Unknown Hanscom TRS TGIDs

Discussion forum for scanning Eastern Massachusetts, including Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex, and Essex counties, as well as the greater Boston metropolitan area.
bfrederi

Unknown Hanscom TRS TGIDs

Post by bfrederi »

There are a couple of TGIDs on the Hanscom P25 TRS that pop up every so often that have me baffled:

What's odd is that they always affiliate at the same time from the same RID, but they (almost) never appear in an actual group call. (The one exception was when I caught 60002 in an encrypted group call that lasted for a few seconds in 2018.)

So in summary:

1. 60002 pops up rarely.
2. 60011 pops up even more rarely.
3. When they do, they always affiliate to the same radio that is also affiliating to TGID 60001 (Hanscom Fire).
4, With one exception, which was encrypted, they never seem to carry any actual traffic, though it's very possible that they are used so rarely that I just never catch them.

Can any P25 TRS experts out there comment on two TGIDs occasionally being affiliated with the same radio at the same time, with the second one never (or almost never) being used?

jbella

Re: Unknown Hanscom TRS TGIDs

Post by jbella »

Possibly a station alert tone. (?)

bfrederi

Post by bfrederi »

Thanks jbella. I'll keep watching this.

In the meantime, I got an interesting hit in the logs from last night:

DSD+ Channel Activity Window:
0-1 851.0125

Event Log:
2020/02/27 04:28:25 Private call; Tgt=9-369 Ch=851.0125 Pri0

Didn't seem to be bracketed by any other activity. I've never seen this before.

I know 851.0125 is an interop freq, but there is very little recent info in the Wiki or forums about it in Massachusetts, even though there are over a dozen active licenses for the Commonwealth and Worcester.

[Update: Minutes after posting this, another one popped up: 0-29 851.1875
TG=8-1280
I wonder if the sudden appearance of these has anything to do with the work I've been hearing on TGID 60018... ].

jbella wrote:
26 Feb 2020 21:23
Possibly a station alert tone. (?)
Bruce
Burlington, MA

bfrederi

Post by bfrederi »

One last update to this thread and then I'll stop spamming the forums (unless somebody has some interest in this topic).

Two additional frequencies have popped up on the Hanscom TRS system since my last update. And just to clarify why this stuff is catching my eye, here is a screenshot of the DSD+ channel activity window when the first two appeared:

Hanscom TRS DSD+ Channel Activity window
Hanscom TRS DSD+ Channel Activity window
outlier_hanscom_TRS_2_w_arrow.png (29.25 KiB) Viewed 1702 times

Here is a summary from the DSD event log file of all four 851.* frequencies that appeared Thursday and Friday, followed by /* my comments */.

2020/02/27 04:28:25 Private call; Tgt=9-369 Ch=851.0125 Pri0 /* This is the only one that makes sense to me: Multiple Commonwealth of Mass licenses for Interop; also one for Worcester */

2020/02/27 10:48:04 Group call; TG=8-1280 Ch=851.1875 Pri0 /* Nothing licensed in MA; active licenses include what appear to be zombie Nextel licenses, and nothing else near us. */

2020/02/27 15:54:25 Private call; Tgt=22-67 Ch=851.075 Pri0 /* WQAX829, KNNF711 Mass. Dept. of Corrections. I suppose this could be for Interop with MCI Concord? */

2020/02/28 08:21:41 Group call; TG=7-388 Ch=851.0875 Pri0 /* Nothing licensed in MA; active licenses include what appear to be zombie Nextel licenses and--interestingly--Rhode Island EMA */

There is no commonality that I can see: some are private, some are group. They are showing up at all different times of the day. One or two frequencies make sense (Interop); the rest, not so much. And I don't know how to interpret those hyphenated talk groups in the log entries. If anybody has any theories about this, please post your thoughts.

bfrederi wrote:
27 Feb 2020 10:43

In the meantime, I got an interesting hit in the logs from last night:

DSD+ Channel Activity Window:
0-1 851.0125

Event Log:
2020/02/27 04:28:25 Private call; Tgt=9-369 Ch=851.0125 Pri0

Didn't seem to be bracketed by any other activity. I've never seen this before.

I know 851.0125 is an interop freq, but there is very little recent info in the Wiki or forums about it in Massachusetts, even though there are over a dozen active licenses for the Commonwealth and Worcester.

[Update: Minutes after posting this, another one popped up: 0-29 851.1875
TG=8-1280
I wonder if the sudden appearance of these has anything to do with the work I've been hearing on TGID 60018... ].
Bruce
Burlington, MA

bfrederi

Post by bfrederi »

I caught a bit of a break with TG 60011 today: a brief, in-the-clear, one-sided radio check with "MCC". The only org on base that I can find with that acronym is "Military Child Care". I suppose another stretch would be "MIddlesex Community College", but other than an affiliated aero-tech school, I'm not aware of any connection. An even further stretch would be interop with Middlesex Community College campus security. None of these seem likely; I'm just grasping at straws.

bfrederi wrote:
24 Feb 2020 10:14
There are a couple of TGIDs on the Hanscom P25 TRS that pop up every so often that have me baffled:

What's odd is that they always affiliate at the same time from the same RID, but they (almost) never appear in an actual group call. (The one exception was when I caught 60002 in an encrypted group call that lasted for a few seconds in 2018.)

So in summary:

1. 60002 pops up rarely.
2. 60011 pops up even more rarely.
3. When they do, they always affiliate to the same radio that is also affiliating to TGID 60001 (Hanscom Fire).
4, With one exception, which was encrypted, they never seem to carry any actual traffic, though it's very possible that they are used so rarely that I just never catch them.

Can any P25 TRS experts out there comment on two TGIDs occasionally being affiliated with the same radio at the same time, with the second one never (or almost never) being used?
Bruce
Burlington, MA

jbella

Post by jbella »

XX Command Center or XX Communications Center maybe? Mitre perhaps?

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Mitre as well as Lincoln labs have always maintained their own RF NETS
as Mitre is not on BASE and Lincoln is only "Adjacent"

But I am inclined to got with xCommand Center or xCommunication Center
jbella wrote:
24 Mar 2020 16:57
XX Command Center or XX Communications Center maybe? Mitre perhaps?
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

bfrederi

Post by bfrederi »

@jbella: Thanks. I thought I responded to this last night but apparently I never hit Send.

@ecps92: Agreed, though I wouldn't rule out anything at this point, considering some of the non-Hanscom TGs I've been seeing pop up over the past month or two. I haven't checked the MITRE DMR for a few years, even though it's just a couple of miles down the road. And I just realized that I haven't heard LL security for quite some time, even though I used to have to lock them out whenever I enabled Hanscom freqs, because they were so active (and boring ;) ).

Gives me a couple of things to check out instead of listening to Lahey and local public safety like I have for the past several days...

ecps92 wrote:
24 Mar 2020 19:19
Mitre as well as Lincoln labs have always maintained their own RF NETS
as Mitre is not on BASE and Lincoln is only "Adjacent"

But I am inclined to got with xCommand Center or xCommunication Center
Bruce
Burlington, MA