Arinst Dreamkit Standalone SDR

Discussion of SDR's and their use in the Scan New England listening area.
Scott
Site Administrator

Arinst Dreamkit Standalone SDR

Post by Scott »

I took an early adopter leap and bought this one for portable use. Pretty cool out of the box but in many ways a definite work in progress. Hopefully they will add the capability of frequency steps and a "snap to step". The display is beautiful but the battery only lasts a few hours. There is a mini-USB connector which provides power, charging, and firmware updates. It will also run in HDSDR mode for use with that software, although I won't be doing that. It is VERY sensitive with even just a telescoping whip. The reported maximum signal input is -35dBm. I won't be connecting an external antenna based on that but my intent was for portable use anyway as mentioned.

To have 5 MHz of viewable spectrum in your hand is a pretty cool option. It does have a built-in speaker. Audio quality is not great but it is good enough. Firmware updates are easy; hopefully more will be coming soon. There is a growing volume of information on it, but I originally got sucked in at: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/arinst-sdr-drea ... bandwidth/ .

Arinst SDR Dreamkit.jpg
Arinst SDR Dreamkit.jpg (502.64 KiB) Viewed 119 times
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"