Quincy PD Ch 1

Discussion forum for scanning Eastern Massachusetts, including Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex, and Essex counties, as well as the greater Boston metropolitan area.
TheCoolMatrix

Quincy PD Ch 1

Post by TheCoolMatrix »

Hi all,
I have my XTS1500 programmed for RX only on several communities, but for some reason Quincy PD Ch 1 does not come across with the 192.8 PL on RR. I moved it to CSQ and it works fine. When I opened SDR# with the PL finder, it said 192.8. Am I doing something wrong? All other channels work fine. One other thing is does anyone know the proper coast time for DOS? I can’t seem to get it perfect for the frequencies I am trying to listen to.

Thanks!!!

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Re: Quincy PD Ch 1

Post by ecps92 »

My first thought is the radio needs to be put on the service bench for re-allignment
as Quincy Ch.01 has been doing well with 192.8 for years, even with the radio techs doing work last fall, 192.8 was regularly read on the tone reader[s]

DOS ? as in the operating system ? Sorry had to do that :)
TheCoolMatrix wrote:
11 Jan 2022 14:04
Hi all,
I have my XTS1500 programmed for RX only on several communities, but for some reason Quincy PD Ch 1 does not come across with the 192.8 PL on RR. I moved it to CSQ and it works fine. When I opened SDR# with the PL finder, it said 192.8. Am I doing something wrong? All other channels work fine. One other thing is does anyone know the proper coast time for DOS? I can’t seem to get it perfect for the frequencies I am trying to listen to.

Thanks!!!
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Captain Strobes

Post by Captain Strobes »

For Data Operated Squelch (DOS), assuming its set for 1200/1800 hz, 200.25ms is the average, but can be as much as 500ms. This setting effects the amount of time that the radio unmutes after receiving a signal. Basically giving the radio enough time to ignore the audible data chirp for those agencies using MDC/selective call identification at the beginning of a transmission.
Scott

Motorola XPR7550, XPR4550, XTL2500, XTL5000, XTS1500 and XTS5000
Uniden/Bearcat SDS200 & 785D,

TheCoolMatrix

Post by TheCoolMatrix »

Captain Strobes wrote:
11 Jan 2022 15:22
For Data Operated Squelch (DOS), assuming its set for 1200/1800 hz, 200.25ms is the average, but can be as much as 500ms. This setting effects the amount of time that the radio unmutes after receiving a signal. Basically giving the radio enough time to ignore the audible data chirp for those agencies using MDC/selective call identification at the beginning of a transmission.
I appreciate your insight! I will have to try to get the settings right.
ecps92 wrote:
11 Jan 2022 14:29
My first thought is the radio needs to be put on the service bench for re-allignment
as Quincy Ch.01 has been doing well with 192.8 for years, even with the radio techs doing work last fall, 192.8 was regularly read on the tone reader[s]

DOS ? as in the operating system ? Sorry had to do that :)
Alright. Would a Motorola dealer be a good place for re-alignment? That was what I thought about the PL to begin with, just didn't think the radio could need a re-alignment. Love the DOS OS joke :)

cja1987

Post by cja1987 »

Sent you a PM but not sure if it came through as it does not show in my sent folder...

At risk of sounding dumb, check CPS and see if deviation and spacing are set to 2.5 and 12.5 respectively.

My agency has a bunch of XTS 1500s with QPD in them and we started hearing people complain about QPD over the summer. Changing those fields from 5/25 to 2.5/12.5 solved the problem. Of course it should have been done a long time ago with narrowbanding but I guess we will just say reality does not always line up with the FCCs world and im also not the official person in charge of radios at the place either :)

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

During the Summer/Early fall Quincy [PD/FD] did have a major radio project going on - Narrow banding [as they are part of UASI]
occured long ago, but your issue may be a result of them getting ready to move to the Simulcasting and P25
cja1987 wrote:
12 Jan 2022 02:50

Sent you a PM but not sure if it came through as it does not show in my sent folder...

At risk of sounding dumb, check CPS and see if deviation and spacing are set to 2.5 and 12.5 respectively.

My agency has a bunch of XTS 1500s with QPD in them and we started hearing people complain about QPD over the summer. Changing those fields from 5/25 to 2.5/12.5 solved the problem. Of course it should have been done a long time ago with narrowbanding but I guess we will just say reality does not always line up with the FCCs world and im also not the official person in charge of radios at the place either :)
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

kelton.dray

Post by kelton.dray »

Check to see if your mute/unmute type is correct on the channel personality.Image
Attachments
2022-01-12 07_40_09-ASTRO 25 Mobile CPS - KDF VHF XTL Master.cpg.png
2022-01-12 07_40_09-ASTRO 25 Mobile CPS - KDF VHF XTL Master.cpg.png (53.73 KiB) Viewed 312 times

TheCoolMatrix

Post by TheCoolMatrix »

cja1987 wrote:
12 Jan 2022 02:50

Of course, I overlooked it..... deviation and spacing fixed the issue. Thanks so much!!!

cja1987

Post by cja1987 »

TheCoolMatrix wrote:
12 Jan 2022 12:51
Of course, I overlooked it..... deviation and spacing fixed the issue. Thanks so much!!!
Figured it likely would.

No idea what the technical explanation is, just know that it worked for the 50ish portables i had to deal with recently.

JohnRugg

Post by JohnRugg »

Narrowband utilizes PL that deviates approximately 0.5 kHz, whereas wideband utilizes PL that deviates approximately 0.7 kHz. If you were set to wide, and Quincy is narrow, there wasn’t enough modulation there for your PL decoder to work. It may be that Quincy was deviating slightly more before (possibly even more than is allowed for their licensed bandwidth), so it worked for you, and it was reduced/corrected with the work that they did, and now it doesn’t work for you.

John

Captain Strobes

Post by Captain Strobes »

I will say from experience, if you have reception issues on known frequencies, check your band settings. For example, a radio with a channel set to wide band (25 kHz) and you try to monitor a narrow band (12.5 kHz) frequency, it will have missed transmissions. With the newer (M) gear I've noticed that the receivers are less forgiving like the older stuff. Just remember, if you are not licensed to be on a frequency, you should not be transmitting on it, the FCC likes to take the gear and file charges and fines.
Scott

Motorola XPR7550, XPR4550, XTL2500, XTL5000, XTS1500 and XTS5000
Uniden/Bearcat SDS200 & 785D,

JFR

Post by JFR »

FYI- Qwinzee will transition to a P25 simulcast in a few months.

-JR