Scan New England Talkgroup on TGIF Network

A forum for the discussion of all aspects of amateur radio, but with emphasis on amateur radio operation in our coverage area. HF, VHF, UHF, P25, DStar, packet, anything amateur radio related is welcome here.
Scott
Site Administrator

Scan New England Talkgroup on TGIF Network

Post by Scott »

Hello all,

I've been approved for a Scan New England talkgroup on the TGIF DMR Network. The TG is 26480. Hopefully anyone on here that has a hotspot and can access the TGIF network will join in. Please respond here if interested. Thought it might be fun to set up a net, whether it be monthly, bi-weekly, whatever.

I'm not sure how long it takes for TGIF's talkgroup list to be updated but simply entering it as 26480 with a group call should work. I'm monitoring it now if any brave souls want to try it out.
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"
Scanner Master Customer Service Rep
n1zyy

Re: Scan New England Talkgroup on TGIF Network

Post by n1zyy »

Looks official now! https://tgif.network/tgprofile.php?id=26480

I currently have the wrong setup for this to work (VHF HT, UHF repeater), but I like the idea.
Matt, N1ZYY ★ Lowell, MA
jeffkett
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Post by jeffkett »

I believe I played the game out to register. Uploaded FCC license. I believe they need 24 hrs to process.
Will see how good I did.
Jeff N1YHZ
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

This is the TGIF Network? That's odd, I didn't get prompted to upload a license when I registered. :confused:
Scott
jeffkett
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Post by jeffkett »

Yes, if Im doing it correctly? When I went into TGIF , they said I had to
go over to RadioID.net. They approved overnight. My radio ID is now 3203588
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Ah okay, I get it now, you didn't have a DMR ID. Move along, nothing to see here, kids. Well hopefully we'll get some interest in this. Rick/N1RCW and I tested it last night and it's working fine.
Scott
cja1987

Post by cja1987 »

Thank you for doing this and great job setting this up!!!

As a long time scanner enthusiast recently turned HAM (finally) , I’m very interested! I’ve got a few DMR radios , a duplex hotspot and a DMR ID . Got the hot spot working on brandmeister for about 1 day last winter and never played w after that. Life gets in the way sometimes … TGIF has been on my mind for a while so let’s consider this the kick in the butt I needed to get that going !

I think all on SNE should get their ham tickets and I’d love to see the TG thrive and grow! Great way to “participate” as well along with all the listening we do!

I’d definitely be interested in a net as often as we reasonably could get one going as well as just general chit chat among us on the side!!! I won’t have my hot spot until next week… it’s at the NH QTH and I just got back to the MA QTH :). I’ll try to get set up and keep it in my “back and fourth” gear bag.

-KC1SGY
ScanBoston
Super Idiot

Post by ScanBoston »

I just signed up I will play with my hot spot tonight.
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Thanks for the responses thus far; hopefully they will continue. I'll be leaving the TG on when things are idle here and will answer anyone's call if/when I can. I can see on my dashboard when people check in anyway so if I don't answer I'll respond here. It's a relatively easy process once you get into the TGIF network. Different setups will have different programming methods. Right now I'm using my Hotspot to switch talkgroups; when I have time I will do some programming in my one DMR portable. I can also cross-mode in from YSF radios but need to use the hotspot to switch TG's in that case. And as I have an Openspot 4 Pro hotspot I can actually use an app to talk directly through the hotspot, although I have some mixed feelings about that approach. It is simple and logical yet it doesn't feel like "radio" if you know what I mean.

Anyway, share setups here as well as they may help people just getting on board to be successful.
Scott
ScanBoston
Super Idiot

Post by ScanBoston »

Is 26480 in TS1 or TS2?

I think I'm on?? John K1BOS
KB1FJR
Location: Central, MA now Lexington, NC (still visit MA and CT regularly

Post by KB1FJR »

This is great. Also for whatever reason TGIF is super easy to set-up on a hot spot and seems to be more reliable (as in not randomly dropping wifi etc.) on my hot spots compared to other networks.

