Quincy Police

Discussion forum for scanning Eastern Massachusetts, including Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex, and Essex counties, as well as the greater Boston metropolitan area.
kenny

Quincy Police

Post by kenny »

Quincy this morning 453.2250 $474

TheCoolMatrix

Re: Quincy Police

Post by TheCoolMatrix »

Quincy PD 2 this morning 453.25 $512

kenny

Post by kenny »

Thanks for the confirmation
Now to confirm Channel 3, 453.2750

garys
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

Bill and i confirmed that last summer being used for the dedication of the Generals Bridge.

ETA: I just got back home after a weekend trip. Maybe it's me, but Dispatch sounds a bit muddy on Channel 1, but mobiles sound okay.
I wonder is signal strength will be better down here in Stoughton?
kenny wrote:
03 May 2022 12:05
Thanks for the confirmation
Now to confirm Channel 3, 453.2750
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

scannermaster

Post by scannermaster »

I've been trying to receive it from the South Shore as well as from Cambridge with no luck, it's not encrypted is it? Is the signal putting out much power? Thanks for the help.

Rich

TheCoolMatrix

Post by TheCoolMatrix »

scannermaster wrote:
03 May 2022 17:56
I've been trying to receive it from the South Shore as well as from Cambridge with no luck, it's not encrypted is it? Is the signal putting out much power? Thanks for the help.

Rich
It is not encrypted on channel 1 or 2. I do agree that the power doesn’t seem high at all.

TheCoolMatrix

Post by TheCoolMatrix »

garys wrote:
03 May 2022 15:50

ETA: I just got back home after a weekend trip. Maybe it's me, but Dispatch sounds a bit muddy on Channel 1, but mobiles sound okay.
I wonder is signal strength will be better down here in Stoughton?
I noticed the same thing about dispatch being muddy but the mobiles are okay. The ambulances for some reason are super loud when they come on the air.

garys

Post by garys »

Brewster probably had to buy their own radios and they might have used a different shop and brand of radio. I don't know if QPD is using Motorola, although I'd guess so. Brewster might have gone with a different brand.

I imagine that the dispatch audio will be sorted out and maybe the Brewster audio as well.
TheCoolMatrix wrote:
03 May 2022 18:07
I noticed the same thing about dispatch being muddy but the mobiles are okay. The ambulances for some reason are super loud when they come on the air.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

scannermaster

Post by scannermaster »

Thanks guys. I'm hearing it intermittently now with breakup. Seems to be improving since earlier in the day?

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

scannermaster wrote:
03 May 2022 17:56
Very likely they're using a 5 site LSM system. Which means: fantastic coverage in the city, and lousy coverage outside of the city. Remember these new systems are designed to have improved "intracity" coverage vs the old days of the single flame thrower repeater. The emissions designator does not reflect them using LSM but it wouldn't be the first time the E.D. was not updated on the license.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me.

scannermaster

Post by scannermaster »

Thanks Mike. They also must have tweaked the system or turned on additional sites as now I'm receiving it fine from the South Shore.

garys

Post by garys »

I seem to remember reading an article that said that they were going to use three sites. Bill might remember or he might have posted the link. It was probably close to two years ago, so anything could have changed.

I have the SDS100 locked on to Channel 1 now, so I'll see if it improved since yesterday.
W1KNE wrote:
04 May 2022 08:46
Very likely they're using a 5 site LSM system. Which means: fantastic coverage in the city, and lousy coverage outside of the city. Remember these new systems are designed to have improved "intracity" coverage vs the old days of the single flame thrower repeater. The emissions designator does not reflect them using LSM but it wouldn't be the first time the E.D. was not updated on the license.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Why have to remember when there is an entire thread dedicated to it
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=42031
garys wrote:
04 May 2022 15:49
I seem to remember reading an article that said that they were going to use three sites. Bill might remember or he might have posted the link. It was probably close to two years ago, so anything could have changed.

