Push to RISCON

Scanning information and discussion for the state of Rhode Island.
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Push to RISCON

Post by W1KNE »

Over the next several months, Verizon is slowly retiring copper line service in many parts of Rhode Island (if not Statewide, I only know of large chunks). With the retirement of copper, expect to see more and more departments opt to move onto RISCON off of their conventional radio systems vs paying for "fiber upgrades". If you live within the signal range, you're always good to run in "ID Search" mode to see who you may discover is new on the system.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me.

IggyWFD

Re: Push to RISCON

Post by IggyWFD »

It seems that Johnston has now moved to use the RISCON system for their comms.... I caught them on TG's 1616 FD Disp, and 1617 for their FD FG
John
BC IV, BC H/L, BC210, BC100, BC350A, BC100XLT, 996XT, 396t, 436, HP1, SDS100

PFD1993

Post by PFD1993 »

It seems Johnston FD is STAYING on RISCON judging from a notification I recently read.

1616 Johnston FD Dispatch
1617 Johnston Fireground

Happy monitoring !!
:cool:
Gil
Warwick, RI

astro

Post by astro »

As an FYI - a lot of agencies are jumping to FIOS based T1's. They are $189 a month with no inter-facility fees - which is kind of incredible considering some people could be paying big bucks if their circuits jump through multiple facilities. Verizon is pushing the TC Communications T1 MUX's to replace their 2 or 4 wire handoff's that most are used to. This also gets them 4 circuits where they had one - so for a lot of agencies while it costs $$ for the TC box it could mean a savings to reoccurring costs. I doubt this will be the cause of people to jump on to a system. In MA a lot of agencies have gone this route and don't seem to have issues where they have a good integrator.

PFD1993

Post by PFD1993 »

A lot of agencies in RI are moving to RISCON and leaving their old VHF/UHF systems in service as stand-alone (no remote RX) repeaters for back-up. Thus saving the monthly fiber cost. Not to mention, the agencies that have come up or are looking to come up on RISCON that have done NOTHING to their current VHF or UHF system. No preventative maintenance, no equipment upgrades for years, nothing........Add the equipment replacement/upgrade cost to the cost of switching to fiber and it becomes cost prohibitive to stay on their current local systems, hence the move to RISCON.
:D
Gil
Warwick, RI