metro Boston PD frequencies. It must be coming from the NY/NJ/PA area over the water to my Cape Cod location. Scott must be having the same experience.

Chuck

cdgordon

#6 Post by cdgordon » 28 May 2018 10:14

I prefer using the SDR units for signal hunting now because I can get the spectrum analyzer type view such as SDRSharp. I have gotten where I know much of the spectrum available from my home by sight and can tell if it is a digital signal by looking at the screen. Feeding into DSDPlus for getting additional information. It is just another way of monitoring for me. The added hassle is carrying a laptop if I go to remote sites by foot.

With the scanners, I have my primary scanner for searching, a Uniden 536 with DMR and NXDN added on. That allows ID of signals that I don't already know. Not as easy as the software but better signal usually.

The Temporary Lockout function on the Uniden scanners gets used more than I ever imagined i would use it.

chris

garys

#7 Post by garys » 28 May 2018 12:50

I generally use my SDR set up for figuring out new systems and Talk Group ideas. I use my scanners in ID Scan mode, especially when driving. I don't want to be fiddling with controls when I'm moving. The exception for right now is NXDN because the systems have relatively few users and I want to be able to get an idea of what sites I can hear in various locations. At some point, I'll have that figured out, load in the TGs I want, and change to ID Scan mode.

I use Temporary Avoid a lot more as well. There are a couple of VHF and UHF frequencies that are used by private ambulance services in analog, but have other users are digital. One has one company in analog clear, and another analog scrambled. Once I have the PL figured out, that problem will be solved.

cdgordon wrote:
28 May 2018 10:14
I prefer using the SDR units for signal hunting now because I can get the spectrum analyzer type view such as SDRSharp. I have gotten where I know much of the spectrum available from my home by sight and can tell if it is a digital signal by looking at the screen. Feeding into DSDPlus for getting additional information. It is just another way of monitoring for me. The added hassle is carrying a laptop if I go to remote sites by foot.

With the scanners, I have my primary scanner for searching, a Uniden 536 with DMR and NXDN added on. That allows ID of signals that I don't already know. Not as easy as the software but better signal usually.

The Temporary Lockout function on the Uniden scanners gets used more than I ever imagined i would use it.

chris
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

cmpsa

#8 Post by cmpsa » 25 Jun 2018 11:38

As a two-way radio tech, this started becoming a problem around (prior & thereafter) 2013 for the narrowbanding deadline, when radio shops started modified customers from older analog radios to new analog/digital radios, they switched customers off analog over to DMR digital. The primary problem I encountered was factory radios & repeaters were defaulted to DMR "color code" 1. So most radio shops just switched the customer from analog to DMR, and just used the radio default "color code" 1. So various radios shops were getting complaints of hearing other strange users and come were keying up 2 repeaters, etc. I ended up finding that other users on that same freq had also switched to DMR (same radio shop or different) and one user was hearing or keying up another user's as they drove around, etc. 80% of the complaints I helped solve was in the Metro Boston area because UHF is so over populated there, and a lot of UHF repeater freqs are licensed to other users in and around metro Boston, etc. So radio shops had to pick certain users and reprogramming their entire fleet of radios again changing the color code to a different number, so now they wouldn't hear each other.

What I personally feel is very stupid - is color codes? What does a color code have do with radios. It's simply just a number starting at 0 through 15, so 16 color codes (i.e. only 16 choices of a CTCSS/DCS tone {in lay man's terms}). Due to only 16 choices, there is a greater chance to pick a "number" that someone else is using on the same freq of a current user now, for example. At least with CTCSS and DCS tones, you have a much larger list to pick from, less chance of picking a tone someone else in your area is using.