Vanishing Ambulance Services

This forum is for the discussion of the scanning and monitoring of Massachusetts statewide agencies.
garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Vanishing Ambulance Services

#1 Post by garys » 08 Aug 2019 12:28

Not as in going out of business, but as in I'm not hearing them on the systems where I used to.

Vital Ambualnce. Was on ICE with TGs of 196 (ambulane) and 197 (chair car). There were bought by AMR sometime last year. I haven't got a hit on 196 since early December. I used to hear them on Foxboro and Quincy from home, but now nothing. The website shows them as locally managed, but I wonder if they've moved to VHF and are being dispatched out of wherever AMR dispatch is located.

Childrens Hospital. Was on the Comtronics UHF MotoTrbo system. Only two ambulances and not all that busy, but haven't heard them at all lately. They just ordered a new ambulance, so they are still.

Speaking of the Comtronics UHF trunk, 484.6125 seems to have dropped off the trunk rotation. I don't know if that's temporary or permanent, but it's disappeared since I did a reconfirmation about a month ago.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

disp617

Re: Vanishing Ambulance Services

#2 Post by disp617 » 08 Aug 2019 13:02

garys wrote:
08 Aug 2019 12:28
Not as in going out of business, but as in I'm not hearing them on the systems where I used to.

Vital Ambualnce. Was on ICE with TGs of 196 (ambulane) and 197 (chair car). There were bought by AMR sometime last year. I haven't got a hit on 196 since early December. I used to hear them on Foxboro and Quincy from home, but now nothing. The website shows them as locally managed, but I wonder if they've moved to VHF and are being dispatched out of wherever AMR dispatch is located.

From a friend that works there they have rumored to be taking the radios out. They are now operating on https://www.eschat.com/index.php Push to talk phones

OceanNora

#3 Post by OceanNora » 08 Aug 2019 13:23

I heard Children's on the Comtronics UHF as of about 3-4 weeks ago, while I was trying to ID other users on that system.
Speaking of ambulance companies that legitimately appeared to have vanished, I was monitoring TG272 on the ICE MotoTrbo system which I had almost 100% ID'd as Eastern Ambulance, but as of earlier this year the TG went dark. Their website no longer exists, so it appears that they actually went out of business. As I'm writing this I just looked at the Wiki and don't even see an entry for them anymore so I guess I'm late with that news.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#4 Post by garys » 08 Aug 2019 15:51

That makes sense. At least to them.
disp617 wrote:
08 Aug 2019 13:02
garys wrote:
08 Aug 2019 12:28

From a friend that works there they have rumored to be taking the radios out. They are now operating on https://www.eschat.com/index.php Push to talk phones
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#5 Post by garys » 08 Aug 2019 15:58

I haven't had a hit for Childrens since March.

My last hit (according to DSD+) for Eastern was July of last year. Eastern was always a small company. They tried, but I think failed, to add ALS at one point. They did a lot of transfers in to Tufts, but were mostly a north shore company. I worked with the founder way back in the early 1990s before he left. For a while, he was one of the voices of NOAA weather radio, but lost that when they automated the voice. Which is when he started Eastern as a chair car service. He then added an ambulance and eventually had five or six ambulances. He was bought out at least 20 years ago.

I think the only time I got them on DSD+ was on the rare occasion when I could receive the Medford tower, although they probably hit Quincy from time to time.

I forgot to mention in my OP that Community Ambulance was bought at the same time as Vital. I was still receiving them on their UHF repeater as of a few weeks ago.
OceanNora wrote:
08 Aug 2019 13:23
I heard Children's on the Comtronics UHF as of about 3-4 weeks ago, while I was trying to ID other users on that system.
Speaking of ambulance companies that legitimately appeared to have vanished, I was monitoring TG272 on the ICE MotoTrbo system which I had almost 100% ID'd as Eastern Ambulance, but as of earlier this year the TG went dark. Their website no longer exists, so it appears that they actually went out of business. As I'm writing this I just looked at the Wiki and don't even see an entry for them anymore so I guess I'm late with that news.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#6 Post by garys » 09 Aug 2019 08:25

Children's is still on Comtronics UHF as of this morning.

jeffkett
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#7 Post by jeffkett » 09 Aug 2019 17:42

In a round about way this ties into the topic. I have not heard Cape Cod Ambulance on their Industrial Communications 900 DMR system down here on the Cape. I thought very unusual to hear not a peep. I got the chance to drive to the Headquarters in Yarmouth and the building is completely empty. All the vehicles gone. ( they usually had a good 10-12 vehicles there always). Went over to talk to the business across the street and he said as far as he knew the business got sold. I'm pretty good on the coming and goings of the businesses down here as it relates to telephone service , but this one was completely silent. All I can figure is that they were absorbed by Coastal Medical Transportation Services also of Yarmouth . They use the RDC Communications UHF NXDN system. Another visitor to the Cape as of late is Access Ambulance Service out of RI and MA. Can anyone confirm the demise of Cape Cod Ambulance? Jeff

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

#8 Post by ecps92 » 09 Aug 2019 20:26

Cape Cod was bought out a few years ago by Falck, atlho they originally were keeping the name etc, wonder if something changed
as Cape Cod is not even on the Falck Web site

https://us.falck.com/en/us_emergency/partners/
jeffkett wrote:
09 Aug 2019 17:42
In a round about way this ties into the topic. I have not heard Cape Cod Ambulance on their Industrial Communications 900 DMR system down here on the Cape. I thought very unusual to hear not a peep. I got the chance to drive to the Headquarters in Yarmouth and the building is completely empty. All the vehicles gone. ( they usually had a good 10-12 vehicles there always). Went over to talk to the business across the street and he said as far as he knew the business got sold. I'm pretty good on the coming and goings of the businesses down here as it relates to telephone service , but this one was completely silent. All I can figure is that they were absorbed by Coastal Medical Transportation Services also of Yarmouth . They use the RDC Communications UHF NXDN system. Another visitor to the Cape as of late is Access Ambulance Service out of RI and MA. Can anyone confirm the demise of Cape Cod Ambulance? Jeff
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#9 Post by garys » 09 Aug 2019 21:47

I think Falck divested themselves of American Ambulance and maybe Cape Cod. I forget what happened with American, but I know that they closed their MA operations and are now mostly up in south ME. They don't seem to be on the ICE system at all, and are on VHF up in ME. They might have a contract or two in NH as well.

The American Ambulance Mass. page is no longer on the American site. They just show their properties in FL. There is a long story which I won't bore you with of why American bought a service in Boston.

I had Cape Cod (I think) on ICE with Talk Group 103 for ambulances. I think 104 was Chair Cars. My last hit on DSD was 7/15/2019. I'm going to try to listen on Kingston or Marshfield since they are more likely to appear there rather than on Quincy or one of the sites up this way. There were no hits when I did a search for Cape Cod Ambulance, so I don't know what's up with them.

OceanNora

#10 Post by OceanNora » 12 Aug 2019 22:42

Speaking of southern MA ambulance services, has anyone gotten any hits on either of the Alert Ambulance Talkgroups on ICE? I can't remember the last time I saw them pop up. It might just be that they don't go into Boston as much as it used to, given that I only receive Sites 2, 4, 22, and 23 regularly.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#11 Post by garys » 13 Aug 2019 07:47

I get them all the time on Quincy, Foxboro, Waltham. If I listen to Site 28 (Freetown) I even get the TG they use for western MA. You should get them on all of the sites you list as well, although Site 4 less often a bit.

Looking at the DSDPlus.groups file the last hits I have were before the weekend. That's just because I've been listening to UHF trunks on that computer and haven't had an ICE site programmed in for a few days.

