National Guard & Newport Navy base

Scanning information and discussion for the state of Rhode Island.
riskan20

National Guard & Newport Navy base

Post by riskan20 »

2 questions here. With the National Guard out working in the virus testing sites are there possible frequencies they may be using for communications? The Guard is right up the road from me at CCRI college doing testing so if they are using radios I will be able to hear them. Plus that college is located on a huge hill.
The next question is does anyone have info on the P25 system the Newport Naval base uses? I programmed that system just for the heck of it and I am hearing traffic. The signal is very low, 1 or 2 bars but reception is usually pretty good. And I am using an 800mhz mag mount antenna outside my window. The frequencies they use are 380 MHz. I noticed the dispatchers dont sound like they are from around here and some of the street names they give for dispatching a rescue dont match up with any street names at the Newport base. I read somewhere that I could be hearing transmissions from other places???

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Re: National Guard & Newport Navy base

Post by ecps92 »

RI-NG has a Low Band Repeater, and likely also has ENC TGs on RISCON
but try these as well
https://www.scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php? ... l_Military

https://www.scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php? ... unk_System
As to Newport - yes the Dispatchers are down the coast [outside of New England]
If you only want to hear RI only put in the Newport TG's, some of the other TG's are likely
a. affiliated/enabled from a near-by base
b. for some reason [SOP] turned on for all bases
c. Dispatch is keying up all TG's so the other bases know they are tied up ?
d. Lots of guessing/assumptions
riskan20 wrote:
02 Apr 2020 08:50
2 questions here. With the National Guard out working in the virus testing sites are there possible frequencies they may be using for communications? The Guard is right up the road from me at CCRI college doing testing so if they are using radios I will be able to hear them. Plus that college is located on a huge hill.
The next question is does anyone have info on the P25 system the Newport Naval base uses? I programmed that system just for the heck of it and I am hearing traffic. The signal is very low, 1 or 2 bars but reception is usually pretty good. And I am using an 800mhz mag mount antenna outside my window. The frequencies they use are 380 MHz. I noticed the dispatchers dont sound like they are from around here and some of the street names they give for dispatching a rescue dont match up with any street names at the Newport base. I read somewhere that I could be hearing transmissions from other places???
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

riskan20

Post by riskan20 »

OK Thank you. I found there are 2 lowband for (National Guard) repeaters so I programmed them in and maybe I will hear something. I thought I was hearing out of state comms from the navy. I just left the scan mode in "search" cause there is a bit of action going on. As far as the old VHF frequencies that the Newport & Quonset bases used to use, most if not all are inactive. I used to live right next to Quonset for a couple of years. I worked part time for the Port Authority. This was in 1987-88. And my main job was right outside the north gate of Quonset. So I was inundated with radio comms. Back then most of those frequencies on vhf were active. I was a roving fire patrol at Quonset and I worked weekends. I used to take scanner and mag mount with me so I was able to hear a ton of cool stuff. 10 meters was hoppin' so I would also take my ham radio and whip antenna. The patrol truck had holes in the top of bed sides that were the perfect size to mount a spring and 102" CB whip. I cut the whip to operate 10 meters. I guess at one point that pickup truck had a cap and those holes were for securing the cap. Luckily boss didnt care that I had radios. I told him that I could keep tabs on everything going on around me. Especially when there was a fire in our building once and a ship illegally trying to dock at Electric Boats pier!

IggyWFD

Post by IggyWFD »

Its been a few weeks into this pandemic, anyone find or hear any tx's regarding this issue? I have not heard anything on Nat Guard or or RISCON.
John
BC IV, BC H/L, BC210, BC100, BC350A, BC100XLT, 996XT, 396t, 436, HP1