Boston city PD & FD freqs?

Discussion forum for scanning Eastern Massachusetts, including Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex, and Essex counties, as well as the greater Boston metropolitan area.
riskan20

Boston city PD & FD freqs?

Post by riskan20 »

Hello,
I live in Cranston RI. From my location I can hear Boston fire the main dispatch on 483.1625 and it comes in about 2 - 3 "bars" signal on my BCT15X scanner. Antenna is Omni X up about 20'. Also I hear the automated dispatch "alert" on 453.6500. Have not heard any other Fire freqs except for these two. Is Boston Police on strictly P25 system? Or are there some analog freqs that I might be able to monitor. I am trying out and testing the range on this Omni X antenna. Seems to work well on VHF and UHF. Better than the Diamond discone I have out there. Also I was thinking if I got a YAGI antenna for UHF so that it might bring the Boston Fire in a bit better.

n1zyy

Re: Boston city PD & FD freqs?

Post by n1zyy »

A good deal of the Boston public safety stuff is atop some of the big skyscrapers and carries pretty far as a result.

Boston PD is still analog: https://scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?titl ... Department

I remember reading something here that they're going to migrate to P25 conventional, but that hasn't happened yet. The 700/800 MHz P25 trunked system I think you're referring to is mostly for non-public-safety city services, with some public safety stuff patched in, at least last time I listened.
Matt, N1ZYY ★ Lowell, MA

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

a. Location, Location, Location
b. Antenna and Coax

That said, and I am sure the answer is in a previous thread here on on RR that someone with exceptional experience for Boston Fire has already answered, so Please search the thread within the past year.

As has also been said in some of the Trunk and P25 threads, the days of Flame Thrower Repeaters is gone.
Agencies only need to cover their Jurisdiction and any reception outside of that is frosting on the cake, but not needed as Almost Everyone has 128+ channels in the radios
that contains all the mutual aid networks and neighboring towns, as needed.

A Yagi might help, as I know folks in RI who can hear "Some" of the Boston channels [not all the time tho]
YMMV
riskan20 wrote:
22 May 2020 09:24
Hello,
I live in Cranston RI. From my location I can hear Boston fire the main dispatch on 483.1625 and it comes in about 2 - 3 "bars" signal on my BCT15X scanner. Antenna is Omni X up about 20'. Also I hear the automated dispatch "alert" on 453.6500. Have not heard any other Fire freqs except for these two. Is Boston Police on strictly P25 system? Or are there some analog freqs that I might be able to monitor. I am trying out and testing the range on this Omni X antenna. Seems to work well on VHF and UHF. Better than the Diamond discone I have out there. Also I was thinking if I got a YAGI antenna for UHF so that it might bring the Boston Fire in a bit better.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

A Few of us read that same "Puff" piece [from what now, 3 yrs ago] and, it had lots of misleading info
n1zyy wrote:
22 May 2020 09:47
A good deal of the Boston public safety stuff is atop some of the big skyscrapers and carries pretty far as a result.

Boston PD is still analog: https://scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?titl ... Department

I remember reading something here that they're going to migrate to P25 conventional, but that hasn't happened yet. The 700/800 MHz P25 trunked system I think you're referring to is mostly for non-public-safety city services, with some public safety stuff patched in, at least last time I listened.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

n1zyy

Post by n1zyy »

ecps92 wrote:
22 May 2020 11:33
A Few of us read that same "Puff" piece [from what now, 3 yrs ago] and, it had lots of misleading info
I took that article (press release?) as gospel at the time, about how BPD was doing a P25 buildout, and maybe I shouldn't have. Sure doesn't seem to have materialized.
Matt, N1ZYY ★ Lowell, MA

systech456

Post by systech456 »

The BLU Radio Project is still very active, it’s a multi year project.
It takes time to remodel radio sites while keeping a large system active and not impacting system operation.
High power base stations are still very much in operation.
Narrow-banding had a much larger impact with regards to coverage than anyone predicted.
P25 conventional is coming.