FCC Searching for licenses

Are you a beginner or an expert? Have a question about monitoring? Or a seasoned pro who has some tips and advice? This is the forum for you. Class is in session at Scanning 101, no extra credit needed.
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

FCC Searching for licenses

Post by W1KNE »

The discussion which slightly derailed the Ambulance Services topic brought up a good discussion that should be done.

How do you search for licenses or users of frequencies?

You know that Bill, CG, Myself, Jeff, and others are good at searching and submitting to the WIKI, but do you know the tools we use to search?

The most common one is the FCC's general menu reports. It's a long URL to remember, so I created a shortcut years ago at http://www.fccgmrs.com
The pros to this one are, you can search in a radius of coordinates. Just make sure when you do a coordinate radial search, you don't enter a state. Some licenses still reflect to corporate ownership, and if you put "MA" as the state, they won't display. Search results are clean and easy to sort through.
The cons to this one are, the site is slow, and it is often only partially functioning. My concern is the FCC will eliminate it someday.

Then there is the Radio Reference FCC search. It's free to all members, you don't need a paid subscription to use it. It's on their main page.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/ Scroll down to "FCC proximity search". Click the little page icon, set your area, and range, and go.
Pros: It has mapping software included in the results, so you can see where the results are coming from. You can enter coordinates based on a map for a quick search.
Cons: The display is out of order, and will show several results for the same license based on location. Also it misses some results sometimes (and doesn't display mobile only)

Finally there is our Scan New England FCC database. app.php/nefd This is good for quick raw output of call signs and licenses.
Don't want to wait for results from the FCC or deal with the RR search, this is your tool. Scott does an amazing job of updating this helpful tool.

Oh, and when all is said and done, your last resort is also Google. Yes, you can Google frequencies! I've done it before and have been amazed at sometimes you get the answer you can't elsewhere on it.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
W1MTW

Re: FCC Searching for licenses

Post by W1MTW »

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_Reports/ is the actual url. And guess what? It's not working as I write this!
Mark, W1MTW
Windham, ME
garys
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

The FCC database goes off line with annoying regularity. That aside, thanks for those links. It's much easier now to find new frequencies than it was in the pre Internet days. I remember going to the Customs House and then Quincy to search the Microfiche files for new licenses back in the 1980s and early 1990s.

I wouldn't ever think of searching Google or some other search site for frequencies. I've done it for phone numbers for other reasons, but not frequencies.

Thanks again.
W1MTW wrote: 03 Feb 2020 12:56 https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_Reports/ is the actual url. And guess what? It's not working as I write this!
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

W1MTW wrote: 03 Feb 2020 12:56 https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_Reports/ is the actual url. And guess what? It's not working as I write this!
The shortcut I posted , goes to that URL, and it is easier to remember, which is why I mentioned it.
Mike Fitzpatrick
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

And yet again, I filed yet another ticket about the non functioning General Menu Reports...

Really wish there was a good collaboration.
Mike Fitzpatrick
CG

Post by CG »

I don't know why the FCC maintains so many different links to the information, seems that it leads to more down links.
I have several saved for my searching. The main one I use is:
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSea ... vanced.jsp
My weekly search is from that page.
- I Start by checking "Part 90" in the Service Group.
- Under "Date Information", Date Type, I check "Grant" and "In the last week"
- Results Display changed to 100, then click GeoSearch
- I choose Connecticut and Massachusetts by holding CTRL and clicking on those states. I then repeat it with the counties to select most of CT and Western MA.
Click search and wait for the info to spit out.
Usually you get ones that are renewals but for whatever reason, a new callsign was given. Other times you get surprises like:
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSea ... ey=4245724
Keep in mind that getting the license doesn't mean you will start hearing them right away. Licensing is often the first thing done so it can be a year or more until they talk.

chris
jeffkett

Post by jeffkett »

I also filled out an FCC support ticket on Monday night.....Low and behold...I GOT a response.

The information you requested from the FCC can be found below in the body of the email.
If you have any questions contact us at
(877) 480-3201.
Thank You!
Case Id: HD0000700292
Summary: System Down
Description: Message from the NSAPI plugin:
No backend server available for connection: timed out after 10 seconds or idempotent set to OFF.

Build date/time: Dec 5 2006 11:10:07

Change Number: 871803
**Please do not reply back to this message. The e-mail address is configured for outgoing e-mail only.**
Dear Mr. Kettell,
Thanks for reporting.
Technical Difficulties - Issue Resolved
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We were experiencing some technical difficulties earlier; however, all systems are operational again. Please clear your internet cache and try the filing/search again (see instructions below). We apologize for the inconvenience.

Internet Explorer:

Click Tools
Click Internet Options
In the second section where it says Browsing History, click on the Delete button
Check Temporary Internet Files and Cookies button
Click the Delete button and then click on Okay button
Mozilla Firefox:

Select Menu on the upper right side of the browser
Select History
Select Clear Recent History
In the Time range to clear dropdown, select Everything
Check Cookies and Cache
Click the Clear now button
Google Chrome:

Click the Customize and Control button in the upper right of the browser
Select History
Select Clear browsing data
Use the Obliterate the following items from: drop down menu, select beginning of time
In the dialog that appears, select the checkboxes for Browsing history, Cookies and other site and plugin data, Cached images and files
Click Clear browsing data

If you have any further questions or need additional information, please submit a help request at https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/available-support-services or call the FCC Licensing Support Center at (877) 480-3201

Sincerely,

FCC Licensing Support Center
8:00 AM – 6:00 PM EST, M - F
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ref:MSG4248701

Shocking no less !!!!
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

jeffkett wrote: 04 Feb 2020 21:24 I also filled out an FCC support ticket on Monday night.....Low and behold...I GOT a response.

