NEAR-Fest XXVIII has been cancelled.

A forum for the discussion of all aspects of amateur radio, but with emphasis on amateur radio operation in our coverage area. HF, VHF, UHF, P25, DStar, packet, anything amateur radio related is welcome here.
ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

NEAR-Fest XXVIII has been cancelled.

Post by ScanBoston »

From NEAR-Fest’s MisterMike

Dear Club/Organization President:

You may have already know that the Deerfield Fair Association voted reluctantly but overwhelmingly to cancel the 2020 Fair at a special meeting on Tuesday, June 23rd, 2020,

Ben, KB1NZN, and I are members. We were at the meeting and voted for cancellation. We both totally agree with the decision of the Deerfield Fair Association membership who voted 105 to 5 in favor of cancelling the Fair. There was not one good reason put forth during the discussion in favor of holding the Fair this year.

Especially in these unprecedented times our first responsibility must be to the health and well-being of our volunteer staff, exhibitors, attendees, fairgrounds staff and the local area residents who graciously welcome us twice a year to their community. We cannot betray this trust.

Furthermore there is no possible way we can realistically maintain the six foot “social distancing” separation especially in the flea market, commercial buildings, forums and VE examination rooms. This is required whenever possible by the NH Governor’s Special Covid-19 Task Force.

Consequently, as a result, we have no option to cancel NEAR-Fest XXVIII.

However the good news is that NEAR-Fest XXIX is already scheduled for Friday April 30th and Saturday May 1st 2021 and NEAR-Fest XXX for October 12th and 13th 2021.

The clubs and organizations who sent in their application for early entry privileges in 2020 need not reapply. Your passes will be issued next year and valid for both 2021 hamfests.

We will be selling advance tickets starting in the Fall. For advance ticket buyers the cost of admission will remain at $10.00 per person. However starting next Spring the price of admission at the gate will be $15.00. Inside parking and camping fees will remain the same. I will send you additional information about advance ticket sales shortly.

Please disseminate this information to your members. Since it is coming from me it is official.

Michael Crestohl, aka “MisterMike”, W1RC Benevolent Dictator, New England Amateur RadIo Festival

W1MTW

Re: NEAR-Fest XXVIII has been cancelled.

Post by W1MTW »

Carroll Hazen that runs Angelino's Sausage House trailer at the hamfest told me back in May when I saw him that he had a feeling this would get cancelled. Hopefully, all will be well for the May event.
Mark, W1MTW
Windham, ME
PRO-106

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Oct 12/13 2021 are weekdays ?

Little too far ahead anyway as none of us have any idea how this virus is going to impact us over the summer/fall or winter
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

On another vein. this goes to show that Nearfest, is in fact, "optional".
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me. W1KNE at scan-ne.com.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

:beer: :pint: :beer: :pint: :beer: :pint:
W1KNE wrote:
02 Jul 2020 13:13
On another vein. this goes to show that Nearfest, is in fact, "optional".
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

W1MTW wrote:
02 Jul 2020 08:36
Carroll Hazen that runs Angelino's Sausage House trailer at the hamfest told me back in May when I saw him that he had a feeling this would get cancelled. Hopefully, all will be well for the May event.
This is the stuff that sucks the most about Covid-19...other than people dying of course. While we can soldier on and if we have the means purchase equipment over the internet, this poor guy makes a living out of carting that trailer around and selling food out of it, and his making a living has likely ground to a halt.

The snowball effect of this is sometimes very horrifying.

And yeah Mike, it now IS optional. John you'll have to retire that line! ;)
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"

W1MTW

Post by W1MTW »

Scott wrote:
02 Jul 2020 15:15
This is the stuff that sucks the most about Covid-19...other than people dying of course. While we can soldier on and if we have the means purchase equipment over the internet, this poor guy makes a living out of carting that trailer around and selling food out of it, and his making a living has likely ground to a halt.

The snowball effect of this is sometimes very horrifying.

And yeah Mike, it now IS optional. John you'll have to retire that line! ;)
Actually, Carroll has a roadside stand that he operates in Hillsborough on Henniker St., of course named Angelino's, along with his 2 trailers that he takes to these fairs, and other events in New Hampshire. He will make it, even though he's lost out on events. The XYL are planning a day trip to go down to his stand to eat. Most likely bring the dogs, since I know he misses his dog, which he had to put down just after Christmas.
Mark, W1MTW
Windham, ME
PRO-106

AJ1L
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by AJ1L »

W1MTW wrote:
02 Jul 2020 15:39
Actually, Carroll has a roadside stand that he operates in Hillsborough on Henniker St., of course named Angelino's, along with his 2 trailers that he takes to these fairs, and other events in New Hampshire. He will make it, even though he's lost out on events. The XYL are planning a day trip to go down to his stand to eat. Most likely bring the dogs, since I know he misses his dog, which he had to put down just after Christmas.
Angelino's actually wasn't at NEARFest for the first time last fall. There were rumors that there were some health issues, but I'm not completely sure.
Jeff Lehmann - AJ1L (Formerly N1ZZN) WQDJ863
Hanson, MA

W1MTW

Post by W1MTW »

AJ1L wrote:
02 Jul 2020 20:12
Angelino's actually wasn't at NEARFest for the first time last fall. There were rumors that there were some health issues, but I'm not completely sure.
Actually, it was a conflict with the Sandwich Fair. It happened last year to fall on the same weekend as Deerfield. Carroll had to do the fair, or he would lose his spot for the future.
Mark, W1MTW
Windham, ME
PRO-106