MSP SmartZone radio IDs

This forum is for the discussion of the scanning and monitoring of Massachusetts statewide agencies.
n1zyy

MSP SmartZone radio IDs

Post by n1zyy »

I started paying attention to the radio/unit IDs shown on the SmartZone trunk. Is there still any rhyme or reason to them?

I've seen a few contradictory lists and posts. Some seem to have suggested that XXXXX to XXXXXX are mobile radios, with the last 4 digits being the cruiser number, and that the 4xxxx IDs are portables, with the last four being the trooper's badge (?) number.

None of that seems to work out, though. For example, A-2 just called "1292," which showed unit ID XXXXX when they keyed up. Someone FOIA'd a list of troopers and their "MSPID" a few years ago and put it online, and I spot checked some of the IDs there and there's also no correlation. Neither 1292 nor 1936 show up. (I don't think cruiser number maps to badge number, though, does it?)

There's also https:// Massachusetts_State_Police_Unit_IDs_Page_1 which doesn't seem to line up with what I'm hearing at all.It suggests A-2 is XXXXX; I'm hearing them with ID XXXXX.

Has numbering become a free-for-all, or is there a system I just don't understand? I thought it might be handy to program up some ID aliases, but it seems like maybe they're somewhat arbitrarily assigned now.
Matt, N1ZYY ★ Lowell, MA

Lynskey 85

Re: MSP SmartZone radio IDs

Post by Lynskey 85 »

To my knowledge, it is done as a "next available" and is then translated via an alias to the Troop HQ Consoles. The ID stays with the radios for the life of the radio and the Alias database is updated as needed. I can tell you that my agency has 3 active radios on the system and 1 old radio that is decommissioned and the IDs are not in any type of pattern of the use of the radios we have. We also have the ability to see IDs that show up on the channels we monitor on the system and I have not seen anything that would indicate that the IDs are in any way tied to the Cruiser # or the Personnel ID#.

Not sure if that has changed since past days or if it has always been like that. But with a core based console system that would operate off a central alias database, it is likely not important to them to have a radio ID number scheme. I disagree on the local end anyway and for the agencies I am responsible for the radios for, every ID programmed in a radio is done so with a logic in mind so that whether an alias is matched to it or not, it can be identified who it is.
Greg Lynskey
W2GEL
Communications Center Director - South Worcester County Communications Center

Firefox10

Post by Firefox10 »

Same here. Years ago the ID of the officer and an ID of the vehicle would be the "identifier". With the new consoles and controllers, they translated the ID's to a name on the consoles. It all depended what I programmed in the control PC of the the system. For example, 1306 could be seen on the consoles as Off. Jones, when he retired he gave his portable to new Officer Smith, all I did was change the ID name on the portable. Same as the patrols cars.

Hopes this makes sense.

n1zyy

Post by n1zyy »

Thanks, both of you! Good to confirm that I wasn't crazy.

I've at least aliased the troop stations, if only because I'm still getting used to remembering which are based where. Seeing "H3 Foxboro" comes up helps me a lot. Guess there's not a lot of reason to try to alias all the cruisers anyway.
Matt, N1ZYY ★ Lowell, MA

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Originally [years ago]
XXXXX-XXXXX was MSP Portables assigned by Trooper ID
XXXXX-XXXXX was MSP Mobiles assigned by Cruiser ID
XXXXX-XXXXX was ASTRO Portables

There have been errors over the years [typos]

Keep in mind while listening, an Officer may be in a SPARE cruiser while his/her primary cruiser is in for service

Also as Base Stations get swapped out, radio ID's for the Desk at each Barracks does change, not a one-for-one replacement and keeping up with the
RID for Desks and Consoles is a long journey from the hobby perspective.

And No Cruiser # and Badge # are two different worlds - no correlation except in a database somehwere [Radio Shop and/or Fleet]

**Note** my above comments apply only to the MSP [French Electric Blue] Radios, and not those of any of the other agencies using or allowed on, etc the radio system.
And there was not correlation from years of monitoring with Trunker the Desk/Base station radios, those may have been issued in next available order, however 55xxxx and above was the series

Finnaly note/comment/thought, with the radio # scheme being so old, many Portable Radio ID's have been retired, by retirement of the officers, maybe there is/was a need to re-use them
or again, just a fat finger in programming the RID
n1zyy wrote:
16 Jan 2021 19:28
I started paying attention to the radio/unit IDs shown on the SmartZone trunk. Is there still any rhyme or reason to them?

I've seen a few contradictory lists and posts. Some seem to have suggested that XXXXX to XXXXX are mobile radios, with the last 4 digits being the cruiser number, and that the 4xxxx IDs are portables, with the last four being the trooper's badge (?) number.

None of that seems to work out, though. For example, A-2 just called "1292," which showed unit ID XXXXX when they keyed up. Someone FOIA'd a list of troopers and their "MSPID" a few years ago and put it online, and I spot checked some of the IDs there and there's also no correlation. Neither 1292 nor 1936 show up. (I don't think cruiser number maps to badge number, though, does it?)

