AAA Northeast

Scanning information and discussion for the state of Rhode Island.
IggyWFD

AAA Northeast

Post by IggyWFD »

Has AAA gone silent? I am not picking them up on the ICE DMR or the old conventional freqs?
John
BC IV, BC H/L, BC210, BC100, BC350A, BC100XLT, 996XT, 396t, 436, HP1

disp617

Re: AAA Northeast

Post by disp617 »

IggyWFD wrote:
16 Apr 2020 09:50
Has AAA gone silent? I am not picking them up on the ICE DMR or the old conventional freqs?
Have you tried the Johnston site? I know all traffic on channels from Providence dispatch goes thru that site. I'm sure these days their calls for service are probably down but there should be some radio transmissions.

They do dispatch by tablet too. I wonder if they have fully transitioned over to that.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

I've noticed that AAA radio traffic has been way off over the past week or so. Their contract companies are still active on their company channels, but the TGs we have tagged for AAA, especially 28 are really slow.

Maybe they have transitioned to tablets for dispatch, maybe via cell data.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by ScanBoston »

it may just be the light traffic involved with the pandemic. One of my friends who has worked for Perfection for over 20 years was laid off with many of his coworkers. My guess is this is happening with my of the tow companies and probably affects roadside assistance as well.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

Less traffic means fewer breakdowns and of course fewer MVCs, so this makes sense.

I know a guy who drives a tow truck and I've sent him a message asking how much business is off.
ScanBoston wrote:
16 Apr 2020 13:56
it may just be the light traffic involved with the pandemic. One of my friends who has worked for Perfection for over 20 years was laid off with many of his coworkers. My guess is this is happening with my of the tow companies and probably affects roadside assistance as well.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

From my friend,

AAA business is way down. Less traffic, fewer service calls. They've laid off dispatchers and drivers as well as travel office staff.

Police are stopping fewer cars, there are fewer accidents, so everyone's business is down. Since plate expirations and inspections have been pushed back, there are fewer cars being towed for unregistered/uninsured.

I've been sitting on ICE Site 32 most of the day. Perfection tow has been active, but not as much as usual. MedFlight has actually been more active on that talk group than any of the tow companies.

IggyWFD

Post by IggyWFD »

Thanks All...I appreciate the feedback
John

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Might be worth checking the VHF channel they used to communicate with the "Contractors"
IggyWFD wrote:
16 Apr 2020 20:16
Thanks All...I appreciate the feedback
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

riskan20

Post by riskan20 »

garys wrote:
16 Apr 2020 19:04
From my friend,

AAA business is way down. Less traffic, fewer service calls. They've laid off dispatchers and drivers as well as travel office staff.

Police are stopping fewer cars, there are fewer accidents, so everyone's business is down. Since plate expirations and inspections have been pushed back, there are fewer cars being towed for unregistered/uninsured.

I've been sitting on ICE Site 32 most of the day. Perfection tow has been active, but not as much as usual. MedFlight has actually been more active on that talk group than any of the tow companies.
What is the "ICE" site? I was always listening to AAA on it's VHF frequency for a long time but silent now. Is "ICE" one of those new upgrade modes you can get for your radios? I have both Uniden bct15x and bcd996p2. Last time I checked there wasn't much local (RI) activity of agencies using those new modes. If someone could clarify this please.

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

Industrial Communications and Electronics. They operate a wide area 900 Mhz DMR network. There is a lot of AAA (or was) traffic on the system.

https://scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?titl ... Talkgroups
riskan20 wrote:
17 Apr 2020 10:19
What is the "ICE" site? I was always listening to AAA on it's VHF frequency for a long time but silent now. Is "ICE" one of those new upgrade modes you can get for your radios? I have both Uniden bct15x and bcd996p2. Last time I checked there wasn't much local (RI) activity of agencies using those new modes. If someone could clarify this please.

IggyWFD

Post by IggyWFD »

Thanks Gary, I double checked the ICE DMR freq & LCN's along with the TG's. I did put the system into the search mode and are getting other TG chatter but nothing off AAA, even their conventional freq's seem quiet...I am hoping that its because of slow business
John

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Herb's Towing out of Warwick, 150.9500 PL 210.7 is active
ecps92 wrote:
17 Apr 2020 09:34
Might be worth checking the VHF channel they used to communicate with the "Contractors"
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

We'll know in a few weeks to a month as some areas start to open up.
IggyWFD wrote:
17 Apr 2020 14:46
Thanks Gary, I double checked the ICE DMR freq & LCN's along with the TG's. I did put the system into the search mode and are getting other TG chatter but nothing off AAA, even their conventional freq's seem quiet...I am hoping that its because of slow business

OceanNora

Post by OceanNora »

I left the scanner on all of the AAA TGs for a few hours and heard absolutely nothing, to me that seems like more than just it being quiet. I do remember about 2 or 3 weeks ago listening to them and hearing that the dispatchers were working from home. I might be wrong but it almost sounded as if the dispatchers were just sending calls to the drivers' tablets and the radios were being used for driver to driver communications. I heard a lot of confusion on what numbers to call and things like that.

