Lowell General - 453.0750 (CWID only)

Discussion forum for scanning Eastern Massachusetts, including Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex, and Essex counties, as well as the greater Boston metropolitan area.
n1zyy

Lowell General - 453.0750 (CWID only)

Post by n1zyy »

I happened across a strong signal with a Morse code ID on 453.0750, PL 156.7 Hz. With my poor CW skills I was able to get "BK719"

That matches WQBK719, licensed to Lowell General Hospital, with the note/justification that it'll be used for ALS dispatch. That said, in about 12 hours of scanning 453 MHz, I only have a couple hits for CWIDs on that frequency (with PL), and no voice traffic. Pretty sure this isn't how local EMS is actually dispatched. Seems like the system is in place but maybe unused. Curious if anyone more familiar with EMS operations knows if this is ever actually used for anything.
Matt, N1ZYY ★ Lowell, MA

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Re: Lowell General - 453.0750 (CWID only)

Post by ecps92 »

It was the Dispatch channel 10+ yrs ago for the "Lowell Paramedics" out of LGH
my last notes have a confirmation from 2009

maybe someone forgot to unplug the Repeater :)
n1zyy wrote:
22 May 2020 11:49
I happened across a strong signal with a Morse code ID on 453.0750, PL 156.7 Hz. With my poor CW skills I was able to get "BK719"

That matches WQBK719, licensed to Lowell General Hospital, with the note/justification that it'll be used for ALS dispatch. That said, in about 12 hours of scanning 453 MHz, I only have a couple hits for CWIDs on that frequency (with PL), and no voice traffic. Pretty sure this isn't how local EMS is actually dispatched. Seems like the system is in place but maybe unused. Curious if anyone more familiar with EMS operations knows if this is ever actually used for anything.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

n1zyy

Post by n1zyy »

I wondered if it might be something new -- instead, it seems like it's something old! :cool:

The other thing that gave me a chuckle is that it shares the frequency with an American Red Cross repeater in Worcester, which I also ID'd a while back by CW and which also appears to have absolutely no usage except the periodic CW IDs.
Matt, N1ZYY ★ Lowell, MA

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

Even though the Wiki shows ALS for Lowell and a bunch of surrounding towns, as being provided by Saint's Memorial, it's actually Lowell General. Saints is now part of Lowell General Hospital. The listing at the LGH website may not be 100% accurate.

There are some overlaps between LGH and Trinity Ambulance. At one time, I think Trinity dispatched LGH units to ALS calls in some towns. I think that the repeater is sitting their just ending out it's lonely CWID hoping someone will actually use it. ;)
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

garys wrote:
22 May 2020 20:18
Even though the Wiki shows ALS for Lowell and a bunch of surrounding towns, as being provided by Saint's Memorial, it's actually Lowell General. Saints is now part of Lowell General Hospital. The listing at the LGH website may not be 100% accurate.
And the hospital operations wiki page, separate from the EMS pages, does accurately reflect this. :)
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

Then we should synchronize the terminology. I'll work on replacing "SMC" with "LGH", which will of course cause confusion between Lawrence General and Lowell General hospitals. Both of which run ALS systems. Lawrence now has BLS ambulances as well and use ambulances for the paramedics. They seem to have discontinued the intercept cars and put all of the medics in ambulances.
W1KNE wrote:
23 May 2020 05:31
And the hospital operations wiki page, separate from the EMS pages, does accurately reflect this. :)
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

n1zyy

Post by n1zyy »

garys wrote:
23 May 2020 14:02
Then we should synchronize the terminology. I'll work on replacing "SMC" with "LGH", which will of course cause confusion between Lawrence General and Lowell General hospitals. Both of which run ALS systems. Lawrence now has BLS ambulances as well and use ambulances for the paramedics. They seem to have discontinued the intercept cars and put all of the medics in ambulances.
For whatever it's worth (maybe not much), on-air I usually hear them referred to as "Main Campus" and "Saints."
Matt, N1ZYY ★ Lowell, MA