APCO P-25 vs. Mototrbo

A forum for the discussion of APCO-2, DMR, NXDN, and any other type of digital radio systems in our monitoring area.
Avidlistner

APCO P-25 vs. Mototrbo

#1 Post by Avidlistner » 10 May 2014 19:36

In my listening area we do not have much in the way of P-25 or Mototrbo (everything is analog right now as far as I know), so I am not familiar. What is the difference? Can a P-25 radio and a Mototrbo radio communicate with each other?

ecps92

#2 Post by ecps92 » 11 May 2014 07:54

Yes - in Analog Mode
Avidlistner wrote:In my listening area we do not have much in the way of P-25 or Mototrbo (everything is analog right now as far as I know), so I am not familiar. What is the difference? Can a P-25 radio and a Mototrbo radio communicate with each other?
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Scott

#3 Post by Scott » 11 May 2014 09:34

The two different protocols can't communicate with one another digitally, which I believe is the question being asked. As Bill states though, if both are in analog they could potentially, were they each programmed with the proper data.
Scott

Avidlistner

#4 Post by Avidlistner » 11 May 2014 15:00

Hi Scott, yes that was what I was curious about. I did have a conversation with a radio manufacturer that said he was not familiar with MotoTrbo, (thought that was odd) but anyway, if all public safety has to become P-25 compliant and it cannot communicate with MotoTrbo, why would anyone in their right mind spend all that money to go to MotoTrbo, unless they are being sold a bill of goods that its accepted? I thought the whole point of making everyone go to P-25 was interoperability?

ScanBoston

#5 Post by ScanBoston » 11 May 2014 21:36

MotoTrbo is not intended at all for PS. It is a low cost digital alternative for business and industrial users. Hams like the built in ip connect linking features so some of them prefer it over P25.

schwab

#6 Post by schwab » 11 May 2014 22:17

Avidlistner wrote:Hi Scott, yes that was what I was curious about. I did have a conversation with a radio manufacturer that said he was not familiar with MotoTrbo, (thought that was odd) but anyway, if all public safety has to become P-25 compliant and it cannot communicate with MotoTrbo, why would anyone in their right mind spend all that money to go to MotoTrbo, unless they are being sold a bill of goods that its accepted? I thought the whole point of making everyone go to P-25 was interoperability?
There's no mandate that all public safety has to go P25. Having several local agencies in the same band (VHF vs. UHF vs. Low band, etc) would be a far greater benefit to interoperabilty than going to P25.
Jacob
KB1VLA

ecps92

#7 Post by ecps92 » 12 May 2014 06:22

There was/might still be, plenty of Federal Grants that stated "Radios must be P25 compatible" to be approved for the grant
schwab wrote:There's no mandate that all public safety has to go P25. Having several local agencies in the same band (VHF vs. UHF vs. Low band, etc) would be a far greater benefit to interoperabilty than going to P25.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

ScanBoston

#8 Post by ScanBoston » 12 May 2014 08:55

Mandated or not very few will make it through the next phase of rebanding without digital audio. 6.25KHz of bandwidth isn't going sound very good in analog.