UHF MilAir Freqs used in RI available?

Scanning information and discussion for the state of Rhode Island.
riskan20

UHF MilAir Freqs used in RI available?

Post by riskan20 »

Looking for some Mil Air UHF (am) freqs. I live near airport, and there is military traffic, especially at Quonset, and sometimes at Greene. But can't find anything specific.

cdgordon
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Re: UHF MilAir Freqs used in RI available?

Post by cdgordon »

A good starting point is to use AirNav and look up the airport
https://www.airnav.com/airport/KOQU
Look under Communications section for the UHF channels. You would still need to track down what they use for air to air etc.

chris

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Have you tried the Wiki ?
https://scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?titl ... l_Military

Plenty listed, but few member submissions of confirmations over the years
riskan20 wrote:
14 May 2020 13:48
Looking for some Mil Air UHF (am) freqs. I live near airport, and there is military traffic, especially at Quonset, and sometimes at Greene. But can't find anything specific.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

riskan20

Post by riskan20 »

The "RI Air National Guard - Quonset State Airport" section of vhf frequencies is mostly very old. I used to listen to a handful of them way back in the early 90's when I worked for Port Authority at Quonset Point. I remember just a few years after I left that job, most of those frequencies became silent. Also I had a good radio friend who was a guard for the Dept of Defense at Davisville. He had a better handle on what was going on with all the radio systems there. He knew the people running the radios and he was always monitoring all the time anyway. While he was at work AND at home. So we both came to the conclusion that pretty much most of all those frequencies are no longer used.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Info is only as good as what has been shared.

Most of the on-site is VHF FM/P25, the UHF is AM and is heard from time-time, but not reported as often.

What do you think is not used ? Be specific Pklease
riskan20 wrote:
17 May 2020 13:53
The "RI Air National Guard - Quonset State Airport" section of vhf frequencies is mostly very old. I used to listen to a handful of them way back in the early 90's when I worked for Port Authority at Quonset Point. I remember just a few years after I left that job, most of those frequencies became silent. Also I had a good radio friend who was a guard for the Dept of Defense at Davisville. He had a better handle on what was going on with all the radio systems there. He knew the people running the radios and he was always monitoring all the time anyway. While he was at work AND at home. So we both came to the conclusion that pretty much most of all those frequencies are no longer used.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

riskan20

Post by riskan20 »

The freqs in the list attached. Not the AIR FREQS Just the VHF-high freqs. Back in the early 90's I worked right at Quonset and used to monitor all these freqs along with some other local ones. Only a handful of these were being used then. The security post at the main gate at the ANG base changed frequencies a couple of times. Plus I lived right across the street from the base and had many scanners always monitoring. Mostly vhf stuff. Back then it was all conventional FM nothing digital. Who knows what they use now, there is no mention of anything current in the Rhode Island list of mil freqs at Quonset other than this old list. Maybe some of these are still in use but I havent heard a thing in a long time. Maybe I will take my BCD996P2 mobile and park over there for a few hours and see if anything is heard.
https://ibb.co/Lp4HD9R

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Thanks, they could be, or they might just be used for events.
Sadly my last trip down there was a long ago air show, likely just nothing reported.

Also tough getting folks to SEARCH and Report/Share - anything found is appreciated
riskan20 wrote:
17 May 2020 17:11
The freqs in the list attached. Not the AIR FREQS Just the VHF-high freqs. Back in the early 90's I worked right at Quonset and used to monitor all these freqs along with some other local ones. Only a handful of these were being used then. The security post at the main gate at the ANG base changed frequencies a couple of times. Plus I lived right across the street from the base and had many scanners always monitoring. Mostly vhf stuff. Back then it was all conventional FM nothing digital. Who knows what they use now, there is no mention of anything current in the Rhode Island list of mil freqs at Quonset other than this old list. Maybe some of these are still in use but I havent heard a thing in a long time. Maybe I will take my BCD996P2 mobile and park over there for a few hours and see if anything is heard.
https://ibb.co/Lp4HD9R
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

riskan20

Post by riskan20 »

ecps92 wrote:
17 May 2020 18:10
Thanks, they could be, or they might just be used for events.
Sadly my last trip down there was a long ago air show, likely just nothing reported.

Also tough getting folks to SEARCH and Report/Share - anything found is appreciated
Too bad the internet and scan-ne wasn't around in 1987!!!! I used to monitor lots of stuff from Quonset. I moved to a house right on the fringe of the base in late 1986. I was into scanning and CB radio at the time. I quickly realized what a great radio spot I had....very close to the bay. My Dad worked part time weekends for the Port Authority as roving patrol. I started thinking if I could get one of the patrol jobs part time, I'd be right in the middle of all the scanner action. Back in those days Quonset had many military outfits, commercial businesses were slowly staring to trickle in. Then you had a lot of marine and airport activity. So it was a gold mine for people like me. So I asked my Dad if there were any openings and he told me to go over to building 7 and talk to Captain Adams. So one day after work I went over there and got ahold of the cap'n and we sat and talked. Apparently my supervisor at my regular job was his Cousin, so he said he'd check out my references etc and he would consider hiring me but at the time I had full beard, which I had to shave off. So I got a call a few days later, he told me to go to the city to their main office and get some paperwork signed and I was hired! So I reported to work on a Saturday morning in December 1986. My shift was 4 to midnight weekends. Perfect!
So I used to take my scanner with me and mag mount antenna, and I think most of the patrol guys did too. When I got my amateur radio license I used to take my 2 meter and a 10 meter HF rig with me every weekend. So this was a job from heaven. All I had to do is drive around and do 3 key winds with this old heavy time clock. I was allowed to go off base to McDonalds and to gas up patrol car. I also became friends with one of the Dept of Defence security guards who worked there. He was a radio enthusiast as well and had a lot of information and connections to all the communications. So we used to hang out sometimes and I had a big list of frequencies being used at that time at Quonset. The frequencies I posted were in the process of being used less and less. By the early 90's pretty much only the gate security guards were all you could hear. And the public works dept of the Port Authority. Sometimes the harbourmaster. Electric Boat had a few channels that were active. Not to mention all the other stuff across the bay like the Newport Navy base. Back then all the vhf freqs were very active. So I worked there up till about 1992. The state had purchased most of the land and a looming industrial park was on the horizon. All the old building were torn down. I went over there a few years ago and got lost and didnt recognize the place. All new roads. Now I know how those servicemen felt when they were veterans of other wars and had come back to visit the base. Sorry for rambling but I started to remember this stuff as I was typing!