There's also https:// /Massachusetts_State_Police_Unit_IDs_Page_1 which doesn't seem to line up with what I'm hearing at all.It suggests A-2 is XXXXX; I'm hearing them with ID XXXXX.

Has numbering become a free-for-all, or is there a system I just don't understand? I thought it might be handy to program up some ID aliases, but it seems like maybe they're somewhat arbitrarily assigned now.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Firefox10

Post by Firefox10 »

You mentioned astro's. How many troopers or which units used Astro Sabers?

ScanBoston
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Post by ScanBoston »

None that I have ever seen. Astro=P25 in the Motorola world. MSP units with digital radios would be XTS's Maybe APX here and there.

garys
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

The digital trunk came way after the Astro disappeared from service. Bill can tell us how long the MSP held on to their STX portables.
Firefox10 wrote:
17 Jan 2021 19:10
You mentioned astro's. How many troopers or which units used Astro Sabers?
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

n1zyy

Post by n1zyy »

ScanBoston wrote:
17 Jan 2021 20:19
None that I have ever seen. Astro=P25 in the Motorola world. MSP units with digital radios would be XTS's Maybe APX here and there.
This. Motorola still uses the ASTRO branding, just not directly in the radio names. My XTS radios are programmed with "ASTRO 25 Portable CPS."

Are troopers still carrying MTS2000s?

And do they use some sort of vehicular repeater, or do their portable have a way better receiver than my scanner? :t
Matt, N1ZYY ★ Lowell, MA

Firefox10

Post by Firefox10 »

oh okay. I thought astro meant saber astro.
All troopers are moving to APX 6000. I heard the new recruits were issued them and the top brass at HQ. Some plaincloths got APX 7000's so they can comm with local depts using UHF. They are trying to move fast due to troopers going into P2 areas in western part of state. There are a few 8000's for specialized units needing MSP, UHF (1+2), VHF. You can imagine who needed those.

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

Firefox10 wrote:
17 Jan 2021 21:36
oh okay. I thought astro meant saber astro.
All troopers are moving to APX 6000. I heard the new recruits were issued them and the top brass at HQ. Some plaincloths got APX 7000's so they can comm with local depts using UHF. They are trying to move fast due to troopers going into P2 areas in western part of state. There are a few 8000's for specialized units needing MSP, UHF (1+2), VHF. You can imagine who needed those.
One of the radio techs I know out in Western Mass had a 7000. (It was my first time actually seeing one in person).
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

ahhhh, the ole STX's the 800 TRS equivelent of the MX3xx series Bricks [for those who remember the original BAPERN Radios]

Started out with them on the MDC System and Massport, then they were used by the MSP during the build out of 0D14
And only saw a few ASTRO's and those were Radio Shop personnel and STOP Team [in those days 87-97 ish]

Historical question - who can tell us the SysID for Each of the original MSP Zones, BESIDES 0D14 :)
Now to find my old notes, to answer this
garys wrote:
17 Jan 2021 20:47
The digital trunk came way after the Astro disappeared from service. Bill can tell us how long the MSP held on to their STX portables.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

I would hope no one has an MTS anymore, with the need to use P25 if you ended up out west or work a detail for/at Massport
n1zyy wrote:
17 Jan 2021 21:15
This. Motorola still uses the ASTRO branding, just not directly in the radio names. My XTS radios are programmed with "ASTRO 25 Portable CPS."

Are troopers still carrying MTS2000s?

And do they use some sort of vehicular repeater, or do their portable have a way better receiver than my scanner? :t
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

Firefox10

Post by Firefox10 »

The troopers assigned to the gaming commission got 7000's. Need it for 800 in A+H for Encore and Suffolk Downs. Also got P2 for Springfield and Plainridge out west for P2. Also have UHF to use direct at gaming sites and a zone of UHF and 800 simplex to talk around at sites. Also have 2 zones for local PD's in gaming site areas.

Fits their needs
Nice buy bulky

Plans to go to 8000s (these guys got pull). They still have 2000's
Last edited by W1KNE on 18 Jan 2021 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Information redacted by admin

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

Alright folks. It is mentioned in the terms of service, discussions which indicate "Radio Information" and personal information, such as radio IDs aren't to be discussed here.
It's been obscure enough that I had left it open, but now we're veering in a direction that crosses that line. So I am ending the discussion here.

We live in a time, especially, where our law enforcement are already under a major threat, without additional information being posted that could further hinder their safety.

So with that all said, this thread is no longer open for discussion.

Thanks,
-- Mike
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

And since there were no bites on the historical question
The answers are:

0D14 = A/H
400A = B
3F0A = C
6214 = D on da Cape
5117 = D on da Mainland

All before migrating into one big 0D14

Stay/Keep Safe
ecps92 wrote:
18 Jan 2021 10:04
ahhhh, the ole STX's the 800 TRS equivelent of the MX3xx series Bricks [for those who remember the original BAPERN Radios]

Started out with them on the MDC System and Massport, then they were used by the MSP during the build out of 0D14
And only saw a few ASTRO's and those were Radio Shop personnel and STOP Team [in those days 87-97 ish]

Historical question - who can tell us the SysID for Each of the original MSP Zones, BESIDES 0D14 :)
Now to find my old notes, to answer this
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies