One Voice Network S.E. MASS

Discussion forum for scanning Southeastern Massachusetts, including Bristol and Plymouth counties.
jvaillancourt

One Voice Network S.E. MASS

#1 Post by jvaillancourt » 17 Mar 2019 18:21

Question: Fairly new to scanning and I'm confused with the One Voice Network. I have the Uniden SDS100 scanner and I purchased the DMR upgrade and I can verify that it works as I can pick up AAA and other ambulance chatter in S.E. MASS. I downloaded the One Network frequencies (all of them for S.E. MASS) they have a 150-mile radius which includes NY, CT, RI, MA etc. and I am in the 150-mile radius but my radio does not pick up any of it. Am I doing something wrong?

garys

Re: One Voice Network S.E. MASS

#2 Post by garys » 17 Mar 2019 19:26

I don't know what you mean by "150 mile radius" or even where you got that number from, but you aren't going to receive anything from 150 miles away. Depending on where you are S.E. Mass, you might receive Abington (Site 61) or Barnstable (Site 56), or maybe Scituate RI (Site 62). I can receive Abington and Boston, but no other sites from Brockton area.

The site that RR lists, and I assume is in the download, is no longer part of the One Voice system. I think Hamden, MA is, but I don't get out that way more than once or twice a year.

You won't pick up any of the CT, NY, NH, etc., sites except for under very unusual circumstance.

You aren't doing anything wrong, but it seems you don't have a full grasp of the practical range of UHF radio systems.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

W1KNE

#3 Post by W1KNE » 18 Mar 2019 01:24

jvaillancourt wrote:
17 Mar 2019 18:21
Question: Fairly new to scanning and I'm confused with the One Voice Network. I have the Uniden SDS100 scanner and I purchased the DMR upgrade and I can verify that it works as I can pick up AAA and other ambulance chatter in S.E. MASS. I downloaded the One Network frequencies (all of them for S.E. MASS) they have a 150-mile radius which includes NY, CT, RI, MA etc. and I am in the 150-mile radius but my radio does not pick up any of it. Am I doing something wrong?
Make sure the proper service type is turned on. The system radius is 150 miles, but the site radiuses vary. I am not 100% which the SDS uses.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

W1KNE

#4 Post by W1KNE » 18 Mar 2019 01:26

garys wrote:
17 Mar 2019 19:26
I don't know what you mean by "150 mile radius" or even where you got that number from, but you aren't going to receive anything from 150 miles away.
In Radio Reference, the systems have radiuses set by the admins. There are radiuses in three parts. The system, the sites, and the talkgroup categories. When you download a system, this information is included. The data has the Lat, Long, and Radius. The Radiuses should closely match those of the transmitter, and let the end user decided how far out they want to receive.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

N1ZZN

#5 Post by N1ZZN » 18 Mar 2019 08:14

Compared to the Industrial system, there is very little activity on the One Voice sites around here. That could be the only issue, you just haven't caught anything at the right time.
Jeff Lehmann - N1ZZN WQDJ863
Hanson, MA

jeffkett

#6 Post by jeffkett » 23 Apr 2019 20:53

jvaillancourt, I listen to the One Voice Network from the Cape. I only have Barnstable and Abington active. All other sites are locked out. In about 6 months or so I have only caught 4 talk groups down this way .
100001 Goosetown (whatever that may be?)
500531 Barnstable 5 Star Bus
500532 Dennis/Yarmouth 5 Star Bus
?????? and #4 popped up as a Wildcard but did not get to save it.

As Gary mentioned..not much action in our area.
Jeff

{upon further reading.....Goosetown - Owner of System- Radio Techs?}

ecps92

#7 Post by ecps92 » 24 Apr 2019 07:12

Goosetown is the Radio Shop/Owner of the system
jeffkett wrote:
23 Apr 2019 20:53
jvaillancourt, I listen to the One Voice Network from the Cape. I only have Barnstable and Abington active. All other sites are locked out. In about 6 months or so I have only caught 4 talk groups down this way .

Jeff

Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

jvaillancourt

#8 Post by jvaillancourt » 28 Apr 2019 10:07

jeffkett wrote:
23 Apr 2019 20:53

Jeff

Great, thank you!