Welcome to Scanning 101

Are you a beginner or an expert? Have a question about monitoring? Or a seasoned pro who has some tips and advice? This is the forum for you. Class is in session at Scanning 101, no extra credit needed.
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Welcome to Scanning 101

Post by W1KNE »

Welcome to Scanning 101. Our new section here at Scan New England to help educate both beginners and seasoned scanner professionals. Have a question about your scanner, or antenna? Want to learn about the latest technology? Maybe you have a tip for other scanner users to help them improve their hobby. This is the place to be! A couple of ground rules…

1) All scanning and radio hobby questions are welcomed here. No question is too dumb and no one will be ridiculed for asking a question. If you don’t like the question or feel it was too dumb, just move on.
Any demeaning incidents like this will be deleted posthaste. Everyone who is a registered member is welcome to ask any question here…
2) No questions or advice will be given to break the law. Such as trying to decrypt communications or monitor communications not allowed by the federal government.
3) All advice is to be taken “at your own risk” and Scan New England is not responsible for any damage, injury or property loss that could occur from improperly following advice given.
4) Don’t be discouraged if we don’t have the answer! We’re all pretty seasoned folks here but even we can be stumped.
5) This isn’t the place to ask to help ID a frequency. Please use the proper regional forum for that.
6) All rules of the Terms of Service still apply.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me.

IggyWFD

Re: Welcome to Scanning 101

Post by IggyWFD »

Thanks Mike.... Great IDEA..... I think we all can & benefit from this forum.
John :)
John
BC IV, BC H/L, BC210, BC100, BC350A, BC100XLT, 996XT, 396t, 436, HP1, SDS100

jbella

Post by jbella »

W1KNE wrote:
11 Sep 2020 10:15

2) No questions or advice will be given to break the law. Such as trying to decrypt communications or monitor communications not allowed by the federal government.

I think for beginners the easiest thing to say about encryption is "It can't be done."

You'd have to have the proper encryption hardware or software for a 2 way radio, and the proper encryption key. And if you think you can guess an encryption key...... well........ Yeah, sure. Good luck with that.

bfrederi

Post by bfrederi »

Excellent idea, Mike. I hope people take advantage of this opportunity. It can be intimidating for newcomers or less technically inclined folks to ask a question in a forum of experts like this.
Bruce
Burlington, MA

IggyWFD

Post by IggyWFD »

Hi Mike, Here is some ideas for topics...( I hope you don't mind)

A clear detail of all the different digital formats such as LTR, P25 standard, P25 one trunk, Moto Type I & II, EDACS ect....and how best to use them when programming.

How to locate these different systems when doing frequency searches....

Setting up Fleet Maps..

APCO TRS systems..... (maybe that should be with the first group)

Differences between Analog & digital....and when & how to determine their type and use......

The listed mode... T, D, DE, TE......

some of these things can be confusing and some are clear but not to all.....

Thanks,
John
John
BC IV, BC H/L, BC210, BC100, BC350A, BC100XLT, 996XT, 396t, 436, HP1, SDS100

W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

IggyWFD wrote:
17 Sep 2020 11:30
Hi Mike, Here is some ideas for topics...( I hope you don't mind)

A clear detail of all the different digital formats such as LTR, P25 standard, P25 one trunk, Moto Type I & II, EDACS ect....and how best to use them when programming.

How to locate these different systems when doing frequency searches....

Setting up Fleet Maps..

APCO TRS systems..... (maybe that should be with the first group)

Differences between Analog & digital....and when & how to determine their type and use......

The listed mode... T, D, DE, TE......

some of these things can be confusing and some are clear but not to all.....

Thanks,
John
John,

If you have tips and tricks, you're more than welcome to post anything you wish.
This forum is for any experienced user to give tips as well as to ask questions.
Us mods aren't the only experts here (far from it!)
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me.