FRCOG Changes soon???

Discussion forum for scanning Western Massachusetts, including the cities of Springfield, Pittsfield, Holyoke,
and all cities and towns within the counties of Berkshire, Hampden, Hampshire, and Franklin.
Microphone

FRCOG Changes soon???

#1 Post by Microphone » 24 Feb 2019 14:25

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Re: FRCOG Changes soon???

#2 Post by garys » 24 Feb 2019 16:07

Define "soon."
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

#3 Post by W1KNE » 24 Feb 2019 18:05

12 years old. Holy s--t. Just looked at the old WIKI page for the system, and it was created in November 2007.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

Microphone

#4 Post by Microphone » 25 Feb 2019 11:53

garys wrote:
24 Feb 2019 16:07
Define "soon."
Exactly. Should be now. Soon is probably 2025.

I live here in Franklin County. The towers are a joke, some strong signals can be found, some take some luck to get.
As a town, Montague would be the first to jump on their system. Since they left the 158's MHZ's, their system is a joke and a danger.
Last edited by Microphone on 25 Feb 2019 12:35, edited 1 time in total.

Microphone

#5 Post by Microphone » 25 Feb 2019 12:35

Letter to the editor regarding this subject from today's Greenfield Recorder:
800MHzCoMIRS network.

Given how extensively I was quoted, I wish the article had pointed out that I am, along with many other officials, deeply skeptical about joining CoMIRS. We need much more information.

It was suggested CoMIRS could be the cheaper option. That is speculative. Even proponents acknowledge it could also be more expensive. Lacking firm figures from Boston, we don’t know. Also unknown: Who will pay to equip our personnel with expensive new radios needed to transition? How long will migration take?
The remainder of the item can be read here https://www.recorder.com/ltr-hamdan-Frn ... m-23678526

cdgordon
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#6 Post by cdgordon » 25 Feb 2019 14:49

The funding for the expansion of COMIRS is coming in great part from an increase in MA telephone 911 surcharges. It would be interesting in if the court decision that allows this also allows for other governments such as FRCOG to either assess additional levies or get a portion of the funding the state collects.
One difficulty that I see is how do you deal with not having mobile extenders in every vehicle (volunteer's cars)
The P25 switch allows any band, VHF Hi, UHF, and 700/800 to be used together. You can have UHF sites in Franklin and 700/800 elsewhere. The Franklin radios could be dual (or full coverage for M/A to surrounding VHF systems) that would allow them to get coverage away from the county. If by some chance they could get 5 or 6 VHF pair (probably impossible without including DPW users), they could go to VHF trunking on the COMIRS switch.
However they do it, hopefully they don't cheap out again.

chris

jbella

#7 Post by jbella » 03 Mar 2019 09:41

Given that letter to the editor, cost is an issue and the way those folks think, they will cheap out again.

Franklin County's main problem is the hilly, rural terrain couple with a lack of population. How do you justify 100% coverage for areas with no population to taxpayers who don't want to pay any in the first place?