How do I monitor this???

Are you a beginner or an expert? Have a question about monitoring? Or a seasoned pro who has some tips and advice? This is the forum for you. Class is in session at Scanning 101, no extra credit needed.
riskan20

How do I monitor this???

Post by riskan20 »

Looking thru the "Hospital" frequencies (and some others) I come across these weird "tone" types that I don't understand....they are not CTCSS or DPL so what are they? Is this a stand alone NXDN or DMR channel? This is from the Roger Williams medical center.
Operations 461.6750 R C01 SL:1 TG:300 - Operations (Security?)

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Re: How do I monitor this???

Post by ecps92 »

Yes - DMR

Analog = NO PL aka CSQ or with a PL/CTCSS or DCS tone
P25 = NAC displayed as N followed by 3 characters which contain 0-9 and the letters A-F ONLY ie: NAFF
DMR contain Coloure Codes which are displayed begining with a C and two digits ie: C01
NXDN contain a RAN [Radio Access Number] which are displayed begining with an R and generally two digits ie: R14
riskan20 wrote:
27 Sep 2020 12:12
Looking thru the "Hospital" frequencies (and some others) I come across these weird "tone" types that I don't understand....they are not CTCSS or DPL so what are they? Is this a stand alone NXDN or DMR channel? This is from the Roger Williams medical center.
Operations 461.6750 R C01 SL:1 TG:300 - Operations (Security?)
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

riskan20

Post by riskan20 »

OK Thank you. So if I wanted to monitor a single DMR frequency as opposed to a trunked DMR system, how would I enter the text for this in DSDPlus? Would it be: DMR, 1, 1, 300, 461.6750, 0.0,1 I want to make a list of all interesting individual DMR freqs. Then when I get the DMR upgrade for radio I will program scanner with this list.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

I would suggest spending time with the documents of DSD+ and your SDR for help.

As to a scanner, all depends on the software you are going to purchase/use, many are very intuitive, if you spend time to digest/read thru it more than once and have it avail for reference regularly

Not having a DMR Radio - can't help
Not having any SDR - can't help
riskan20 wrote:
27 Sep 2020 12:45
OK Thank you. So if I wanted to monitor a single DMR frequency as opposed to a trunked DMR system, how would I enter the text for this in DSDPlus? Would it be: DMR, 1, 1, 300, 461.6750, 0.0,1 I want to make a list of all interesting individual DMR freqs. Then when I get the DMR upgrade for radio I will program scanner with this list.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"

cdgordon
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by cdgordon »

The easiest thing to do is to simply type the frequency into the FMPx portion of DSDPlus and make notes unless you plan on monitoring them 24/7, identifying users, etc.
In DSDPlus, there is a feature called Pseudo Network IDs. It allows you to keep all the conventional channels separate as most use TGID 1 and no system ID. This allows you to make a fake system ID and have separate entries for each of these systems in the .Networks, .Frequencies, .Groups, and .Radios files. It is a lot of editing for something you may never monitor.

chris

riskan20

Post by riskan20 »

cdgordon wrote:
27 Sep 2020 13:07
The easiest thing to do is to simply type the frequency into the FMPx portion of DSDPlus and make notes unless you plan on monitoring them 24/7, identifying users, etc.
In DSDPlus, there is a feature called Pseudo Network IDs. It allows you to keep all the conventional channels separate as most use TGID 1 and no system ID. This allows you to make a fake system ID and have separate entries for each of these systems in the .Networks, .Frequencies, .Groups, and .Radios files. It is a lot of editing for something you may never monitor.

chris
Wow this SDR radio is VERY complicated! I always keep getting screwed up with all the damn NUMBERS!!! It is very cryptic to me still. I would like to have a cheat sheet of ALL the types of protocols (DMR, NXDN, CAP+, P25) and how to type them out correctly for both TRUNKED and INDIVIDUAL. Then I can edit the "SITES LOADER", FREQUENCIES" and "NETWORKS" files. The instructions in those txt files in the DSD folder are not clear enough to understand and information is too scattered about. I just simply want to make a list of the individual (not trunked) DMR channels I am interested in listening to. But I end up guessing at the way to type the lines out and keep getting errors. I need a template to follow till I can memorize this stuff.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

Didn't DSD+ come with many of the major systems already defaulted ?
riskan20 wrote:
27 Sep 2020 13:39
Wow this SDR radio is VERY complicated! I always keep getting screwed up with all the damn NUMBERS!!! It is very cryptic to me still. I would like to have a cheat sheet of ALL the types of protocols (DMR, NXDN, CAP+, P25) and how to type them out correctly for both TRUNKED and INDIVIDUAL. Then I can edit the "SITES LOADER", FREQUENCIES" and "NETWORKS" files. The instructions in those txt files in the DSD folder are not clear enough to understand and information is too scattered about. I just simply want to make a list of the individual (not trunked) DMR channels I am interested in listening to. But I end up guessing at the way to type the lines out and keep getting errors. I need a template to follow till I can memorize this stuff.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

riskan20

Post by riskan20 »

ecps92 wrote:
27 Sep 2020 16:20
Didn't DSD+ come with many of the major systems already defaulted ?
DSD+ might be already defaulted to RECOGNIZE the systems but manually entering in the data correctly to the SITE LOADER, NETWORKS & FREQUENCIES files is what is confusing. I mean once I know exactly how to lay it out I'm fine. But I am confused by some of the numbers and where to find them. Some sites in the RR database don't have ID's for the systems so I go around in circles trying to fill in the numbers. Templates would be helpful for each protocol. Clearly laid out.

cdgordon
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by cdgordon »

open up the DSDPlus.FREQUENCIES file
Look at the very beginning of the file.
Follow the template.