MaineRadioMan

Post by MaineRadioMan »

AAA is working fine here in Maine on Mainstream NXDN system here...
2-BCD536HP
2-BCD996P2
2-BCT15XT

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Totally different AAA

Here in New England, we have:

AAA Northeast - Eastern MA/RI, Eastern CT
AAA Northern New England - ME, NH and VT
AAA Pioneer Valley - Central/Western MA
AAA Ohio Valley - CT
MaineRadioMan wrote:
18 Apr 2020 09:14
AAA is working fine here in Maine on Mainstream NXDN system here...
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

MaineRadioMan

Post by MaineRadioMan »

ecps92 wrote:
21 Apr 2020 14:30
Totally different AAA

Here in New England, we have:

AAA Northeast - Eastern MA/RI, Eastern CT
AAA Northern New England - ME, NH and VT
AAA Pioneer Valley - Central/Western MA
AAA Ohio Valley - CT
my bad!!
2-BCD536HP
2-BCD996P2
2-BCT15XT

Captain Strobes

Post by Captain Strobes »

AAA's Southern New England UHF frequencies have been for the most part abandoned by AAA Dispatch in RI. If you had 452.5xx you could listen to AAA dispatching the calls to their contractors and fleet drivers in Massachusetts. Even before that they had a 150.9xx MHZ frequency. Its not that they don't want to talk to the tow truck drivers, but AAA in the last couple of years has been automating their system and getting rid of the dispatchers and call takers to save money. Everything now a days is down thru their CAD (computer aided dispatch) system, know as either D2000 or D3, using AVL (Automatic Vehicle Location). All of the contractors in the area use Tablets with the AVL on it to get calls dispatched to their triple delay drivers. I had heard that they were recently using a 900 MHZ trunk talk group, but that was for the fleet guys to speak with the fleet dispatch, not the contractors, who do the brunt of the work for AAA, at stupid cheap rates. This is also the reason that numerous tow companies, that used to provide service for AAA, are going out of business or stopping towing for AAA. AAA gets $80+ for a membership per year, and pays the contractors between $30-$40 a call. In eastern mass, an average tow is about $100 for the hookup plus a fee per mile, the exception is Police or Trespass ordered tows that are regulated by the Mass DPU at $108 for the hookup and $3.6 a mile after the first 5. That means that the contractors have to do 3+ calls to make what they should be getting from the getgo.
Scott

Motorola XPR7550, XPR4550, XTL2500, XTL5000, XTS1500 and XTS5000
Uniden/Bearcat SDS200 & 785D,

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

That's interesting. Going to CAD dispatch would explain not seeing any AAA related traffic on the ICE system. TG 28 used to be almost non stop, but has just died. The last hit I had on that TG was on 3/28.

Not that I listened because it's really boring, but it was good for testing my setup if I changed a setting.

Thanks for the really good information.

Captain Strobes wrote:
14 May 2020 17:33
AAA's Southern New England UHF frequencies have been for the most part abandoned by AAA Dispatch in RI. If you had 452.5xx you could listen to AAA dispatching the calls to their contractors and fleet drivers in Massachusetts. Even before that they had a 150.9xx MHZ frequency. Its not that they don't want to talk to the tow truck drivers, but AAA in the last couple of years has been automating their system and getting rid of the dispatchers and call takers to save money. Everything now a days is down thru their CAD (computer aided dispatch) system, know as either D2000 or D3, using AVL (Automatic Vehicle Location). All of the contractors in the area use Tablets with the AVL on it to get calls dispatched to their triple delay drivers. I had heard that they were recently using a 900 MHZ trunk talk group, but that was for the fleet guys to speak with the fleet dispatch, not the contractors, who do the brunt of the work for AAA, at stupid cheap rates. This is also the reason that numerous tow companies, that used to provide service for AAA, are going out of business or stopping towing for AAA. AAA gets $80+ for a membership per year, and pays the contractors between $30-$40 a call. In eastern mass, an average tow is about $100 for the hookup plus a fee per mile, the exception is Police or Trespass ordered tows that are regulated by the Mass DPU at $108 for the hookup and $3.6 a mile after the first 5. That means that the contractors have to do 3+ calls to make what they should be getting from the getgo.

OceanNora

Post by OceanNora »

That's interesting, I hear on the contractors' channels a lot of gripes about the tablets. I believe TG56 on the ICE system was tentatively ID'ed as the contractor-AAA channel. I remember hearing a lot of talk about the tablets as well on the fleet TGs. I do know after hearing a lot of traffic on the AAA SNE TGs about the dispatchers working from home and not being on the radios due to current events so I believe that might be the cause. Whether that is temporary or they decide to keep that method of dispatch permanently remains to be seen.

MASSBUSMARK
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by MASSBUSMARK »

I happened to see one of the AAA Southern New England battery replacement trucks by my workplace in downtown Lowell this afternoon. Took a walk by and saw a Motorola mobile radio inside that appeared to be powered on, also a tablet mounted inside as well.
Mark