Trouble receiving Cape Fire.

Are you a beginner or an expert? Have a question about monitoring? Or a seasoned pro who has some tips and advice? This is the forum for you. Class is in session at Scanning 101, no extra credit needed.
k1gtx

Trouble receiving Cape Fire.

Post by k1gtx »

Hi All, Having trouble receiving the control channel(s) on the cape fire trunk system. Don't seem to be receiving the control channel. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
garys
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Re: Trouble receiving Cape Fire.

Post by garys »

More information would be helpful.

What type of scanner? What frequency of frequencies are you trying to enter? What is your location?
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

k1gtx wrote: 28 Jan 2021 20:12 Hi All, Having trouble receiving the control channel(s) on the cape fire trunk system. Don't seem to be receiving the control channel. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
When you say the "Cape Fire Trunk system", do you mean the MSP trunk?

If so, which MSP zone are you trying to receive? There are four that cover different areas of the cape.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
deacon

Post by deacon »

I use CC 859.2375. I seem to get all of the Cape PD & FD.

Chuck
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

deacon wrote: 29 Jan 2021 07:52 I use CC 859.2375. I seem to get all of the Cape PD & FD.

Chuck
What he said! The CC did rotate to 859.2375 a few weeks ago and has been constant there since. If you're not programmed for that to be a CC you should. Check the wiki and ensure you have all of the CC's for the system programmed.
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"
Scanner Master Customer Service Rep
garys

Post by garys »

What if he's out in Zone 6 land? Or for that matter, what if he's off Cape in southeast MA? Which is why I asked about his location.
Scott wrote: 29 Jan 2021 09:17 What he said! The CC did rotate to 859.2375 a few weeks ago and has been constant there since. If you're not programmed for that to be a CC you should. Check the wiki and ensure you have all of the CC's for the system programmed.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

True, I'm making an assumption it's Zone 04. That being said 855.5375 was the primary control channel for a LONG time. I'm taking a guess that perhaps it was not programmed as such and that's now why the OP is having a problem receiving the system. But you could be entirely correct. I'm sure we'll find out.
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"
Scanner Master Customer Service Rep
garys

Post by garys »

West Yarmouth according to the FCC license data. So, Zone 4.
k1gtx

Post by k1gtx »

deacon wrote: 29 Jan 2021 07:52 I use CC 859.2375. I seem to get all of the Cape PD & FD.

Chuck
Thanks, Chuck and everyone else. That was the issue!
ecps92
Wiki Administrator

Post by ecps92 »

As had been mentioned, always program "ALL" of the Control channels for the Zone/Site you want to monitor, as the Control Channels [CC] do tend to rotate as needed.
k1gtx wrote: 30 Jan 2021 19:50 Thanks, Chuck and everyone else. That was the issue!
Bill Dunn N1KUG
Cruise Ship Frequencies
http://scanmaritime.com

"The tougher it is to find a frequency, the more it makes me want to work to find it. - I've learned to use the SEARCH Button"
Mark SNE Moderator

Post by Mark SNE Moderator »

I'll take it a step further. Program in all known control channels as well as all other frequencies within that system/zone. You can't go wrong doing it this way. Modern scanners can do control channel only trunking, in which the scanner will figure out the rest but if you have them all programmed and a new control channel changes without notice, then you will already be ready for it.
Mark,

Scan New England Moderator
Westchester64

Post by Westchester64 »

Newbie to the forum wondering how to set up my BCD996T to monitor only a specific fire department or two. I do have the proper control channel but am getting too many departments. I'm really not interested in monitoring all Cape departments. Anyone feeling generous? :confused:
Last edited by Westchester64 on 26 Feb 2021 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Mark SNE Moderator

Post by Mark SNE Moderator »

If you have the Mass State Police Trunk System programmed properly to receive Zone 4 then you just program in the talk group of the specific department you want to monitor. All the information for talk group numbers are in the wiki section of the website here.
Mark,

Scan New England Moderator
Westchester64

Post by Westchester64 »

Thank you, Mark. Would you please mind looking at the images attached and possibly pointing out what I have set incorrectly?
Attachments
Westchester64.pdf
(111.7 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

So based on your PDF file, and I know little to nothing about FreeScan, is that you combined the frequencies of multiple cape sites into one site.

You need to have each zone as a separate site. When you put in Zone 04 and if you put in Zone 11, both of those sites have been rebanded, but your offset table is zero.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Westchester64

Post by Westchester64 »

One thing I just realized was I Had no quick keys assigned to any system or groups.

Any detectives who can take a moment to look at my attachment and give some advice on how I can monitor, let's say Orleans FD it would be appreciated. Once I'm told what I have set improperly I think I can figure out the rest.
MrSvenSven

Post by MrSvenSven »

Click on "CC MOT/P25". This opens the settings for that trunk system. (unrelated, but maybe consider renaming "CC MOT/P25" to "Cape Cod 800MHz" too)

Just about in the center of the screen are two options called "ID Search" and "ID Scan". Make sure it's set to ID Scan. This causes the system to only scan the groups that you have defined. ID Search will monitor for every talkgroup on the system.
Westchester64

Post by Westchester64 »

Thank you both for taking the time to assist!

Is the way I have PD setup correctly?