RTL Dongle w/TXCO, R820T2 Tuner, F Connector Available

Discussion of SDR's and their use in the Scan New England listening area.
Scott
Site Administrator

RTL Dongle w/TXCO, R820T2 Tuner, F Connector Available

Post by Scott »

Available in limited quantities, I just grabbed one as the price is significantly lower than other dongles that have TXCO (1 PPM) to virtually eliminate the drift that these devices suffer due to temperature changes.

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/thumbnet-special ... or-r820t2/
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"

wb1hbu

Post by wb1hbu »

Hello,

Thanks for posting. I bought two so I can play with trunk tracking.

73 Eric

wb1hbu

Post by wb1hbu »

Hello,

Any word on when they will ship? I got the feeling that it may be a few days due to ThumbNet being volunteer.

73 Eric

Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

I wondered the same thing and asked that question in the comments section at rtl-sdr.com this morning. No response yet. Other than the "thank you for your order" message I got last week I've heard nothing. I don't mind the delay, but I'd like to be informed of it. :)
Scott

wb1hbu

Post by wb1hbu »

Hello,

I got a shipper status update through paypal that my order is in process. I ordered mine Friday.

73 Eric

Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

I got one as well. No tracking info yet but it's progress.
Scott

MrSvenSven
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by MrSvenSven »

I ordered yesterday evening and received a tracking number this afternoon.

Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

I received a very nice email from the seller; meant to post this yesterday, indicating that mine had been shipped Monday but that the initial batch had gone out without USPS tracking #'s to try to save buyers a few bucks on shipping. Fine by me as USPS tracking doesn't seem to work very often anyway. He told me that I should contact him if I don't receive it by tomorrow and that he'd send another with tracking. I'm not sure that's necessary but the thought and the response were there. Ben got a tracking # so they must have changed plans along the way. In any event I'll follow up when mine arrives.

The company NooElec has also released a dongle with TXCO, but it still has the MCX connector on it as most R820T/T2 dongles do. It is selling at their website (http://www.nooelec.com) for $37.95 plus shipping. They purport that their TXCO works at 0.5 PPM. These are fun devices but if you want a "real" one spring for an Airspy. There is now a US distributor for them at http://www.airspy.us .
Scott

Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Mine arrived today. It is going to be installed on my feed computer as a remote access receiver via rtl_tcp if all goes well, or via SDRConsole Server if rtl_tcp doesn't fly. I'll follow up with a performance report asap. I expect it to be the same as a regular R820T2 dongle minus the drift.
Scott

wb1hbu

Post by wb1hbu »

Hello,

I got mine today as well. Mail at work can be iffy, but they arrived before the holiday. I have Monday off.

73 Eric

wb1hbu

Post by wb1hbu »

Hello,

I got a chance to setup the two dongles I bought. I went to the MIT Fleamarket today and got BNC to F adapters. So far they work good and seem right on frequency. I setup Unitrunker to use both dongles and it works.

73 Eric

Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Mine works fine as well. No need to make any PPM adjustments. I have it set up as a remote access receiver via SDR-Console. I tried to get rtl_tcp going in Windows but it is very unhappy even with an attempt to connect across the LAN. Setup for these dongles is exactly the same as any other RTL dongle.
Scott

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

Is everyone still happy with these? I'm looking at the NooElec version of this with the Mcx connector to replace my NooElec R820T. I've found that I'm not able to get some voice traffic using DSD+ as a trunk tracker. The Airspy has (of course) a much better receiver than R820T. Amazon has the Mini 2 for $23.95. From the reviews, this looks like a significant improvement over the original R820T.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

wb1hbu

Post by wb1hbu »

Hello,

I am still happy. The better oscillator really helps.

73 Eric

garys
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon. It should be here tomorrow sometime and I can try it out.
I'm finding 900 Mhz propagation unusual to say the least. Also, as I mentioned somewhere else, different repeaters located at the same site have different signal strengths. I can get some of the frequencies used in Kingston, but not others.
wb1hbu wrote:Hello,

I am still happy. The better oscillator really helps.

73 Eric
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.

MrSvenSven
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by MrSvenSven »

They just released a new version. I'm very happy with the old version descussed above. The F connector is great, it is sturdy and does not fall out or come loose even though my SDR is installed in a mobile setting.

http://www.thumbsat.com/thumbnet-radios

wb1hbu

Post by wb1hbu »

Hello,

The new one has a 0.5 PPM TCXO. More options, although I would go with the case and RF shielding.

73 Eric

ScanBoston
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by ScanBoston »

This will be my first entry. Way behind in this area of the hobby. But it's ordered...