APCO P-25 vs. Mototrbo

A forum for the discussion of APCO-2, DMR, NXDN, and any other type of digital radio systems in our monitoring area.
Avidlistner

APCO P-25 vs. Mototrbo

#1 Post by Avidlistner » 10 May 2014 19:36

In my listening area we do not have much in the way of P-25 or Mototrbo (everything is analog right now as far as I know), so I am not familiar. What is the difference? Can a P-25 radio and a Mototrbo radio communicate with each other?

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#2 Post by ecps92 » 11 May 2014 07:54

Yes - in Analog Mode
Avidlistner wrote:In my listening area we do not have much in the way of P-25 or Mototrbo (everything is analog right now as far as I know), so I am not familiar. What is the difference? Can a P-25 radio and a Mototrbo radio communicate with each other?
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Scott
Site Administrator

#3 Post by Scott » 11 May 2014 09:34

The two different protocols can't communicate with one another digitally, which I believe is the question being asked. As Bill states though, if both are in analog they could potentially, were they each programmed with the proper data.
Scott

Avidlistner

#4 Post by Avidlistner » 11 May 2014 15:00

Hi Scott, yes that was what I was curious about. I did have a conversation with a radio manufacturer that said he was not familiar with MotoTrbo, (thought that was odd) but anyway, if all public safety has to become P-25 compliant and it cannot communicate with MotoTrbo, why would anyone in their right mind spend all that money to go to MotoTrbo, unless they are being sold a bill of goods that its accepted? I thought the whole point of making everyone go to P-25 was interoperability?

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#5 Post by ScanBoston » 11 May 2014 21:36

MotoTrbo is not intended at all for PS. It is a low cost digital alternative for business and industrial users. Hams like the built in ip connect linking features so some of them prefer it over P25.

schwab
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#6 Post by schwab » 11 May 2014 22:17

Avidlistner wrote:Hi Scott, yes that was what I was curious about. I did have a conversation with a radio manufacturer that said he was not familiar with MotoTrbo, (thought that was odd) but anyway, if all public safety has to become P-25 compliant and it cannot communicate with MotoTrbo, why would anyone in their right mind spend all that money to go to MotoTrbo, unless they are being sold a bill of goods that its accepted? I thought the whole point of making everyone go to P-25 was interoperability?
There's no mandate that all public safety has to go P25. Having several local agencies in the same band (VHF vs. UHF vs. Low band, etc) would be a far greater benefit to interoperabilty than going to P25.
Jacob
KB1VLA

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#7 Post by ecps92 » 12 May 2014 06:22

There was/might still be, plenty of Federal Grants that stated "Radios must be P25 compatible" to be approved for the grant
schwab wrote:There's no mandate that all public safety has to go P25. Having several local agencies in the same band (VHF vs. UHF vs. Low band, etc) would be a far greater benefit to interoperabilty than going to P25.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#8 Post by ScanBoston » 12 May 2014 08:55

Mandated or not very few will make it through the next phase of rebanding without digital audio. 6.25KHz of bandwidth isn't going sound very good in analog.