We can all chat and talk, and blab about radio related stuff. I tell you I miss the analog, and even simple P25 mostly non encrypted public safety systems in New England.
ScanBoston
Super Idiot

Post by ScanBoston »

I'm not getting anyone and I have been on for at least an hour. I want my money back!
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Had a nice chat with John on 26480 so he got it set up correctly. Glad to see the participation thus far. If anyone needs any help getting going please post in this thread. Thanks.
Scott
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Saw an N1DQQ check into the TG this morning but missed him by a few minutes. I have a little Samsung USB monitor that I added onto one of my PC's, and I moved a browser window onto it that constantly shows activity for just the 26480 talkgroup, so even if I'm not monitoring and see something pop up I can jump over pretty quickly (as long as I'm in the shack).
Scott
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

I would like to shoot for Wednesday December 6 at 8 PM ET for a net, if anyone is interested in doing so. Also, each Thursday at 8 PM there is a net on TGIF TG 1033, which is "The Scanner/SWL Junkies" talkgroup. I'm going to try to check into that net on 11/30 and will make a notification that we're trying to get one going for the New England area as well.

Hopefully those that are set up can make it.
Scott
wltrsf

Post by wltrsf »

This gave me the incentive to get into DMR so I have an AnyTone AT-D878UVII Plus on the way from Bridgecomm.

I'm leaning toward the Openspot 4 or 4 pro, right now offered at about $200 and $300 respectively.
Bridgecomm's is $425, Zumspot is about $200. Anybody have opinions on which to go with?
Barry Sullivan N1FII
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

The Openspot 4 Pro, especially if you are going to cross mode, as the encode/decode is done by hardware instead of software. I've had good reports cross moding from YSF to DMR. It also is very easy to set up and manipulate.
Scott
wltrsf

Post by wltrsf »

Thanks, ordered the Pro, expected delivery is 2nd week of January.
Barry Sullivan N1FII
wltrsf

Post by wltrsf »

Openspot Pro just arrived today. Less than two days delivery from Estonia.
Barry Sullivan N1FII
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Nice! They are super-fast to be certain.

I checked in to the Scanner Junkies net on TGIF last Thursday evening. (TG 1033 weekly at 8PM ET). I made an announcement there that we are going to try to run a net on 26480 with next Wednesday being the start date. I did notice on the control panel of the TG that the net control station for that net dropped by. Hopefully we'll get some reasonable participation and then decide on how frequently we will run it.
Scott
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Just a reminder to all interested hams that the first SNE Net is coming up on Wednesday 12/6 at 8PM ET. I have seen some activity on there which is great. Please check in if you can and don't hesitate to use the TG for chit chat at any time. Hopefully we can have some fun with this going forward.
Scott
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Not that I haven't beaten this to a pulp but the net is on for 8PM this evening. I will be net control and having never run one in my entire life I will have little to no idea of what I'm doing but I'll fudge through it, having been on the check in end of them a few times over the years. Hope you can join us...me? TGIF Network Talkgroup 26480.
Scott
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Well we got off to a fun start, total of four of us. Thanks to John/K1BOS, Bob/WA1KXH, and Barry N1FII for partaking in the first ever Scan New England Net. We will continue with the net and I'll let you know when the next one will be. I was considering a few weeks from now (12/20) but also take into consideration the proximity to the holidays, so it may be best to run the next one after New Years Day.

In the interim, anyone that wishes to use the TG please feel free to. It was not made exclusively for the net, anyone with an amateur radio license and the means to do so should jump on for discussion. I make an attempt to directly monitor periodically and I have my TGIF Network talkgroup monitoring webpage running just about all the time so I can see any check ins. If I see you and I'm able I'll check in and say hello.

Thanks again to those who partook!
Scott
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

The next Scan New England Net will be held Wednesday January 3 at 8PM Eastern Time. Talkgroup 26480 on the TGIF Network. Hope you can make it.
Scott
N4VKF

Post by N4VKF »

Not to steal anyone's thunder. There is also a "Scanner Junkies" talkgroup on TGIF. If you would like to add this to your codeplugs. There is a net every Thursday at 8pm eastern. The talkgroup number is 1033.

Kenneth
N4VKF