MBTA Provice

A forum for discussion of the many trunked radio systems in and around our listening area.
disp617

MBTA Provice

Post by disp617 »

I've been trying to run this system on unitrunker after not running it for over a year. I notice the control channel 851.475 spews erroneous data and doesn't follow the system. I see on occasion sitepro come up as the system type. Is the control channel really encrypted now?

From what I understand if you have the provoice option on a uniden scanner it will still track the system properly.
W1KNE
Owner-Webmaster

Re: MBTA Provice

Post by W1KNE »

disp617 wrote: 23 Jul 2022 18:40 I've been trying to run this system on unitrunker after not running it for over a year. I notice the control channel 851.475 spews erroneous data and doesn't follow the system. I see on occasion sitepro come up as the system type. Is the control channel really encrypted now?

From what I understand if you have the provoice option on a uniden scanner it will still track the system properly.
I listened to the Orange Line rail fire from Thursday at work with no issue on my 996P2. I had it locked to the Orange Road TG and it followed all the conversations.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer - RF Enthusiast - Municipal Fire Alarm Collector
Owner: Scan New England - NECRAT.US
Issues with Scan New England can be privately addressed to me.
disp617

Post by disp617 »

From what I've seen on radio reference the uniden scanners will still follow it but I guess the USB dongles I use for unitrunker won't
garys
Forums and Wiki Moderator

Post by garys »

It wouldn't be the dongles per se, it would be Unitrunker. I haven't used Unitrunker in some time so I don't recall if it follows EDACS trunking. Pro Voice is just digital voice, it doesn't involve the trunking part of the system.

DSDPlus follows the trunking and processes Pro Voice audio. I use two different brands of dongle on the rare occasions when I listen and have no issues.
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.
disp617

Post by disp617 »

garys wrote: 25 Jul 2022 11:04 It wouldn't be the dongles per se, it would be Unitrunker. I haven't used Unitrunker in some time so I don't recall if it follows EDACS trunking. Pro Voice is just digital voice, it doesn't involve the trunking part of the system.

DSDPlus follows the trunking and processes Pro Voice audio. I use two different brands of dongle on the rare occasions when I listen and have no issues.
Thats the thing. The dongles worked fine before but now instead of edacs it shows the system as sitepro and spews random data and not the preciously stored system information

I didn't think dsd followed provoice trunking, I thought it just decodes the provoice audio?
garys

Post by garys »

You're right, DSDPlus doesn't follow EDACS. For some reason, my brain never retains that. :(
I keep meaning to try Unitrunker again, but never seem to find the time.
disp617 wrote: 25 Jul 2022 17:55 Thats the thing. The dongles worked fine before but now instead of edacs it shows the system as sitepro and spews random data and not the preciously stored system information

I didn't think dsd followed provoice trunking, I thought it just decodes the provoice audio?
We're peace loving people, we're not hunting trouble, but if trouble should find us, we'll stand up and fight.
disp617

Post by disp617 »

garys wrote: 25 Jul 2022 21:22 You're right, DSDPlus doesn't follow EDACS. For some reason, my brain never retains that. :(
I keep meaning to try Unitrunker again, but never seem to find the time.
Let me know when you do. I want to make sure it's not me lol
ScanBoston

Post by ScanBoston »

Looks like by 2025 it will be P25-P2. https://bc.mbta.com/business_center/bid ... ns/?dbid=1
wltrsf

Post by wltrsf »

ScanBoston wrote: 26 Jul 2022 12:15 Looks like by 2025 it will be P25-P2. https://bc.mbta.com/business_center/bid ... ns/?dbid=1
I may be getting old but I don't understand this part of the contract ----"The improved system will provide over 1,200 trunked talkgroups."

1200 talkgroups?? Can somebody explain the need ?
garys

Post by garys »

There isn't. However one of the bidders may only be able to provide 1,199 trunked Talk Groups and so won't be able to meet the specification.

If they are operating under MGL Chapter 30B (Uniform Procurement Law), the contract must go to the "lowest responsive bidder." A bidder can be non responsive for any number of reasons. If the specifications say that all proposals must be delivered to a specific office at the MBTA by 4:00PM on July 26, 2022 and the a proposal shows up at 4:01PM then it is not supposed to be even looked at because it is non responsive.

The project I ran tossed out without even glancing at a proposal because it showed up the morning after close of business on the day it was required to be there.

I don't know if the MBTA is required to use Chapter 30B since it's an authority, not a state agency.

Public sector bidding and contracting is very complicated.

wltrsf wrote: 26 Jul 2022 18:57 I may be getting old but I don't understand this part of the contract ----"The improved system will provide over 1,200 trunked talkgroups."

1200 talkgroups?? Can somebody explain the need ?