Worcester P25 Phase II

A forum for the discussion of APCO-2, DMR, NXDN, and any other type of digital radio systems in our monitoring area.
miata54

Worcester P25 Phase II

#1 Post by miata54 » 08 Apr 2017 15:42

Hello:

I'm just returning to the hobby from a long absense. After turning on my PSR-500 the other day, and after complete silence for 10-15 minutes from the Worcester EDACS system, that silence told me something had probably changed. I posted on the RR web site and received an answer that indeed, Worcester had gone to a P25 Phase II system. Further info said that my PSR-500 could not pick up transmissions from that system. Another poster thought that the new system was a combo Phase I (talk groups) and Phase II (system). It was also suggested to program the CC into the scanner to see if I received anything. I did that and much to my surprise, I received the entire system using CC 858.3125.

What I would like to know is this. As before under EDACS, can I selectively program the PD and FD to seperate scan lists that use the NEW talk groups? I do not want to update my subscription to the RR database only to find that I can not selectively seperate the talk groups. Trying to manually program the PSR-500 takes a degree in mechanical engineering. Perhaps the most confusing and difficult to understand operational manual I have ever come across.

Any help would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Chris
Christopher
Worcester, MA

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#2 Post by garys » 08 Apr 2017 16:18

I'd program all of the frequencies in, just in case they change the control channel.
You can program Talk Groups to different lists, just as with any other trunk system.
As I recall, the public safety frequencies, at least the ones that aren't encrypted, are Phase 1. There are members who live out that way and listen more often than do I, they can provide more details.

What are you using to program the scanner?
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

miata54

#3 Post by miata54 » 08 Apr 2017 17:18

garys wrote:I'd program all of the frequencies in, just in case they change the control channel.
You can program Talk Groups to different lists, just as with any other trunk system.
As I recall, the public safety frequencies, at least the ones that aren't encrypted, are Phase 1. There are members who live out that way and listen more often than do I, they can provide more details.

What are you using to program the scanner?
Thanks for responding. Quick answer to your question, I have the PSR-500 Edit program which has worked just fine. Looking at the info on RR, there are a number of 769.xxxx frequencies that are new, also accompanied by some 85x.xxxx frequencies. Should I enter all of them? In entering them on the 500, should I select TGRP?
Christopher
Worcester, MA

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#4 Post by ecps92 » 08 Apr 2017 18:58

Program only the Worcester Zone (As mentioned in my RR Post)
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=26397
http://scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?title ... nformation

there are NO 700 Mhz channels, currently for the Worcester Zone. Only the Boston 700 Overlay.
miata54 wrote:Thanks for responding. Quick answer to your question, I have the PSR-500 Edit program which has worked just fine. Looking at the info on RR, there are a number of 769.xxxx frequencies that are new, also accompanied by some 85x.xxxx frequencies. Should I enter all of them? In entering them on the 500, should I select TGRP?
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#5 Post by garys » 08 Apr 2017 19:53

As Bill says, no just the 800 frequencies. The way that RR organizes the MA system is very confusing. I've complained about that, but they aren't interested in changing it.

The only things that Cambridge, Boston, MSP, MassPort, and Worcester share are the Astro Core controller the Talk Groups, and individual radio IDs. Units from one system can, at least in theory, pop up on the other systems, but that will be very rarely done. The organization of the information on this site is much better.

The only reason that these various trunk systems appear to be part of one is that the shared controller.
miata54 wrote:Thanks for responding. Quick answer to your question, I have the PSR-500 Edit program which has worked just fine. Looking at the info on RR, there are a number of 769.xxxx frequencies that are new, also accompanied by some 85x.xxxx frequencies. Should I enter all of them? In entering them on the 500, should I select TGRP?
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

miata54

#6 Post by miata54 » 09 Apr 2017 09:45

Thanks for the assistance. Got it all up & running!
Christopher
Worcester, MA

wb1hbu

#7 Post by wb1hbu » 09 Apr 2017 10:45

Hello,

There is ocassionally discussion about the organization of linked sites on RR, especially Military ones. They are kept together because they are considered part of the same system and I can see why they do it that way to be consistent.

Boston City Services are on Zone 1 of the state's Motorola Smartzone system. Most can not affiliate off Zone 1. It is still considered part of the state system. The SNE Wiki puts it all on the same page, while the organization of the state's P25 system in the Wiki is different.

73 Eric

miata54

#8 Post by miata54 » 09 Apr 2017 13:14

Thanks for the clarification.
Christopher
Worcester, MA