ICE MotoTRBO TRS Decoding Project

A forum for discussion of the many trunked radio systems in and around our listening area.
ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Re: ICE MotoTRBO TRS Decoding Project

#151 Post by ecps92 » 28 Apr 2018 08:15

I would agree [per FCC] for Northfield
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSear ... =&x=8&y=12
jmarcel66 wrote:
27 Apr 2018 23:01
Site 38 appears active in NH on 935.4625 with the Control Channel in service at the moment. Strong signal in North Concord (Penacook), NH and may be in Northfield atop Highland Mountain. It is showing Site 38 with Color Code of 8.

John Marcel,
Penacook, NH
K1FDD/WPXA902
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#152 Post by garys » 26 Jul 2018 14:33

Is replying to my own post like talking to myself?

Anyway, after getting home from vacation, I cranked up the DSD+/SDR laptop and dialed in the control channel for Quincy. 935.4000 is back on line at full power. I guess that answers my question about how long it will take to get fixed.

I wonder if they were waiting for parts or if they just didn't realize until recently that one of the transmitters was transmitting at reduced power?
garys wrote:
22 Mar 2018 22:46
I went to East Milton Square this afternoon and set up my SDR/DSD+ rig. 935.4000 is on the air, but with greatly reduce power. Seems to be some sort of problem with the transmitter for that particular frequency.

I wonder how long it will take before it gets fixed?
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#153 Post by garys » 04 Dec 2018 21:15

I'm seeing several sites with the message "Con+ Network Repeater Map Broadcast; File Version = 02042018. It also shows the Channel # and duration of the broadcast.

On a guess, mobile units are being updated with new frequencies for existing sites or maybe new sites.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

cdgordon
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#154 Post by cdgordon » 05 Dec 2018 00:26

Look in the DSDPlus folder for the file. Should be something like "ConP 171 Network Repeater Map"

chris

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#155 Post by garys » 05 Dec 2018 15:09

Sadly, not there. Which probably just means I don't have something set up properly. Too bad, it would likely have been helpful.

UPDATE: I deleted the VC.log file and restarted the program on the chance that it will be buried in there somewhere. As luck would have it, the site I was on started downloading the file right after that. It's been going on for about 40 minutes so far. I'm going to wait for the file transfer to end and then close DSD_VC. Maybe the file will be there in a readable format.
cdgordon wrote:
05 Dec 2018 00:26
Look in the DSDPlus folder for the file. Should be something like "ConP 171 Network Repeater Map"

chris

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#156 Post by garys » 01 Jun 2019 16:37

I just found TG 573, which is a towing company in Boston. A better ID is needed. I've only found it on Site 32 so far, but it should also show up on at least the two other Boston sites.

Also, I think I finally found site 32 on this system. I haven't confirmed it yet, but it appears to be located on 111 Perkins St. in JP. In about 24 hours of listening, most of the TGs are users in the Boston area. It seems to be sort of a "fill in" site, although I don't think DMR networks use that terminology.

I'll update the Wiki as soon as I can confirm the location.

wb1hbu

#157 Post by wb1hbu » 17 Jun 2019 23:25

garys wrote:
01 Jun 2019 16:37
I just found TG 573, which is a towing company in Boston. A better ID is needed. I've only found it on Site 32 so far, but it should also show up on at least the two other Boston sites.

Also, I think I finally found site 32 on this system. I haven't confirmed it yet, but it appears to be located on 111 Perkins St. in JP. In about 24 hours of listening, most of the TGs are users in the Boston area. It seems to be sort of a "fill in" site, although I don't think DMR networks use that terminology.

Hello,

I wonder if TG 573 is CJ Auto and Tow in Waltham.

Site 32 is very likely on Prospect Hill in Waltham. Coming back from my company outing in Westford I ended up looping down to the Mass Pike in search of site 32 and got some strong signals in the Natick/Framingham area. I hit paydirt in the old "Intermod Alley" on Route 128. I was not sure if it was Bear Hill or Prospect Hill. Tonight I had to go to Costco in Waltham, so I did a little driving around. No signal by the Bear Hill site, but good signal in the Prospect Park parking lot. Unfortunately the park closes at 8 PM so I could not drive up the hill.

When I bought my Icom IC-R30 I thought it would make a good receiver to DF sites. Unfortunately in strong RF fields with no antenna the internal attenuator somewhat worked on the first setting and not at all on the second and third setting. My old AOR AR8200 is better as the attenuator works in strong rf fields with no antenna. I can also use the SFM setting and tune off 6.25 KHz to further attenuate the signal.