Each editable file (Networks, Sites, Frequencies, Groups, Radios) has the template at the beginning of the file

riskan20

Post by riskan20 »

OK THIS is one of the systems I am trying to set up:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=22591

Freqs:
010 (A) Fall River Bristol, MA 01 939.300c 02 939.325c 03 939.475c 04 936.9625 05 937.8875 06 937.900
07 937.9125

This system has a 25 mile radius so I am pretty sure I will be able to hear it. I am about 16 miles west of Fall River. Here is how I set it up:

PROTOCOL network ID SiteNumber OTAchannelNumber TXfrequency RXfrequency sortOrder

DMR | no network ID! | 010 (A) | don't know what this is | Don't know except for freqs above^: | 1

There is NO network ID.......Site number is easy to find but there are 2 things in site number, "010" and "(A)". Dont know what OTA channel Number is. Why do I need 2 frequencies? There are only the frequencies listed like above^. Sort order is just 1,2,3,4 etc so thats easy to figure out.

So there are some discrepancies that the instructions don't address, unless I am not understanding it. Another thing I want to monitor is the Roger Williams Medical Center single DMR freqs.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

IGNORE the Radius information from RR, it is only an approximation and all depends on your actual set-up [YMMV] I can hear systems well beyond the RR approximations and then there are others I can not hear at all and I am within that radius

Also you have gone too deep right away, back out to [back out of the deep end of the pool]
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7792 and the SysID is there
riskan20 wrote:
28 Sep 2020 12:22
OK THIS is one of the systems I am trying to set up:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=22591

Freqs:
010 (A) Fall River Bristol, MA 01 939.300c 02 939.325c 03 939.475c 04 936.9625 05 937.8875 06 937.900
07 937.9125

This system has a 25 mile radius so I am pretty sure I will be able to hear it. I am about 16 miles west of Fall River. Here is how I set it up:

PROTOCOL network ID SiteNumber OTAchannelNumber TXfrequency RXfrequency sortOrder

DMR | no network ID! | 010 (A) | don't know what this is | Don't know except for freqs above^: | 1

There is NO network ID.......Site number is easy to find but there are 2 things in site number, "010" and "(A)". Dont know what OTA channel Number is. Why do I need 2 frequencies? There are only the frequencies listed like above^. Sort order is just 1,2,3,4 etc so thats easy to figure out.

So there are some discrepancies that the instructions don't address, unless I am not understanding it.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

riskan20

Post by riskan20 »

ecps92 wrote:
28 Sep 2020 12:31
IGNORE the Radius information from RR, it is only an approximation and all depends on your actual set-up [YMMV] I can hear systems well beyond the RR approximations and then there are others I can not hear at all and I am within that radius

Also you have gone too deep right away, back out to [back out of the deep end of the pool]
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7792 and the SysID is there
OK Thanks...I will try to set this up again and see if it works. The problem I was having wasn't reception cause I havent got that far yet. The problem was ERRORS showing up in activity log when I start DSD plus because I didnt set system up right in the 3 files (networks/freqs/site loader) So if I can set this up right and get no errors then I can see if I have a signal and if anything comes across.

ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

See if you can tune to it first, before wasting your time configuring for something out of your range.
riskan20 wrote:
28 Sep 2020 12:35
OK Thanks...I will try to set this up again and see if it works. The problem I was having wasn't reception cause I havent got that far yet. The problem was ERRORS showing up in activity log when I start DSD plus because I didnt set system up right in the 3 files (networks/freqs/site loader) So if I can set this up right and get no errors then I can see if I have a signal and if anything comes across.
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies

riskan20

Post by riskan20 »

OK this time successful setting system up...I was able to connect but signal dropped a few times. But I can receive this system perfectly on the Johnston RI site. I just wanted to see if I could work the Fall River one just as learning experience. Increasing gain didnt help. But at least I understand setting DMR systems up a little better.

riskan20

Post by riskan20 »

ecps92 wrote:
28 Sep 2020 12:54
See if you can tune to it first, before wasting your time configuring for something out of your range.
I was mostly concerned about learning how to set this up just for practice and getting it to work, but yes if I find another system I can just monitor the control channel for activity before typing in the data.

cdgordon
SNE and Wiki Moderator

Post by cdgordon »

All the basic system information is received when you go to the Control Channel. What may be missing on some systems is the channel number for the Control Channel.
This system is listed as DMR but that is like saying you drive a Chevrolet rather than saying a Chevrolet Suburban. The system type is DMR but not conventional DMR. It is Connect Plus, abbreviated as Con+ for DSDPlus. The same thing that you find by running the control channel. The program tells you in the lower left corner of the Event Log window.

If you already have the Network set up, you simply need to add a new site to the .SITES file and the new frequencies to the .FREQUENCIES file.

One pretty decent option would be to look at Scan New England WIKI and see information that can be used with DSDPlus.
https://www.snewiki.com/wiki/index.php/ ... bo_Systems

chris