Aircraft Crash All Survived Leicester MA 2/2/2021

A forum for the discussion of civilian aircraft communications as heard throughout the New England area and its adjacent waters.
NIGHTHAWK01

Aircraft Crash All Survived Leicester MA 2/2/2021

Post by NIGHTHAWK01 »

Apparently a small turbo prop aircraft getting ready to approach Worcester Regional Airport (KORH) crashed in a field in Leicester. There was very good news coverage. What I found interesting is if you go on flight aware you can actually find exactly where the aircraft went down based upon its' ADS B transmissions. Wonder if anyone caught the aircraft actually talking with the tower or Bradley Approach?
Here's some references
https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/sm ... d/2292021/

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N221ST
Ken
Chicopee, MA

NIGHTHAWK01

Re: Aircraft Crash All Survived Leicester MA 2/2/2021

Post by NIGHTHAWK01 »

I went back to live.atc.net radio communications archives history (KORH, 2/2/2021, 2130-2200Z) with the tower and the pilot called in with we've got a problem here, lots of ice". Tower than calls have a low altitude alert and than do you need any additional assistance? (did not appear the tower initially knew the aircraft crashed since made numerous calls how do you hear?) If you try monitoring the audio start at 23:00 minutes, 24:50, 26:20.
Ken
Chicopee, MA

sawyer100

Post by sawyer100 »

I was going to post this story, as I listened to it unfold, live, but was in the middle of a project.

The pilot crashed, and was able to call 911 from his cell phone, which gave 911 the GPS coordinates of the crash. The second item I heard (just as the 911 call started, was Worc AP & Worc AP Fire on the Worc P25 system asking them if they had seen any crash. Then Worc 911 Dispatch Center came up on LPS-7, and that was when Leicester Dispatch stated they had the pilot on a 911 phone call reporting he crashed outside of the airport, and found the cell pinging around 505 Moose Hill Rd., Leicester. Within 5-10 minutes is when Leicester dispatch got a neighbor of 505 calling in, giving the injury report, which then went over Spencer Fire & Leicester Fire channels.

During all of this, MA Environmental Police heard this over LPS-7, and had a few officers already in the Spencer/Leicester area, which they got on scene first, and were reporting in from the crash site (deep in the woods) on portable, and giving a live update from the crashed airplane straight to Leicester PD dispatch via LPS-7.

I don't need to write a book of how things went after that, but it all worked out.

To summarize the scanner channels:
* Leicester Fire & Police freqs
* Spencer Ambulance, Fire & Police freqs
* Worcester Airport Fire, Maintenance & Police (dispatched a local FAA rep) to the scene; talk groups {Worc 800 TRS P25}
* Environmental Police talk group {State 800 TRS}
* LPS-7 {State 800 TRS}
* At one point, Worcester CMED unit was on LPS-7 and was using the UHF CMED frequencies to report to/from to Holden dispatch. I didn't get the CMED UHF freq.
* State Police troopers {State 800 TRS}. State Police backed off other responding troopers as so much public safety help was already there, and it was really a Leicester Fire & Police matter, and Worc AP/FAA matter.

I don't monitor any FAA Federal freqs, so no clue there. I usually monitor the aircraft emergency freq (121.500 AM) but I had it locked out. I don't monitor any Worc AP aircraft freqs, so unsure what freq he was on for Worc AP approach/departure, etc.

NIGHTHAWK01

Post by NIGHTHAWK01 »

WOW!!, thank you for the comprehensive information. I did pickup some MA State PD trunking comms in that area and I thought initially it was a lost/injured hiker/snowmobiler. I generally don't listen remotely to Worcester's Control Tower but can hear aircraft on the west fringe of Bradley's 119.0 control area (before they switch to 125.35). Also 121.5 mhz is very rarely used in an emergency, since aircraft are usually talking with air traffic control already. The aircraft emergency locator beacon does still send out a homing beacon sound on that frequency and the newer ELT beacons also send a data stream to an orbiting SAR satellite many times with exact GPS coordinates and some additional data is available in the registered data base about the aircraft. Generally the Civil Air Patrol gets called out for activation of ELT's to find/turn off etc. I don't think they were involved in this response and it would be interesting to find out why the ELT didn't go off. Next time I'm up at the Quabbin Resv (Tower Hill),Ware/Belchertown, I'll check IF the tower can be heard from there. I think in the past the ATIS continuous broadcast could be heard.
Ken
Chicopee, MA

disp617

Post by disp617 »

Here is a small gallery of images and a short video clip I captured while on scene. https://paulshea.zenfolio.com/p987982188