My SDRPlay RSP2 overloaded with an antenna connected when I was close to the site on top of Mount Agamenticus. It worked okay with the antenna disconnected. There was the added benefit of any strong signal displayed was coming from a site on the mountain. I find that using 6 MHz ZIF works the best and the whole 900 MHz Band is displayed. Low-IF has too many images on 900 MHz.

73 Eric

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#158 Post by garys » 18 Jun 2019 10:01

I'll have to see if I can get enough location information on 573 to confirm that. It seems likely as they do a lot of work on I95 and the Turnpike.

I've come to the same conclusion about Site 32 as have you. I even used much the same process to get to it. I was at Costco yesterday and had my SDR set up with me. I got good signal without an antenna while sitting in the parking lot. That narrowed it down to Bear Mountain or Prospect Hill. I drove up towards Bear Hill and the signal dropped away. I then got back on the highway and drove through the Needham flats. No signal there at all.

I had previously eliminated The Arlmont area along Route 2, Perkins Street in JP, Zion Hill in Woburn, and a couple of other sites.

So, by process of elimination, it seems likely to be Prospect Hill. I have to go out in that direction later today and will leave early enough to stop a Prospect Hill Park and see what comes up. If it's not there, I'm at a loss.

It's odd that there is no site license for that site, but I did see that ICE has some "market licenses" on 900Mhz, so maybe they don't have to list all sites. Or maybe it's just a database glitch.

wb1hbu

#159 Post by wb1hbu » 18 Jun 2019 11:21

Hello,

It seems like existing site licenses were kept and newer sites were licensed under the Market-based licenses. I have seen it in other cases as well.

I remember a tow company was on the old UHF LTR system in Waltham, but can not remember the name.

73 Eric

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#160 Post by garys » 18 Jun 2019 15:08

The tower isn't on Prospect Hill. I was sitting in the Prospect Hill Park lot and saw a tower across the road. After driving around a bit, I've located it to 39 Sachem Street, Waltham. You can get a good look at it using Google Maps street view. It looks pretty new and oddly, it's right in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

Coordinates are 42°23'55.5"N 71°14'24.2"W. It seems to be called Pine Hill, although Google doesn't have it listed that way. It might be an informal name.

I was getting great signal right down the road on Trimount Street looking at the tower. No antenna on the SDR set up and gain or the RTL dongle set almost to zero. It has a decent view of Bear Hill and Prospect HIll, hence my looking in two wrong places. It's also less than 1.5 miles to the Costco lot.

I'm confident that we can put this mystery to bed.

wb1hbu

#161 Post by wb1hbu » 22 Jun 2019 23:09

Hello,

I got a chance to visit near Mt. Agmenticus (Site 34) in between rain showers. I only heard activity on three frequencies. This looks like a three frequency site as 937.6875 and 938.6500 was not used during several go-arounds.

939.1875 DCC 4 CC/Voice LCN 1 OTA 1/2
935.2500 DCC 4 CC/Voice LCN 2 OTA 3/4
936.6500 DCC 4 CC/Voice LCN 3 OTA 5/6

Today only talkgroup 412 was active on Site 34. I determined it is the Ogunquit Trolley Co from the radio traffic, the names of the trolleys, and the stops. There are two trolley operators, but only Ogunquit Trolley Co goes to the Majestic and has named trolleys.

I was still hearing the trolley traffic into Massachusetts.

73 Eric

MASSBUSMARK

#162 Post by MASSBUSMARK » 23 Jun 2019 09:55

Great catch Eric on the Ogunquit Trolleys. I believe they were on the old ICE analog system in the past.
The other day I picked up school bus traffic on TG 424 on the Andover site, not sure what company as it was a brief conversation between a bus and dispatcher about where to drop the bus off in Chelmsford. I have a hunch it could be another NRT Bus talkgroup given where the bus was and the location the driver was being told to go to. They have a garage in Chelmsford that may match the directions being given by the dispatcher and their Lynn garage was on the ICE Medford analog site, so possibly could have been a Lynn bus, but will need to hear more traffic to confirm. Probably won't hear much till school starts up again. NRT moves buses around to other garages when the school year ends either to be replaced by newer buses or to be moved to one of their other locations.
Mark

wb1hbu

#163 Post by wb1hbu » 23 Jun 2019 11:13

Hello,
I am currently hearing the 134-50 (Testing) site control channel on 935.0375 with no neighbors.

