set up

Are you a beginner or an expert? Have a question about monitoring? Or a seasoned pro who has some tips and advice? This is the forum for you. Class is in session at Scanning 101, no extra credit needed.
murphcc1

set up

Post by murphcc1 »

So I've got a few scanners (SDS100, SDS200, Pro-96, BC125at, BC355N) and few antennas ( Larsen Triband mobile, Remtronix 800, Diamond MR73SA Dual band).
Been trying to pick up some DXing but nothing really comes up.
These antenna are sitting in my east facing window as I am in a townhouse and cant put things outside or on the roof, I am at an elevation of 145' with higher ground to the east but lower ground to the west, 1.5 miles from Buzzards Bay. Cant really get the antennas to the west side of the house.
Tried different freq ranges both Low band, VHF and UHF but nothing comes up.

Anything I can try?

Thanks
Murph
Scott
Site Administrator

Re: set up

Post by Scott »

Hi Mike,

The Diamond antenna you speak of seems to be a mag mount, and the Larson has a NMO fitting as I recall; is it on a mag mount? And, if so are either/both on something magnetic? Unless the antenna is a 1/2 wave, which I don't believe either are, they do require some sort of ground plane for optimum performance. You can try experimenting with that and see if it makes any improvement. There are also plans out there for simple dipole antennas that can be hung vertically in a window; maybe worth a look.

This is an interesting topic of conversation as I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat. I know with the right setup it can be done, or so I'd think, because in some of the better band openings I've been able to stand in my backyard with a portable scanner and a Diamond dual band antenna and listen to NYPD. I think the height above average terrain becomes a little less important when there is tropospheric ducting involved. Under normal circumstances I suffer from it, especially the ridge along the middle of the cape, despite my tower mounted antennas being about 140' above sea level.
Scott
SNE Maintenance/Janitor/Fixer of "Things"
Scanner Master Customer Service Rep
murphcc1

Post by murphcc1 »

Yes, both mag mounts, magnetically connected to the window trim metal corner bead of my window.
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Not sure how well that's going to work. Have you tried them on top of a fridge? Or do you have an AC hanging out a window that you can put them on?
Scott
murphcc1

Post by murphcc1 »

Which radio would be more suited to DXing?
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Any of them. It's going to come down to the antennas more than anything else.

I'm not saying that a better ground plane under the antennas is going to put you over the top, but it ain't gonna hurt either.

On another note entirely, maybe @ecps92 will chime in...as I recall he has an indoor beam that is rotatable but I can't offer you any other details on it. As I recall he does pretty well with it but I'm not sure what his height above sea level and/or average terrain is. Just another thought.
Scott
murphcc1

Post by murphcc1 »

Diamond site says its a 1/4 wave on 2M and 1/2 wave on 70m.

So, should I find a metal ground plane?
How big should it be?
Or keep it away from metal?
Tim

Post by Tim »

SDS 200, BCD996P2, PSR-600, Pro-2006 and TRX-1. Home ant.- Par Mon-3. Handheld ant.- Gemtronics 800 mhz antenna,Gemtronics 830B Base Angle antenna, David Clark headset. :Bruins:
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Post by W1KNE »

I moved this to the Scanning 101 forum, it is a better fit here.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Tim wrote: 16 Sep 2021 22:26 Murphy,
Give this a try.
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/ ... ts_id=7530
This is a good idea but will only work with the Larsen antenna, assuming it is NMO, and it will also require a male N to female "something" and some other coax.

Murph, ideally a good piece of metal with the antenna in the middle of it will give you the best omnidirectional pattern...or one would assume.

The bottom line is you'll never know without trying, but frankly none of this may get you over the top for DX purposes....or on a positive note....just a little tweak here and there might.
Scott
murphcc1

Post by murphcc1 »

Thanks to all........gonna give the oven pan a test and see how that does, both the Larsen(yes NMO mount) and the Diamond.
Take them off the window opening and see what happens.

Also thinking of getting like 50' of coax and get that Diamond to the west side of the house, any thoughts on that?
The living room and my radios are on the east side of the house, with the highest point on the CAPE just about a mile east of me, and double the elevation of where I am now, I don't get much to the east except the MSP Trunk system.
I can get some Milair, refuelers off the coast, because of their altitudes, but cant even get the OTIS base tower and it's only 5 miles from me.

Murph
Tim

Post by Tim »

Probably better to just move the radio. You will have loss of signal through that much cable. I was wondering if the building your in has any radio transmitters on the roof, that could be another reason. :Bruins:
SDS 200, BCD996P2, PSR-600, Pro-2006 and TRX-1. Home ant.- Par Mon-3. Handheld ant.- Gemtronics 800 mhz antenna,Gemtronics 830B Base Angle antenna, David Clark headset. :Bruins:
murphcc1

Post by murphcc1 »

Thanks.......can't move the radio as it's on my side table next to my couch listening to it while watching tv.
Gonna try to go longer coax, I realize the loss through the cable but should be better reception due to the elevation.

Nothing on the roof.

Thanks
Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Do you have attic access by any chance? I'm guessing no but if so...
Scott
murphcc1

Post by murphcc1 »

No, no attic access.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Scott
Site Administrator

Post by Scott »

Tim wrote: 17 Sep 2021 14:07 Scott,
This could help!!

https://centerfireantenna.com/parts-and ... plane-kit/
No experience with them but the old Mon 58's used to have an optional ground plane kit. They were quite good base antennas when used with one. Might help!
Scott