Worth moving antenna to attic?

Are you a beginner or an expert? Have a question about monitoring? Or a seasoned pro who has some tips and advice? This is the forum for you. Class is in session at Scanning 101, no extra credit needed.
jtshea

Worth moving antenna to attic?

Post by jtshea »

Hi. Thanks for the add. I have a mini discone antenna in a first floor window of a one story home. Right now, I’m receiving public service that is 25 miles away. If I run some cable through the walls and get it into the attic, maybe gaining 10 feet in height, is that likely to be a noticeable difference for presently weak signals?
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Re: Worth moving antenna to attic?

Post by W1KNE »

If your relegated to an indoor antenna, then the answer is yes. But keep it about 2-3 away from the roof shingles. I have an attic antenna at my parents house out in the Berkshires and have fantastic reception with it.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
garys
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

As long as you don't have a metal roof.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.
jtshea

Post by jtshea »

I managed to fish a cable up through the wall. I banged my head a couple times, but my mini discone is hanging in the attic now. I've been testing by setting up memory banks for counties that are further away. My best so far is a town that is 65 miles away.
garys
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

No radio project is complete until you've whacked your head at least once, cut both hands trying to blindly run a cable, and had to run to some store to get a part or tool you never thought you'd need.
jtshea wrote: 14 Nov 2020 15:54 I managed to fish a cable up through the wall. I banged my head a couple times, but my mini discone is hanging in the attic now. I've been testing by setting up memory banks for counties that are further away. My best so far is a town that is 65 miles away.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.