73 Eric

wb1hbu

#164 Post by wb1hbu » 12 Jul 2019 22:51

Hello,

One useful capability of the SDRPlay is reception of the whole 900 MHz trunked band. I set the LO for 937.50625 and sampling rate to 6 MSPS. I also found doing short spectrum recordings helped in searching for frequencies and channel order. 2GB is about 90 seconds of spectrum and I can loop it in SDRUno. My laptops use SSDs so no problem doing the spectrum recording. Busy sites can go through all their channels several times in 90 seconds. It also allows me to do recordings on the road while I am doing something else. I keep a SDRPlay in the car.

I can not believe that I receive the control channels for over 17 sites on this system from my Home QTH. One of them is Site 37 in Rutland, MA. I noticed Gary could not find Repeater 4 last month. I can receive the site here using a 900 MHz beam. I made several recordings when there was activity on Repeater 4, but could not find the active frequency. The control channel would change frequencies each day and disappear every fourth day. I thought maybe the fourth frequency was in use by another site that was active, or I was too far away to receive Repeater 4.

I noticed that I was not receiving a control channel from Site 37 this morning and I was going to the Worcester area late in the afternoon. I could not find anything when I was in Holden. I did receive a control channel on 937.4500 for Site 37 when I was near the site. It was not very strong and disappeared when I was over a mile away from the site. So a mystery is solved! It is likely Repeater 4 has a bad RF Amplifier or a feed line problem. None of the other Site 37 frequencies were active because units had to be very close to the site to affiliate. Site 13 in Paxton is also strong in the area so units likely used Site 13 instead.

Site 33 is located at the southern end of Pearl Hill in Fitchburg, MA.

73 Eric

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#165 Post by ScanBoston » 13 Jul 2019 07:21

Maybe you should let their radio shop know Eric?

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#166 Post by garys » 13 Jul 2019 07:26

Very nice work, Eric. My two prime candidates for the fourth frequency were 937.4500 and 937.4625 based on what was used at the analog site when that was up. I had planned on finding an excuse to drive out to Rutland, but you've saved me the effort.

The Quincy site had a frequency that did the same thing for several months before they fixed the repeater. It wasn't one of the control channels, but one had to be practically right under the tower to pick up any activity on it.

Industrial should make a donation to Scan New England for us to monitor the system for them. ;)

wb1hbu

#167 Post by wb1hbu » 21 Jul 2019 11:50

Hello,

I stopped off at Cleft Rock Park in Plymouth yesterday while I was on the south shore. Amazingly the spectrum recording contained the Orleans site (134-14). TGs heard where 416 and 417. The neighbors list was 11 01 11 02, so I do not know if it another site was intended to be included. Color code on all frequencies was 14.

Code: Select all

Freq       LCN     LSN
938.1375    1      1/2
935.1625    2      3/4
936.2125    3      5/6
73 Eric

wb1hbu

#168 Post by wb1hbu » 28 Jul 2019 14:43

Hello,

I forgot to mention that 935.1625 and 936.2125 are control and voice channels for Site 134-14.

I found it interesting that Site 14 in Orleans only has Kingston, Quincy, and Site 11 in the neighbors list. That seemed to indicate that Site 11 is east of Site 12 in Falmouth. I suspected Site 11 was the old 900 Analog Trunked site in Barnstable. I was able to confirm that Site 11 is in the Oak St area of Barnstable, MA.

73 Eric

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#169 Post by garys » 28 Jul 2019 22:01

You're scratching everything off of my ICE MotoTrbo list! ;) I'll update the Wiki.

There is a fairly tall tower at 749 Oak Street in West Barnstable. Google maps shows it as WCVX TV, but that appears incorrect. I was unable to determine if there is an active TV or radio station at the site currently from searching on the Internet. There was a court case back in 1998 where the owners applied for a permit to raise the tower from 220 to 450 feet. They lost that case, and by looking on Google Maps, I was unable to determine the height of the tower.

It's possible that 749 Oak Street is the site as I couldn't find any other towers off of Oak Street.

Maybe someone can find out what's actually there.

For now, I'll update Site 11 to Barnstable.

Thanks.
wb1hbu wrote:
28 Jul 2019 14:43
Hello,

I forgot to mention that 935.1625 and 936.2125 are control and voice channels for Site 134-14.

I found it interesting that Site 14 in Orleans only has Kingston, Quincy, and Site 11 in the neighbors list. That seemed to indicate that Site 11 is east of Site 12 in Falmouth. I suspected Site 11 was the old 900 Analog Trunked site in Barnstable. I was able to confirm that Site 11 is in the Oak St area of Barnstable, MA.