I have the SDS100 locked on to Channel 1 now, so I'll see if it improved since yesterday.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

garys

Post by garys »

That's why I have you, to do my research! ;)
ecps92 wrote:
04 May 2022 16:29
Why have to remember when there is an entire thread dedicated to it
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=42031

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

garys wrote:
04 May 2022 15:49

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSea ... ey=1217369

They are licensed for five sites and likely using all five.
Mike Fitzpatrick

TheCoolMatrix

Post by TheCoolMatrix »

W1KNE wrote:
05 May 2022 06:48

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSea ... ey=1217369

They are licensed for five sites and likely using all five.
Actually they are only using 4 sites (316 Hancock, the new dog pound, 109 Curtis Ave, and the Ricciuti Water Tank). The 114 Whitwell was the original transmitter that was taken down due to construction. There was talk of adding 2 more RX only sites at Engine 6’s station in Hough’s Neck and at Engine 7’s station in Squantum. I don’t believe that those have been added, and it is unknown if they still plan on doing it.

https://cms7files1.revize.com/quincyma/ ... 20maps.pdf

These are the coverage maps from when the project started if anyone is interested.

garys

Post by garys »

It's smart, but somewhat unusual in municipal planning to get more sites that you might actually need. Of course if experience shows that the extra sites are needed then they are available.

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

garys wrote:
05 May 2022 20:59
It's smart, but somewhat unusual in municipal planning to get more sites that you might actually need. Of course if experience shows that the extra sites are needed then they are available.
Not if you're doing a simulcast like Quincy is. Especially over a city with such variable terrain and size as Quincy is. It's not unusual at all.
Mike Fitzpatrick

CoastalFrank

Post by CoastalFrank »

Hello everyone, I am new to scan New England and excited to see all the great info.
I have been an avid scanner enthusiast for 40 years mostly using a Uniden XLT200.
Recently I finally made the jump into modern times and purchased a SDS100 and SDS200 and have started to learn the programming through sentinel (there was a little learning curve)
My Issue that I am looking for help with is (as I am sure may know) that Quincy recently switched to I believe Digital and I am not sure how to find the new frequencies and/or get them imported into my scanner.
I can hear Quincy activity on a scanner app. on my phone which cures my craving for Quincy action, but I dearly miss my scanners.
Is there any info or someone that can help me get back online with Quincy police ???
Thank you advance for any help that may come my way.

ScanBoston

Post by ScanBoston »

Welcome aboard Frank,

This site has a great frequency source the Wiki which is kept up to date from the users. For the Police try https://www.snewiki.com/wiki/index.php/ ... epartments you will see that it's the same freq of 453.2250 but now that they are P25 you will need to use the NAC of 474. You can discover all the rest the same way.

CoastalFrank

Post by CoastalFrank »

Awesome thank you for that info.
And am I correct in thinking my older scanners will no longer pick up these channels due to them going to P25

kenny

Post by kenny »

The supplied Sentinel software for your new scanners will probably not have the correct information until next week as uniden updates the database on Monday or Tuesday each week.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Correct, many of us who have the older ANALOG scanners now need to LOCKOUT QPD and some other towns, as all we will get is the noises.

As Kenny mentions once the data makes it to the RRDB, it will take a week for then Uniden to get it into their next preloaded update.
In the mean time , you can always manually add them to your Favorite lists (I think that is what the SDS calls them)

Also - Welcome to SNE
CoastalFrank wrote:
10 May 2022 14:34
Awesome thank you for that info.
And am I correct in thinking my older scanners will no longer pick up these channels due to them going to P25
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

ecps92 wrote:
10 May 2022 16:00
As Kenny mentions once the data makes it to the RRDB, it will take a week for then Uniden to get it into their next preloaded update.
It was added to the RRDB on May 3rd. However the Sentinel DB did not update off of RR last week, so it's not been updated yet.
Mike Fitzpatrick

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

ecps92 wrote:
10 May 2022 16:00
In the mean time , you can always manually add them to your Favorite lists (I think that is what the SDS calls them)
The Sentinel Update has the F1 P25 on it. F2 and F3 haven't been submitted and I haven't verified them yet, so they aren't changed yet.
Mike Fitzpatrick