NXDN Network 178 Site 13

A forum for discussion of the many trunked radio systems in and around our listening area.
Scott
Site Administrator

NXDN Network 178 Site 13

#1 Post by Scott » 20 Apr 2019 22:22

Hi,

Anyone hearing a NXDN control channel on 460.025? It's moderately strong here and showing up as L178-13 with neighbors of L178-1, 3, 6, and 7.

FCC licensing has always been wonky on these systems but using the updated NEFD I see City of New Bedford and Town of Orleans as area possibilities but that doesn't match up with RDC Communications.

Site 13 is consistent since they have eleven sites that have been identified and a site in Paxton (or at least licenses) which I've tentatively labeled Site 12.
Scott

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Re: NXDN Network 178 Site 13

#2 Post by garys » 21 Apr 2019 11:52

Nothing up here in Stoughton.

In New Bedford that frequency MIGHT be part of their Cap+ trunk system. I still haven't had the time to drive down towards there and figure that entire system out. All of which is to say, that I don't think they'd be part of a NXDN commercial system. Then again, it's New Bedford... ;)
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#3 Post by ecps92 » 23 Apr 2019 13:14

Likely a VHF Band Opening to the Sand-Bar and RI as it was reported to me from RI for a few minutes and faded out with the VHF Tropo
141.3 Confirmed in Tolland CT and DMR Confirmed in New Bedford - both wiki's updated

Scott wrote:
20 Apr 2019 22:22
Hi,

Anyone hearing a NXDN control channel on 460.025? It's moderately strong here and showing up as L178-13 with neighbors of L178-1, 3, 6, and 7.

FCC licensing has always been wonky on these systems but using the updated NEFD I see City of New Bedford and Town of Orleans as area possibilities but that doesn't match up with RDC Communications.

Site 13 is consistent since they have eleven sites that have been identified and a site in Paxton (or at least licenses) which I've tentatively labeled Site 12.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Scott
Site Administrator

#4 Post by Scott » 23 Apr 2019 14:34

The signal, a NXDN 4800 baud control channel, is present as I type this. It is too weak to be decoded by DSD+ but my ear tells me what it is. The other day, and I'll try again from home tonight, it showed as stated, 178-13, with neighboring sites of 1 (Yarmouth), 3 (Plymouth), 6 and 7 (yet to be determined in the Wiki).

So it's out there somewhere. As we know, licensing is wonky with these systems historically. Some serious digging at FCC ULS might yield some results; I haven't got that far yet. But it is most certainly not DMR of any nature. The New Bedford system as stated is Capacity Plus and quite strong here, also much busier during the day.

Keep searching!

Edit: Site 1 is Yarmouth....doh!
Scott

Scott
Site Administrator

#5 Post by Scott » 23 Apr 2019 14:41

Now that I hit send on the last post I now see that it has indeed again decoded as "Current Site: L178-13 with a RAN of 13. So I'm seeing it from 2 different locations on the Cape. Not sure which signal was stronger. Maybe it is from downcape? Next time I get out that way I'll investigate.
Scott

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#6 Post by ecps92 » 23 Apr 2019 14:46

Which might explain the lack of RI Coverage then, except during some good Tropo
Happy Hunting
Scott wrote:
23 Apr 2019 14:41
Now that I hit send on the last post I now see that it has indeed again decoded as "Current Site: L178-13 with a RAN of 13. So I'm seeing it from 2 different locations on the Cape. Not sure which signal was stronger. Maybe it is from downcape? Next time I get out that way I'll investigate.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Scott
Site Administrator

#7 Post by Scott » 23 Apr 2019 14:52

Yep, and Gary not hearing it up his way either. Sadly it's too weak from here and as we know a good part of the traffic on these systems goes dark after business hours. I'll run one of my Airspys on it tonight while watching the :Bruins: hopefully take care of business....
Scott

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#8 Post by garys » 23 Apr 2019 17:08

Looking at the FCC information for RDC isn't all that illuminating. It's possible that there are several different licensees involved. Tracking that down might require searching by frequency.

Wonky is a good term for it, and the FCC data doesn't seem to be all that up to date. If the neighbor sites are down on the Cape, then it's likely that the site itself is on the Cape or close to it.

Meanwhile, there is a prospective Site 12 in Paxton. I'll add it to the list of stuff to be investigated when I'm out that way AND have some time sit and listen to what isn't a super busy system.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

Scott
Site Administrator

#9 Post by Scott » 27 Apr 2019 18:07

After periodically monitoring this system via Airspy/SDR#/DSD+ for several days, it appears that it has yet to have any activity on it. No channels populate the channel activity window of DSD+....so it could be a work in progress. The signal is strong enough at my house that I would surely be seeing more system data if there was activity. I'm relatively sure that this site is "downcape" somewhere. It's stronger here than it is in Mashpee.
Scott

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#10 Post by ecps92 » 28 Apr 2019 11:36

Juast a WAG - Radio shop burning it in, before moving it out for instalation ?
Scott wrote:
27 Apr 2019 18:07
After periodically monitoring this system via Airspy/SDR#/DSD+ for several days, it appears that it has yet to have any activity on it. No channels populate the channel activity window of DSD+....so it could be a work in progress. The signal is strong enough at my house that I would surely be seeing more system data if there was activity. I'm relatively sure that this site is "downcape" somewhere. It's stronger here than it is in Mashpee.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#11 Post by garys » 29 Apr 2019 21:27

Possible. Although, the fact that it shows neighbor sites down on the Cape makes me think it's going further out as opposed to going somewhere else.

There's also a possible "Site 12" out in Paxton. The license exists, but I haven't been able to verify activity on the site, so haven't listed it.

The callsign for that (and a number of other sites) is WQQK694. Frequencies for Paxton are,

ecps92 wrote:
28 Apr 2019 11:36
Juast a WAG - Radio shop burning it in, before moving it out for instalation ?
Scott wrote:
27 Apr 2019 18:07