DMR Systems and Affiliations to Sites

A forum for the discussion of APCO-2, DMR, NXDN, and any other type of digital radio systems in our monitoring area.
Scott
Site Administrator

DMR Systems and Affiliations to Sites

Post by Scott »

I have been spending some background time cataloging the use of some of the DMR Con+ systems here on the cape, primarily Network 134 (ICE) Site 12. As an aside I am using SDRTrunk to do this. As I mentioned in another thread this app is simply outstanding in its ability to display, log, and demodulate DMR (and P25 for that matter).

The thing that I find most interesting and most peculiar are the way talkgroups affiliate with various sites. It seems to me that in a lot of cases there is really no rhyme or reason to it. I expect there is some reasoning behind it that escapes me, but why I am hearing companies and users from the Boston area on a site in the mid-cape area is beyond me. It seems to me like an absolute waste of system resources. One could say that maybe some of the agencies travel to the cape such as school bus companies, or a tow company could conceivably come down here with a towed vehicle, but how often does that happen? It's a busy system with 9 voice slots and it seems to me that Henry's Towing out of Framingham doesn't need to be showing up on the system here.

Maybe I'm missing something?
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"

MrSvenSven
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Re: DMR Systems and Affiliations to Sites

Post by MrSvenSven »

Maybe there are places where a Boston repeater gets across the water to the cape? Same reason the Provincetown PD talkgroup is on MSP site 5.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Odd, as I have never seen [Trunker] PPD on Zone 5

Marine Units affiliating to the Cape Sites, Yes, from within Boston Harbor
MrSvenSven wrote:
06 Oct 2021 14:04
Maybe there are places where a Boston repeater gets across the water to the cape? Same reason the Provincetown PD talkgroup is on MSP site 5.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

garys

Post by garys »

Scott, how hard is SDRTrunk to set up?

I use mostly DSDPLus, but wouldn't be against trying other software.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

garys wrote:
06 Oct 2021 16:15
Scott, how hard is SDRTrunk to set up?

I use mostly DSDPLus, but wouldn't be against trying other software.
SDRTrunk is Java based. Make sure your Java is up to date. Then you'll want to download an Alpha version of the software. Here's the link:

https://github.com/DSheirer/sdrtrunk/re ... .0-alpha.6

No need for any compiling with this version. Unzip it to the folder of your choice and you'll find the "sdr-trunk.bat" file in the \bin folder. Setting up systems can be a little quirky but once you get the hang of it it's easy. You can add alpha tags, icons, etc. to talkgroups, set whether to listen to them, their priority, and also record them for later playback, which is very helpful trying to ID unknowns.

Obviously you'll need a "tuner" as the software calls it. An RTL-SDR works fine but I use Airspy's with mine.

One neat trick; you'll need to create a "playlist" at the initial running of the software. If you can create it and save it to any cloud storage you might have, you can access the same playlist from different locations and add to it. I use one playlist from home and work locations.

You can also add multiple SDR's and tune as many systems as you have SDR's at the same time. I have not tried this yet.

Like I said, the audio recovery is the best I've heard so far from any of these software based decoders. Supposedly it is close to or on a par with OP25, which is a complex setup that I have not even begun to fight!

I find SDRTrunk to be my go-to now for monitoring these DMR systems, and if I had more P25 systems I'd use it for them too. You can also do conventional of both P25 and DMR. Hopefully NXDN will follow.

Hope that's of some help!
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"

garys

Post by garys »

Thanks. Doesn't seem too bad. I'll install it and play with it a bit.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

wb1hbu

Post by wb1hbu »

Hello,

There is some discussion of affiliation in Motorola's Mototrbo System Planner. Linked Capacity Plus is different as talkgroups have to be configured to appear on more than one site.

One of the XPR radios I bought was used on a Connect Plus system in RI. I was able to read the radio and noticed the radio was limited to only affiliate to one site in the Connect Plus system.

73 Eric