Braintree Radios _ Sluething Opportunity?

A forum for the discussion of APCO-2, DMR, NXDN, and any other type of digital radio systems in our monitoring area.
pdisher

Braintree Radios _ Sluething Opportunity?

#1 Post by pdisher » 09 May 2019 09:54

The town of Braintree has allocated some 92K for "Town Wide Radio System Migration".

Wondering Will this mean a transition to P25 or some other model ?

From the document referenced below;
"This project essentially migrates existing and less reliable leased copper phone lines...to a more reliable digital technology using point-to-point microwave and "radio tower over internet protocol". This will leverage the town's existing fiber optic cables. Further, this project can be shared by multiple departments (essentially any department using portable/mobile radios) including Braintree Fire, DPW, Schools, Transportation, etc. As such, the above project can be shared between the Braintree PD and other such departments".

Wondering if I need to be shopping for a new scanner. :)

Here is a link to the document from the ways and means committee (see page 13)
https://braintreema.gov/AgendaCenter/Vi ... o,240,-169

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Re: Braintree Radios _ Sluething Opportunity?

#2 Post by W1KNE » 09 May 2019 10:32

Honestly it looks like they are looking to replace the phone line interconnects to their repeater sites with MW or IP solutions. Those of us who use copper lines know the days are numbered, and the service is dropping fast on it. The cost to upgrade the whole radio system, like new repeaters, etc., I would think would be significantly higher.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#3 Post by ecps92 » 09 May 2019 12:07

I concur based on the $$ and the other descriptions

Good examples of the copper causing problems is the monthly lock-up on BAPERN and MetroFire due to the WET Lines

Surprised Braintree didn't update the Fire Repeater during Narrowbanding, as many agencies did since there were Grants available, long before T-Band got exempted
W1KNE wrote:
09 May 2019 10:32
Honestly it looks like they are looking to replace the phone line interconnects to their repeater sites with MW or IP solutions. Those of us who use copper lines know the days are numbered, and the service is dropping fast on it. The cost to upgrade the whole radio system, like new repeaters, etc., I would think would be significantly higher.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

#4 Post by W1KNE » 09 May 2019 16:35

pdisher wrote:
09 May 2019 09:54

Wondering if I need to be shopping for a new scanner. :)
Oh and yes, you should be. But just because it's fun to buy new toys.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

N1ZZN
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#5 Post by N1ZZN » 09 May 2019 16:36

I concur as well. Dedicated copper phone lines are becoming less and less reliable every day. Every department that is still using them should be aware by now that they should be switching to a fiber and/or microwave solution.
Jeff Lehmann - N1ZZN WQDJ863
Hanson, MA

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#6 Post by garys » 10 May 2019 19:57

Ahhh, the days of copper.

Calling Telco, giving them circuit numbers, techs chasing lines from CO to CO. Four wire radio control lines, two wire control lines, "ring down" lines to hospitals and ambulance stations.

At one time we had about 100 different circuits including dispatch radios, ring downs, regular dial phones, CMED radios, consoles at hospitals.

Good times, good times.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#7 Post by ScanBoston » 11 May 2019 07:04

Same here in Broadcast land. Control circuits to our transmitter sites, Analog equalizer Audio Circuits replaced by digital audio circuits for remotes and STL. Hell all over the country before satellite. Franklin Street Toll and broadcast toll offices in every major city. Then ISDN for remotes now all gone or going away soon. And in our case they really offer no alternatives in the same price area or with any sort of emergency service. This really has very little to do with copper story and way more to do with their business model. Which seems to be how can we trim this down to a much smaller company that provides minimal services with very little overhead. I think they will collapse eventually as their market moves away to other delivery options. MA Bell Rest in peace.