73 Eric

wb1hbu

#170 Post by wb1hbu » 29 Jul 2019 08:28

Hello,

The old 900 MHz analog license lists 765 Oak St, but the coordinates are near the tower at 749 Oak. The ASR shows Pinnacle Towers LLC as the owner. It indicates the tower was built in 2002 at 128.3 Meters (420 Ft). So any dispute must have been settled. WQRC-FM transmitter is licensed at the location.

Industral Tower and Wireless has a 175 foot tower at 463 Oak St (south of the highway). Their web site calls it Barnstable II. Based on my observations, this location is Site 11.
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSea ... Key=111483

I thought I got a new DMR trunked system on 936.2375, but it turned out to be an image of the OneVoice site 171-56 (Barnstable) on UHF. They are licensed for 749 Oak Street.

73 Eric

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#171 Post by garys » 29 Jul 2019 09:32

Good information. Thanks.

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

#172 Post by W1KNE » 01 Aug 2019 15:15

http://www.necrat.us/40capecod.html

The SBA Oak St Tower, where WQRC, WHYA and WPXC are all located. WDPX has since left this tower, and entered into a sub channel channel share in the Boston area.

http://www.necrat.us/883falmouth.html

The Industrial Tower, that Eric mentioned.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

disp617

#173 Post by disp617 » 03 Aug 2019 07:06

wb1hbu wrote:
17 Jun 2019 23:25
garys wrote:
01 Jun 2019 16:37

Hello,

I wonder if TG 573 is CJ Auto and Tow in Waltham.

Site 32 is very likely on Prospect Hill in Waltham. Coming back from my company outing in Westford I ended up looping down to the Mass Pike in search of site 32 and got some strong signals in the Natick/Framingham area. I hit paydirt in the old "Intermod Alley" on Route 128. I was not sure if it was Bear Hill or Prospect Hill. Tonight I had to go to Costco in Waltham, so I did a little driving around. No signal by the Bear Hill site, but good signal in the Prospect Park parking lot. Unfortunately the park closes at 8 PM so I could not drive up the hill.

When I bought my Icom IC-R30 I thought it would make a good receiver to DF sites. Unfortunately in strong RF fields with no antenna the internal attenuator somewhat worked on the first setting and not at all on the second and third setting. My old AOR AR8200 is better as the attenuator works in strong rf fields with no antenna. I can also use the SFM setting and tune off 6.25 KHz to further attenuate the signal.

My SDRPlay RSP2 overloaded with an antenna connected when I was close to the site on top of Mount Agamenticus. It worked okay with the antenna disconnected. There was the added benefit of any strong signal displayed was coming from a site on the mountain. I find that using 6 MHz ZIF works the best and the whole 900 MHz Band is displayed. Low-IF has too many images on 900 MHz.

73 Eric
573 is confirmed Perfection Towing Watertown

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#174 Post by ScanBoston » 03 Aug 2019 07:14

There is no Industrial site on Prospect Hill in Waltham. As you know the Antico tower was removed after the battle with the city so only the city's site remains there now. You have the American Tower sites across the highway on Bear Hill and another tower that you can see to the east a little north that I think is called Pine Hill. Perfection Towing in Watertown moved from the Dispatch Communication system to Industrial after the Antico tower left so that is still a pretty active towing company in the area that hasn't been identified. They work on the Pike for the MSP a lot.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#175 Post by garys » 03 Aug 2019 14:25

If you look down thread, you'll see a couple of posts where we discuss the "Pine Hill" tower. I think it's called Pine HIll, although I didn't see it listed as such on Google Maps. If you sit in the parking lot for the Prospect Hill Park and look across the street, you'll see that tower. Which is how I stumbled across is back in June.

It's up at the top of the hill, right in a residential neighborhood.

Good work on Perfection by you and disp617. The locations I heard mentioned fit in perfectly with where they generally go.

ScanBoston wrote:
03 Aug 2019 07:14
There is no Industrial site on Prospect Hill in Waltham. As you know the Antico tower was removed after the battle with the city so only the city's site remains there now. You have the American Tower sites across the highway on Bear Hill and another tower that you can see to the east a little north that I think is called Pine Hill. Perfection Towing in Watertown moved from the Dispatch Communication system to Industrial after the Antico tower left so that is still a pretty active towing company in the area that hasn't been identified. They work on the Pike for the MSP a lot.