125.000 mhz AM

A forum for the discussion of civilian aircraft communications as heard throughout the New England area and its adjacent waters.
Scan2k20

125.000 mhz AM

Post by Scan2k20 »

I recently got into SDR and been experimenting with RTL-SDR and SDR#
I noticed on 125.000Mhz AM a strong signal and i can't make out what it is and tried to used google but not able to find any answers .
Attached is a screen capture of the signal .
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (203.14 KiB) Viewed 563 times

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Re: 125.000 mhz AM

Post by ecps92 »

My first guess / suggestion is a local source of interference. Just like Scanners have Birdies and other interference issues.
I would begin by turning devices in the house off, by either unplugging them or work one by one thru each Circuit Break

Once that is done, you can rule out the local source[s]
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

Scan2k20

Post by Scan2k20 »

The Fridge at home is pretty old and noisy and i noticed when it does kick in i can see spikes on SDR# while i'm monitoring . I suspect it might be the culprit.
Thanks for the feedback

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Don't rule that out as your only source, move systematically room by room and/or breaker to breaker
Only by actually shutting off the power, and then for the Fridge returning power and waiting for it to kick in will confirm this.
Scan2k20 wrote:
21 Apr 2021 23:35
The Fridge at home is pretty old and noisy and i noticed when it does kick in i can see spikes on SDR# while i'm monitoring . I suspect it might be the culprit.
Thanks for the feedback
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

ecps92 wrote:
22 Apr 2021 06:30
Don't rule that out as your only source, move systematically room by room and/or breaker to breaker
I 2nd this. I had an issue with some pretty broadband noise across the FM band at my house. I was able to hear it on a portable radio, so I went to the basement, and turned off the breakers one by one.
The garage breaker stopped it. In the garage I was able to determine it was the motion lights causing it. (They were causing it due to a deteriorating neutral in the conduit, which eventually shorted out , but that's another story.)

Sometimes, however, it's "neighbor noise". Your best guess is if it isn't on every night, see which nights it's not on, and which nights the neighbor's aren't home.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me.