Access Ambulance has grown quite a bit in the area, and become busier as well. I still haven't figured out if Med Tech (essentially the same company) uses the same TG, a different TG, or a different radio system.
OceanNora wrote:
12 Aug 2019 22:42
Speaking of southern MA ambulance services, has anyone gotten any hits on either of the Alert Ambulance Talkgroups on ICE? I can't remember the last time I saw them pop up. It might just be that they don't go into Boston as much as it used to, given that I only receive Sites 2, 4, 22, and 23 regularly.

disp617

#12 Post by disp617 » 13 Aug 2019 13:19

garys wrote:
13 Aug 2019 07:47
I get them all the time on Quincy, Foxboro, Waltham. If I listen to Site 28 (Freetown) I even get the TG they use for western MA. You should get them on all of the sites you list as well, although Site 4 less often a bit.

Looking at the DSDPlus.groups file the last hits I have were before the weekend. That's just because I've been listening to UHF trunks on that computer and haven't had an ICE site programmed in for a few days.

Access Ambulance has grown quite a bit in the area, and become busier as well. I still haven't figured out if Med Tech (essentially the same company) uses the same TG, a different TG, or a different radio system.
OceanNora wrote:
12 Aug 2019 22:42
Medtech is not on the Access channel last I knew.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#13 Post by garys » 13 Aug 2019 15:31

I wonder if they migrated to the ICE MotoTrbo system? They were on the old analog one. I don't get down to RI enough to find a tower to listen to. The closest to me is Woonsocket, but I have to be down near Bellingham to hear it.

disp617 wrote:
13 Aug 2019 13:19

Medtech is not on the Access channel last I knew.

Citywide 173

#14 Post by Citywide 173 » 14 Aug 2019 08:38

Just a bit on Eastern. They made the decision to shut down in the Spring of 2018. The last day of operation was July 13, 2018. Costs and reimbursement rates were a big part of the decision. Unlike many other ambulance services that have stopped their operation, it was planned, the regular patients were assisted in arranging transport with other companies, all employees were given a decent severance and letters of recommendation were provided to any employee that wanted one.

I was lucky enough to get a few MCS2000 UHF radios from the owner, which will be set up to provide a more realistic training experience for our recruits inside the ambulance simulator. I'm in the process of licensing a UHF itinerant frequency, and once done, the radio will be installed.
Ed Burke
Administrator-Firepics Online Groups
KD1EMS WQRD823

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#15 Post by garys » 07 Sep 2019 15:44

Speaking of vanishing ambulance services, Lyons was bought by Cataldo a few years back. While Cataldo has retained some of the 9-1-1 contracts Lyons had, some town have moved on to other companies.

Looking at the Essex County EMS page in the Wiki, I see that Lyons is still listed for many. I've started to update a few of the listings but could use some input. So far, by using a combination of news articles, FD websites, and company websites I've been able to correct a few.

If anyone can provide information, I can update the Essex County EMS page.

Thanks.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#16 Post by garys » 26 Oct 2019 20:34

On the same topic, has anyone heard anything on any of the Action Ambulance channels? I've picked up traffic on their UHF channel for western MA on a few trips out that way, but nothing for the frequencies listed here in the Wiki.

I wonder if they've moved to one of those Nextel like PTT services?

OceanNora

#17 Post by OceanNora » 31 Oct 2019 11:08

I hear traffic on 471.9375 on occasion, I haven't checked the RSSI but it usually comes in fairly scratchy despite the fact that they have 911 contracts in the area,

deacon

#18 Post by deacon » 31 Oct 2019 11:28

I wonder if the Zello app. is being used by any public service and/or ambulance service??? I use it for family comms, works really well. Digital, encrypted and great coverage.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

#19 Post by garys » 31 Oct 2019 14:20

Something like that is possible. I think Vital Ambulance has gone to a similar service.

deacon wrote:
31 Oct 2019 11:28
I wonder if the Zello app. is being used by any public service and/or ambulance service??? I use it for family comms, works really well. Digital, encrypted and great coverage.