Shocking no less !!!!
I got the same response. However it seems to be acting up, yet again, this morning.
Mike Fitzpatrick
ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

There have been some ODD Commonwealth licenses over the years, some used for short-term, others special events or specific facility Ops.

This one Odder as the POC retired in May of 2018

453.1125 likely to interface with WQEH461

cdgordon wrote: 04 Feb 2020 09:44 I don't know why the FCC maintains so many different links to the information, seems that it leads to more down links.
I have several saved for my searching. The main one I use is:
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSea ... vanced.jsp
My weekly search is from that page.
- I Start by checking "Part 90" in the Service Group.
- Under "Date Information", Date Type, I check "Grant" and "In the last week"
- Results Display changed to 100, then click GeoSearch
- I choose Connecticut and Massachusetts by holding CTRL and clicking on those states. I then repeat it with the counties to select most of CT and Western MA.
Click search and wait for the info to spit out.
Usually you get ones that are renewals but for whatever reason, a new callsign was given. Other times you get surprises like:
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSea ... ey=4245724
Keep in mind that getting the license doesn't mean you will start hearing them right away. Licensing is often the first thing done so it can be a year or more until they talk.

chris
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"
ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Yup, running a simple Call sign works, but a Freq search by State is spinning the drain, till the time out 5-8 min's later
W1KNE wrote: 05 Feb 2020 07:19 I got the same response. However it seems to be acting up, yet again, this morning.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"
garys

Post by garys »

The FCC database is being weird again. Using this website works, but the others listed here just give me a security protocol violation message.

I should say, it sort of works, but returns no results.

Maybe I've been bad or something.

Gary
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

garys wrote: 19 Jul 2020 20:29 The FCC database is being weird again. Using this website works, but the others listed here just give me a security protocol violation message.

Maybe I've been bad or something.

Gary
I am getting the same message. I opened a ticket with them.
Mike Fitzpatrick
garys

Post by garys »

At least I know it's not me!

Gary
W1KNE wrote: 19 Jul 2020 20:30 I am getting the same message. I opened a ticket with them.
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

FCC confirmed that the server had developed an issue over the weekend. Should be resolved now.
Mike Fitzpatrick
garys

Post by garys »

Computers, because they have very accurate clocks, understand human patterns of work, and are evil, do that on purpose.

You can't turn your back on them for one second.
W1KNE wrote: 20 Jul 2020 12:30 FCC confirmed that the server had developed an issue over the weekend. Should be resolved now.
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

This reminds me I need to do an update of NEFD...which I can't do when General Menu Reports no worky...
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"
Scanner Master Customer Service Rep
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

Why is it when I try to work on a long overdue project does the FCC's stupid General Menu Reports system go down...
Message from the NSAPI plugin:
No backend server available for connection: timed out after 10 seconds or idempotent set to OFF.

Build date/time: Dec 5 2006 11:10:07

Change Number: 871803
2006? Maybe time to update that build to something built within the last five years?

Very frustrating to say the least. Maybe they should use some of the billions (with a B) they receive in "regulatory fees" to upgrade their servers.
Mike Fitzpatrick
KC1DVN

Post by KC1DVN »

Bryan KC1DVN :pint:
garys

Post by garys »

That works well, although at times it can be slow. There are more reports available at the "Table of Contents" in the upper left hand corner. Sometimes I'll search by name using the wildcard feature. It's surprising what comes up from time to time.
KC1DVN wrote: 25 Sep 2020 11:34 I use this address.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_ ... essible=NO
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

KC1DVN wrote: 25 Sep 2020 11:34 I use this address.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_ ... essible=NO
Yup, this was mentioned in my first post. The easy way to get there is http://www.fccgmrs.com

It's down more than it's up it seems.
Mike Fitzpatrick
KC1DVN

Post by KC1DVN »

garys wrote: 25 Sep 2020 12:33 That works well, although at times it can be slow. There are more reports available at the "Table of Contents" in the upper left hand corner. Sometimes I'll search by name using the wildcard feature. It's surprising what comes up from time to time.
Wildcard is good I program what I believe to be interesting and listen for a hit..
garys

Post by garys »

I actually meant the wildcard feature on the FCC license site. If you don't know the precise name of the company, put in a partial name and it will come up with everything that's close and some things that aren't.

It's how I found all of the licenses for a couple of systems.
KC1DVN wrote: 26 Sep 2020 10:43 Wildcard is good I program what I believe to be interesting and listen for a hit..
KC1DVN

Post by KC1DVN »

garys wrote: 26 Sep 2020 13:14 I actually meant the wildcard feature on the FCC license site. If you don't know the precise name of the company, put in a partial name and it will come up with everything that's close and some things that aren't.

It's how I found all of the licenses for a couple of systems.
ill have to try it that way thanks for the tip. :pint: